Value of: Where’s does Rakell from Anaheim land this off season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto isn’t mad at us for all the fleecing we’ve done with your picks in the past? I’m sure that conversation will go over well on the phone :popcorn:No way Toronto talks to us with a first.

Toronto isn't about picks right now, they are making a push

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wouldn't be surprised if he remains with the Ducks tbh.

And it hurts to say this as a Ducks fan, but I see him potentially fitting very well with the Oilers if I have to pick another team.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised if he remains with the Ducks tbh.

And it hurts to say this as a Ducks fan, but I see him potentially fitting very well with the Oilers if I have to pick another team.

They already offered a first? Do we call it quits or ask for a B prospect as well.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he will re-sign with the Ducks for a team friendly deal. Has said he wants to see the rebuild through and loves playing in Anaheim. Wasn't all on him the lower production, he gave a shit out there. Ducks scoring woes starts and ends with Eakins and his coaching staff who are allergic to scoring goals, especially on the PP.

Reactions: MCB

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Edmonton might offer a first. Would depend on which of our free agents re-sign as to the prospect. If we sign Larsson and Barrie, then Ethan Bear is available. He may be anyway.

1st and Ethan Bear for Rakell and a later pick or depth forward.

If Barrie needs to be re-signed then Bouchard is trade baitas far as I'm concerned. Either compete now(Barrie a PP1 QB, acquire forwards) or rebuild(Bouchard). Edmonton needs to quit wasting 97& 29's primes waiting for next years and somedays. Rakell to Edmonton has made sense for years.

That said, precedent says Edmonton won't do anything of consequence, so Rakell to Colorado to play on the second line after Saad leaves as a UFA.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Barrie needs to be re-signed then Bouchard is trade baitas far as I'm concerned. Either compete now(Barrie a PP1 QB, acquire forwards) or rebuild(Bouchard). Edmonton needs to quit wasting 97& 29's primes waiting for next years and somedays. Rakell to Edmonton has made sense for years.

That said, precedent says Edmonton won't do anything of consequence, so Rakell to Colorado to play on the second line after Saad leaves as a UFA.
Barrie will be gone. He is going to ask for more than we can afford to pay him given our cap structure. We don't need Barrie. He was our #2 RD, and even though he was our PP defenseman, we can replace him there with Bouchard, Nurse or Klefbom and still work. I agree though, if Barrie was signed long term, we wouldn't need Bouchard as they play similar styles of game. Bouchard is only a year or two away of being a Barrie type.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Barrie will be gone. He is going to ask for more than we can afford to pay him given our cap structure. We don't need Barrie. He was our #2 RD, and even though he was our PP defenseman, we can replace him there with Bouchard, Nurse or Klefbom and still work. I agree though, if Barrie was signed long term, we wouldn't need Bouchard as they play similar styles of game. Bouchard is only a year or two away of being a Barrie type.

That would be my game plan too. Then add a LEGIT top 6 forward(no more Ennis/Kahun bargain bin bandaids) like Rakell at minimum, and then a 3rd line with enough talent to push for top 6 jobs. It was embarrassing how much ice time McDavid and Draisaitl had to play in their round one series just cause they have nobody else. Also, if Klefbom isn't coming back, add a serious LD, cause Nurse was way, way overplayed. Their roster isn't deep enough as is; an injury to McDavid, Draisaitl, or Nurse, and they're a mediocre AHL team.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That would be my game plan too. Then add a LEGIT top 6 forward(no more Ennis/Kahun bargain bin bandaids) like Rakell at minimum, and then a 3rd line with enough talent to push for top 6 jobs. It was embarrassing how much ice time McDavid and Draisaitl had to play in their round one series just cause they have nobody else. Also, if Klefbom isn't coming back, add a serious LD, cause Nurse was way, way overplayed. Their roster isn't deep enough as is; an injury to McDavid, Draisaitl, or Nurse, and they're a mediocre AHL team.
Klefbom's injury hurt the Oilers a lot this year, but I think it helped Nurse come into his own as well. We do need a 2nd pair LD option. Jones, Kulikov, Russell are not 2nd line options at this time. Jones could be, but he isn't that yet.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Klefbom's injury hurt the Oilers a lot this year, but I think it helped Nurse come into his own as well. We do need a 2nd pair LD option. Jones, Kulikov, Russell are not 2nd line options at this time. Jones could be, but he isn't that yet.

Agreed. Having 4 or 5 3rd pairing defencemen doesn't equal having a second pair. Time to quit making excuses and cheaping out. There's a flat cap and teams pressed up against it. Take advantage.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don’t think Toronto would answer the phone. They know their picks are deadly going to Anaheim. I want no protection on it also :sarcasm:
Why would Toronto be afraid of a protected 1st they are a top team in the league ... their 1sts will be in bottom 10 for the foreseeable future

Toronto and oilers prob make the most sense. Maybe outside chances of teams like rangers/ flames if they decide to go for it

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
If the Ducks were willing to let him go for peanuts, he would have been moved already.
After the season he had he's not getting a first unless a GM is a complete dipshit. His value is minimal at this point, you can hold on and he has another shitty year and you'll see what peanuts are at the deadline

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
After the season he had he's not getting a first unless a GM is a complete dipshit. His value is minimal at this point, you can hold on and he has another shitty year and you'll see what peanuts are at the deadline
Did you watch him at all?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

If you had actually watched the player you are here to inform about, you would know he played the best hockey of his career this season.

Honestly the folks that come into these threads to state that a player is only worth X because his production was only Y - you aren't bringing anything to the conversation at all. It's a really petty look to be consider your opinion to be valid when you clearly haven't watched him play. Teams employ pro scouts for a reason.

Every report from the deadline stated that the Ducks were taking calls on Rakell but their asking price was very high. Even the slightest spec of logic would tell you that they aren't going to turn around a couple months later and give him away for nothing.

Reactions: DarthProbert

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oilers would easily trade a 1st for him if Anaheim would move him to us. We’ve been needing a right shot scorer for a long time.
I can't see why they would. Why burn a 1st on a rental with the UFA market freely available to them?

I'd be interested to see why Anaheim fans thought that this was such a good year for him also. I'm not convinced that this is a player who's regressing at this point of his career, but his lack of production in recent years is quite alarming.

This seems like a player whose best hockey is well behind him.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I can't see why they would. Why burn a 1st on a rental with the UFA market freely available to them?

I'd be interested to see why Anaheim fans thought that this was such a good year for him also. I'm not convinced that this is a player who's regressing at this point of his career, but his lack of production in recent years is quite alarming.

oilers should probably be interested in getting top 6 players to help round out their depth for the playoffs instead of signing UFAs to longer term contracts that may or may not work. Say Rakell works out for the Oilers, then you can try and re-sign him or if he doesn't you're not committed to a long term deal that'll age poorly (ex James Neal). and all you're giving up is a 1st round pick in the 20-32 range. Are the Oilers looking to actually win with McDavid or Drai or continue stockpiling picks and prospects that won't play for a few more years?

I get it's hard for other fans to judge Rakell and do so with production. but this team in general is just an offensively inept but Rakell was still able to put up 40 points on one of the leagues worst offensive team the past couple years. Plus his shooting % being so low hurts his production, he was shooting plenty just snakebitten to hell. he was useful as an assist guy with our younger players as well. He also just has no elite supporting cast to play with. When playing with an elite Getz he was putting up 30 goals seasons.

Reactions: go4hockey and 780il

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015

You do know that UFAs can choose whether or not to accept any offer, right? You understand that you can't just decide you don't need to trade to fill a hole because you'll jut go sign a UFA equivalent instead? That's why you make a trade instead of waiting for the free agent market.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
oilers should probably be interested in getting top 6 players to help round out their depth for the playoffs instead of signing UFAs to longer term contracts that may or may not work. Say Rakell works out for the Oilers, then you can try and re-sign him or if he doesn't you're not committed to a long term deal that'll age poorly (ex James Neal). and all you're giving up is a 1st round pick in the 20-32 range. Are the Oilers looking to actually win with McDavid or Drai or continue stockpiling picks and prospects that won't play for a few more years?

I get it's hard for other fans to judge Rakell and do so with production. but this team in general is just an offensively inept but Rakell was still able to put up 40 points on one of the leagues worst offensive team the past couple years. Plus his shooting % being so low hurts his production, he was shooting plenty just snakebitten to hell. he was useful as an assist guy with our younger players as well. He also just has no elite supporting cast to play with. When playing with an elite Getz he was putting up 30 goals seasons.
A big part of the Oilers' depth issues this season is they had a number of players who were 'snake-bitten as hell' also. There's no more of a likelihood that a trade acquisition will fit into the team's plans and produce than a UFA would. The only difference is the significantly higher cost of acquisition.

In regards to Rakell, what concerns me is that it's not just one season of poor production, it's been three. He's not a particularly physical player either and isn't known for his defensive awareness. He's kind of a small, skilled goal-scoring winger that hasn't scored a ton of goals in recent years.

Even then, I'm willing to accept Getzlaf's decline as a big reason for that. I'm just coming back to the 'why?' though. We don't need to take on that kind of risk for a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad