When will Bouchard be considered elite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I can promise you that number is going to get destroyed in the WCF, Dallas might be the deepest team in the league. Going to be a nightmare trying to line match from Edmontons perspective, expecting this to be over in 5.

As for the thread title, when he stops being babysat on defence. Guy has an absolute rocket of a shot, the great thing about him as an Oilers fan is that all his flaws are coachable. I said the same thing about Hughes a year or two ago, so I fully expect these things to be sorted out in the near future for him.
First game, Bouchard was +3 and:
GOURU7YWsAACkcF

Bouchard sure struggled against Dallas in the first game.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
It’s just so hard to evaluate these players who are with McDavid and Draisaitl. I know it’s not right but that’s just how it is. In the back of your mind you always wonder how they’d do on a different team.

Yet you don't hear a peep about Makar coming into a team with MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Nichushkin, Kadri etc.

Not saying he's Makar I just don't get the standard sometimes with this stuff. Only seems to apply to Edmonton.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yet you don't hear a peep about Makar coming into a team with MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Nichushkin, Kadri etc.

Not saying he's Makar I just don't get the standard sometimes with this stuff. Only seems to apply to Edmonton.

it can also be pretty circular(for example Draisaitl can somehow simultaneously be a reason that Bouchard isn't good and not that good himself because of McDavid)

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
He's permanently on the waiting list for these worthless labels (elite, generational, whatever) due to his lack of footspeed, charisma, and what not. Once he makes one mistake, though, he'll skip ahead of the queue to the "absolutely garbage defensively" category.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Bouchard may never get the respect he deserves because he is just not as flashy as Makar, Hughes, Josi, Heiskanen etc... but he's highly cerebral gets to his spots and the puck is off his stick fast with the right plays. Great offensive player with the best shot in the NHL amongst defenseman.

In the Vancouver series he seemed to have the puck on his stick probably 1/5th the time Hughes did, but every time he was able to instantly create something out of it. He vastly outperformed Hughes and was the 1A or 1B reason with Drai that they won that series.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
On draft day, Bouchard is who I was hoping the Wings would take. Then, Zadina fell and Holland got duped by a shiny object. Another one of Holland and Wright's massive blunders that helped prolong the Wings' crash. He should have been forced to trade Bouchard for Zadina straight-up when he went to Edmonton. He created this mess, he should have had to live with it ;)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
All I've seen on here is people saying Bouchard is a PP merchant, product of Ekholm etc.

He's got 37 pts in the past 24 playoff games, he's +10 in plus minus this playoffs, 3 game winning goals. He was 4th highest scoring dman in the regular season with over a PPG and +34 in plus/minus.

I've watched a ton of Oilers games and he passes the eye test too imo. He's often the key to Oilers getting out of their own zone. And his play in the offensive zone is unmatched.

I'm just wondering what he has to do in order for people to consider him elite? He's basically setting playoff records for dmen and nobody gives him notice.

When he stops floating when the puck moves towards his own zone.

I don't think anyone has denied he's elite offensively.

EDIT: I see some peeps in this thread are actually denying that... Weird takes but ok..

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
On draft day, Bouchard is who I was hoping the Wings would take. Then, Zadina fell and Holland got duped by a shiny object. Another one of Holland and Wright's massive blunders that helped prolong the Wings' crash. He should have been forced to trade Bouchard for Zadina straight-up when he went to Edmonton. He created this mess, he should have had to live with it ;)
You guys got Seider. We are just hoping Broberg amount to something

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My eyesight tells me I’ve seen too many times where he looks completely lost playing defense to be considered elite.

I don’t know what Bouchard is. Like a modern day better Sheldon souray. He’s pretty good at generating shots and offense. I guess you could say he is elite at only offense.
Your "eyesight" needs to be checked if you think he's like Sheldon Souray. They both have big shots so there's that but it's only that.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
He makes some mistakes and is sometimes too casual, but IMO he was the MVP of a playoff series that had McDavid, Draisaitl, Hughes, Petterson, Hyman, Miller, Boeser, etc. in it. He was the best player on either team in that series. He outplayed the probable Norris trophy winner (Hughes probably) by a pretty sizable margin in that series. He deserves some props.
Without a doubt. Had a phenomenal series but also keep in mind Hughes was definitely injured from the Nashville series. Would have been nice to see Hughes be able to turn at all on his skates.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Ppl who limit their argument to McDavid_ Drai are just minimal thinkers. Not worth the argument as they can't compute past that

Pretty sure Bouchard would have tallied many a points flopping pucks at Pavelski in the day

Guy is known for having elite #s at getting pucks to the net. Pretty sure that's how Burns got a ton of points too

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Without a doubt. Had a phenomenal series but also keep in mind Hughes was definitely injured from the Nashville series. Would have been nice to see Hughes be able to turn at all on his skates.
Moving forward, Hughes would be lucky to ever be playing at 100%. He's going to be the other team's #1 target, and at 5'9, punishing Hughes is like taking candy from a baby.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I don't want a war, he's playing good hockey...

But no high danger chances against? When he handed the puck to Logan Stankoven in overtime, Stankoven turned to his forehand, got a shot attempt from inside the dots, with slot presence (Benn). That's not a chance? A sudden change turnover, shot attempt inside the house, slot presence.

Looking at the NHL stats, that wasn't even considered a giveaway haha

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I really really hope the Oilers win the Cup so their fanbase can drop the red headed step child need for constant vindication and validation.

Bouchard seems to be a great young player coming into his own .. but Cale Makar he is not.

And thats okay.

giphy[1].gif

Reactions: sanscosm

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Your "eyesight" needs to be checked if you think he's like Sheldon Souray. They both have big shots so there's that but it's only that.
Eastern Conference fans do NOT watch Western Conference teams EVER.
Even when they claim they occasionally do, they don't.

What they do is sort by points, and everyone that has a lot of points is 'terrible defensively'.

And when the analytics don't back up what they claim, they say "from the games they saw" (even though they never actually watch any game).

It's becoming a hilarious meme on here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad