Value of: Where’s does Rakell from Anaheim land this off season

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You do know that UFAs can choose whether or not to accept any offer, right? You understand that you can't just decide you don't need to trade to fill a hole because you'll jut go sign a UFA equivalent instead? That's why you make a trade instead of waiting for the free agent market.
You're aware that we're probably a pretty attractive destination to sign, right? Especially for a scoring forward.

In numerous pre-deadline interviews, Ken Holland alluded to a player with term being the only way he moves his high end assets. I just don't see that outlook changing. Especially now that they're guaranteed to be mid-round.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I can't see why they would. Why burn a 1st on a rental with the UFA market freely available to them?

I'd be interested to see why Anaheim fans thought that this was such a good year for him also. I'm not convinced that this is a player who's regressing at this point of his career, but his lack of production in recent years is quite alarming.

This seems like a player whose best hockey is well behind him.

In his most productive years, Rakell was more of a complimentary, opportunistic albeit highly skilled scorer, who benefitted greatly from riding shotgun with Getzlaf and Perry. His production has suffered with their decline, Rakell simply isn't cut out to be a team's top offensive threat. I may stand corrected but I do believe most of his underlying numbers have held up. Either way, I think one has to apply some context to Rakell's production- he went from playing along side an elite playmaker on a contender to a complete bottom feeding team with a historically bad powerplay and no other top line forwards.

The best line the Ducks were able to put together for any notable stretch this season turned out to be Rakell alongside Lundestrom and Comtois. Many of us Ducks fans agreed that more so than ever, Rakell was the straw stirring the drink. Driving the play and creating opportunities, helping to elevate the play of younger players, particularly Comtois. To the eye test, Rakell has never looked like more of an impact player.

I should also point out that Rakell started this year with a ridiculously low and unsustainable shooting percentage, I believe he was over 50 shots before potting his second goal. With any normalcy there, his numbers are right in line.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
A big part of the Oilers' depth issues this season is they had a number of players who were 'snake-bitten as hell' also. There's no more of a likelihood that a trade acquisition will fit into the team's plans and produce than a UFA would. The only difference is the significantly higher cost of acquisition.

In regards to Rakell, what concerns me is that it's not just one season of poor production, it's been three. He's not a particularly physical player either and isn't known for his defensive awareness. He's kind of a small, skilled goal-scoring winger that hasn't scored a ton of goals in recent years.

Even then, I'm willing to accept Getzlaf's decline as a big reason for that. I'm just coming back to the 'why?' though. We don't need to take on that kind of risk for a rental.
The why would be a versatile winger... to help with depth issues. The risk doesn’t seem so bad(I assume Rakell is at 50%)... minimal cap issue for a player with the potential to fit well with 1 of your big centers, at the price of a mid-late 1st that won’t be producing on the team any time soon. I imagine it would be one of the more effective ways to spend your 1st this year if it’s available. I’m not too worried about rakells numbers, he looked like the best player for us on most nights.... sometimes trying to do too much. We don’t have finishers and we don’t have play makers. Imagine what the oilers team looks like without drai and Mcdavid, that’s basically the ducks right now

I think Rakell is a great fit in Edmonton, but I’m not so sure I want to move him... I feel like we likely can resign him to a pretty good/safe number and I think he’ll compliment comtois/zegras nicely

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
You're aware that we're probably a pretty attractive destination to sign, right? Especially for a scoring forward.

In numerous pre-deadline interviews, Ken Holland alluded to a player with term being the only way he moves his high end assets. I just don't see that outlook changing. Especially now that they're guaranteed to be mid-round.
As a fellow Oiler fan, I will respectfully disagree with you on this. I think Rakell is an IDEAL target for a late first. Locked in top 6 winger on a reasonable contract that you could always re-sign... and I don't consider a full season to be a 'rental.'

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Why would Toronto be afraid of a protected 1st they are a top team in the league ... their 1sts will be in bottom 10 for the foreseeable future

Toronto and oilers prob make the most sense. Maybe outside chances of teams like rangers/ flames if they decide to go for it

It’s a whole new season next year fam. If god forbid Matthews gets injured that increases value. That would give Anaheim 2 top 10 picks. And we would have 2 shots at Shane Wright as well as our pick with Mathew Savoie
upload_2021-5-26_16-10-29.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If you had actually watched the player you are here to inform about, you would know he played the best hockey of his career this season.

Honestly the folks that come into these threads to state that a player is only worth X because his production was only Y - you aren't bringing anything to the conversation at all. It's a really petty look to be consider your opinion to be valid when you clearly haven't watched him play. Teams employ pro scouts for a reason.

Every report from the deadline stated that the Ducks were taking calls on Rakell but their asking price was very high. Even the slightest spec of logic would tell you that they aren't going to turn around a couple months later and give him away for nothing.
You guys talk out of both sides of your mouth.

In the Getlaf is irrelevant thread thread it's all Getzlaf numbers suck because he has no one good to play with, but in this one Rackell is playing the best hockey of his career.

Like it or not producing is important, you can play well and not produce and it doesn't mean f*** all. Teams pay for production.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
I think he will re-sign with the Ducks for a team friendly deal. Has said he wants to see the rebuild through and loves playing in Anaheim. Wasn't all on him the lower production, he gave a shit out there. Ducks scoring woes starts and ends with Eakins and his coaching staff who are allergic to scoring goals, especially on the PP.

I don’t think that’s in Anaheims best interest, it’s a rebuilding team. Rakell value is at an all time high for what he’s worth. If Toronto wants him for a first I’m listening. Oilers on the other hand makes me sketchy. Giving McDavid Rakell? That’s a horrible first. I need something more like Toronto can do.

Reasoning? If matthews goes down we get a good pick. If McDavid goes down? They still have a very very good team. And we’re adding value to them with Rakell. This is business we need to understand injuries happen

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021

In the Getlaf is irrelevant thread thread it's all Getzlaf numbers suck because he has no one good to play with, but in this one Rackell is playing the best hockey of his career.

Like it or not producing is important, you can play well and not produce and it doesn't mean f*** all. Teams pay for production.

Facts I try and say that all the time. But just get criticism from other Duck fans. Rakell has been garbage, I’m up selling him to the most possibility. Lets be honest he is what he is.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I don’t think that’s in Anaheims best interest, it’s a rebuilding team. Rakell value is at an all time high for what he’s worth. If Toronto wants him for a first I’m listening. Oilers on the other hand makes me sketchy. Giving McDavid Rakell? That’s a horrible first. I need something more like Toronto can do.

Reasoning? If matthews goes down we get a good pick. If McDavid goes down? They still have a very very good team. And we’re adding value to them with Rakell. This is business we need to understand injuries happen
What? If you take Matthews off the Leafs they still have a good team, take Mcdavid away from us and your left with Draisaitl and Nurse... and you shouldn’t be making trades hoping that the other teams best player gets hurt so you get a lottery pick lol wth.

Reactions: Getz2noone

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Can you find even one post in that thread claiming Getzlaf is still a first line caliber player?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Can you find even one post in that thread claiming Getzlaf is still a first line caliber player?
Where did I say there was. But keep deflecting from the point.

If Rackell was playing the best hockey of his career, your fanbase wouldn't be making excuses for Getzlaf "having no one good to play with"

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Rakell value is at an all time high for what he’s worth.
Facts I try and say that all the time. But just get criticism from other Duck fans. Rakell has been garbage, I’m up selling him to the most possibility. Lets be honest he is what he is.

These types of posts honestly worry me, you know you aren't actually negotiating with anyone right?

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
What? If you take Matthews off the Leafs they still have a good team, take Mcdavid away from us and your left with Draisaitl and Nurse... and you shouldn’t be making trades hoping that the other teams best player gets hurt so you get a lottery pick lol wth.

Im not making trades based off injuries happening. But if you want to think behind closed doors franchises aren’t talking like we are right now is foolishness. Every front office are doing do diligence regarding what if’s before trading a first and a player for it. Don’t be so naive cmon man

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

If Rackell was playing the best hockey of his career, your fanbase wouldn't be making excuses for Getzlaf "having no one good to play with"
I dont think any of our fan base really makes that excuses for getzlaf.... getzlaf def aged a bit and his play has gone down... hes more of a 3c-4c at this point of his career.

Anaheim realistically doenst have a top 6 center... and we hardly have any top 6 wingers... of course rakells offensive numbers are going to be down. You clearly havnt watched any ducks hockey over the last 2 years.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Weird mind that’s trying to fix the Ducks I guess so. Make me the bad guy as always. When this team is afraid to put the puck in the back of the net
You have no idea how to fix the ducks... your way of fixing the ducks is hoping that toronto ends up a bottom team in the league based on a matthews injury(which theyd still be amongst the top teams in the league without matthews).... and hoping to win lottery .

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I don't think those are direct quotes from that thread. I don't believe anyone said that in those words.

Neither Getzlaf or Rakell should be expected to drive a team's top line as their top threat, so why would the presence of either of them be expected to prop up the other? Besides that, and again something you would know if you actually watched these players you are analyzing - Getzlaf and Rakell weren't used together much this season. The comments you are referring to about Getzlaf's linemates were in reference to the players he actually most played with. The Ducks had so few threats and tried to spread them around to play with the kids.

I don't know what is so difficult for you to grasp here, anyone who understands the game can clearly see that the Ducks provide an absolutely terrible environment for a player to produce counting stats. There's no reason that cannot hold true for both Rakell and Getzlaf, as it's painful obvious that neither is an elite offensive force capable of carrying this Ducks offense.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't think those are direct quotes from that thread. I don't believe anyone said that in those words.

Neither Getzlaf or Rakell should be expected to drive a team's top line as their top threat, so why would the presence of either of them be expected to prop up the other? Besides that, and again something you would know if you actually watched these players you are analyzing - Getzlaf and Rakell weren't used together much this season. The comments you are referring to about Getzlaf's linemates were in reference to the players he actually most played with. The Ducks had so few threats and tried to spread them around to play with the kids.

I don't know what is so difficult for you to grasp here, anyone who understands the game can clearly see that the Ducks provide an absolutely terrible environment for a player to produce counting stats. There's no reason that cannot hold true for both Rakell and Getzlaf, as it's painful obvious that neither is an elite offensive force capable of carrying this Ducks offense.
This is the part where he highlights "well if rakell cant carry a line why should we pay a 1st", like a late 1st gets you a line carrying top 6 player.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
All that being said, i agree if i was a flames fan i would have no interest in trading their 1st as theres a good chance they are about to hit a rebuild.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
You have no idea how to fix the ducks... your way of fixing the ducks is hoping that toronto ends up a bottom team in the league based on a matthews injury(which theyd still be amongst the top teams in the league without matthews).... and hoping to win lottery .

Havent we always thought like that? Please explain to me how Bob Murray always pulls picks from Toronto and they come out as Diamonds. He’s done that his entire tenure. This time around it may be a top 10 pick? You’re acting like no one is having this discussion behind closed doors. The possibilities with Toronto’s picks are always gold mines. And I would like to do business with them. It sucks injuries happen, and I’m not faulting the player or the team on that. But it’s always in a teams best interest to do your do diligence of, “what if this happens” before finalizing a trade

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Havent we always thought like that? Please explain to me how Bob Murray always pulls picks from Toronto and they come out as Diamonds. He’s done that his entire tenure. This time around it may be a top 10 pick? You’re acting like no one is having this discussion behind closed doors. The possibilities with Toronto’s picks are always gold mines. And I would like to do business with them. It sucks injuries happen, and I’m not faulting the player or the team on that. But it’s always in a teams best interest to do your do diligence of, “what if this happens” before finalizing a trade
Literally no one is having this discussion behind closed doors... the hell?

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Literally no one is having this discussion behind closed doors... the hell?

Youre lying through your teeth if Rakell is on the market already being shopped. They are going to find the best first round pick based on injury history, analytics of what can happen from the trading team next season, and what the value is at. No one trades first round picks like money at a strip club. All franchises are debating back and forth on what to do right now.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Youre lying through your teeth if Rakell is on the market already being shopped. They are going to find the best first round pick based on injury history, analytics of what can happen from the trading team next season, and what the value is at. No one trades first round picks like money at a strip club. Cmon man
I never said Rakell wasn’t available. Wtf are you talking about?
A Toronto 1st is a terrible 1st to aim for

Reactions: Vipers31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad