Where did Yzerman go wrong with the rebuild?

Nnowski

Jun 11, 2024
Didn't walman get traded for future considerations that weren't even disclosed? That is essentially paying nothing to move him.

Most drafts less than half the second round picks ever play more than 100 games. Be nice if some of them hit but it is a crap shoot. If he was whiffing in the first round consistently that would be a story.
Most teams aren't picking as high as the Wings were for 5 years

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
sometimes a Michelin star chef will have a snack while the entree is baking in the oven. If we are having this same conversation in 2026 then yes I will concede the point. His timeline was and is the long road.
Oh believe me in 2026 we still going to talk about same, team going to be better, just a little bit, not enough to complete for the cup, just for wild card

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Wings had to get rid of Walman and that second rounder to get that sweet cap relief to... uh... (scratches head) waste most of that relief on Gus and Campbell.
The rumors were that Walman wasn’t exactly endearing himself to management due to some behavior behind the scenes. If you’re a bad defenseman, which Walman is, it’s hard to overcome that.

flychairman

May 23, 2023
The rumors were that Walman wasn’t exactly endearing himself to management due to some behavior behind the scenes. If you’re a bad defenseman, which Walman is, it’s hard to overcome that.
Yes, the rumors have been mentioned on this board dozens of times.

The bigger issue is using that cap relief on Gus and Campbell.

The minor issue is not trying waivers and Grand rapids tough love on walman first.

Giving up a second to get rid of walman's final two years would be logical for a contending team.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

wingsfannn919191

Oct 3, 2024
We're still going on about walman lol at the end of the day it's an yzerfail. It'll never make sense he had to attach a 2nd to move him. GM's were surprised he was available

That 2nd rounder could have been used to draft jiri's kid lukas fischer. Yzerfail

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
We're still going on about walman lol at the end of the day it's an yzerfail. It'll never make sense he had to attach a 2nd to move him. GM's were surprised he was available

That 2nd rounder could have been used to draft jiri's kid lukas fischer. Yzerfail
The 2nd traded for Walman was pick #53 which was Leo Sahlin Wallenius. Lukas Fischer went #56 to the Blues, The Wings acquired that 2nd pick used in the Walman trade from the Gibson trade where they also got Kiiskinen. Wings still had their own 2nd and selected Max Plante #47.

They still could've gotten him if they wanted to, they didn't.

Reactions: TKB

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He has been good until end of last season.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I feel like the Walman fiasco was 10 years ago. I'm so over it.

I have Walman and Vrana in the same box. We'll never know what happened behind the scenes, but something bad happened.

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
Our roster for the most part had just been blah. The whole time we're rebuilding we always seem right up against the cap.

The draft is what it is but I still don't really know what kind of team we're looking to build

I guess my question is for people who like the job being done at what year do you say maybe this isn't working. Realistically we'll be in that fighting for a playoff the next 2 years and then are we going to be like the wild and islanders just making the playoff and getting bumped

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I feel like the Walman fiasco was 10 years ago. I'm so over it.

I have Walman and Vrana in the same box. We'll never know what happened behind the scenes, but something bad happened.
I'll take one bad Walman deal if we keep getting good deals 4 out of 5 times.
That he got the 2nd from the Gibson vs. Kiiskinen deal and basically just used that to ship Walman. It doesn't make the individual Walman deal better, but overall a smaller loss per se.

Only thing is I don't get why Yzerman felt the time pressure to send him off. Who was potentially in the works coming to have to get that cap hit off the books right away. Most likely a gamble that didn't turn out.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Our roster for the most part had just been blah. The whole time we're rebuilding we always seem right up against the cap.

The draft is what it is but I still don't really know what kind of team we're looking to build

I guess my question is for people who like the job being done at what year do you say maybe this isn't working. Realistically we'll be in that fighting for a playoff the next 2 years and then are we going to be like the wild and islanders just making the playoff and getting bumped

Look at the roster/contracts the next 2 years. A ton of mediocre vets coming off the books with oodles of cap space. I think Stevie has screwed up a fair amount of short term stuff, but the long term plan is getting clearer IMO. Slowly by surely the young kids are coming to and there’s going to be a ton of flexibility to augment them in the next few seasons.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
But you can't quarantee 1OA franchise player. It's still a freaking lottery.

Most probably you get the damn 4th or 3rd overall, when you are league-worst. Like we did with Yzerman.

No one should build on that.

That's not even true. Historically the worst team drafts top 3 since the lottery has been implemented. It's much more rare that they end up outside top 3.

But having the worst possible season and somehow picking 4 after being the second worst and somehow ending up 6th is just wild. Like literally if there was any way we could have been screwed worse I don't know what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad