Post-Game Talk: When they arent cheap shotting they're terrible. Barkov leads Panthers to 6-3 win with a hatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I knew it. I knew Barkov was about to put up some points. He's played really well the last few games. Filthy filthy goal. Holy jumping.
And the team has played smart hockey the last couple of games. Instead of just "fast", "uptempo", "get the puck up ice as fast as possible, we have no hockey plan outside of that". And it's ironic that once they stopped doing that, that's when they actually play faster. And quicker, which is way more important than playing faster.
It also leads to individual players playing better, not being hindered by lack of structure.
I don't know what happened, but I hope they keep this approach with the type of game they want this team to play.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Barkov was dominant and an absolute beast last night. Reffing was an absolute joke tho the called off goal was a clear offside. Brown penalty at the end was disgusting. Matheson was a stud. Moving the puck with ease all night. I really like the brown mccoshen third pair. I’m not sure how weegar or kis fits. Tho I like both better than pysyk who still brings nothing

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Barkov was dominant and an absolute beast last night. Reffing was an absolute joke tho the called off goal was a clear offside. Brown penalty at the end was disgusting. Matheson was a stud. Moving the puck with ease all night. I really like the brown mccoshen third pair. I’m not sure how weegar or kis fits. Tho I like both better than pysyk who still brings nothing

Heh.

Then you didnt catch it. Pysyk got demoted to pair with McCoshen and Yandle was with Brown.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yep.
Want to emphasize, Matheson has been great the last few games.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I guess the huge turnovers last night dont count?
I know he had one that lead to a goal. And I'm sure he's had a few others, but overall he's been great. He's been A LOT more reliable than he was before these last few games. Both offensively and defensively.
I'm not expecting perfection, but there's a clear difference between playing like crap and playing really well.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I know he had one that lead to a goal. And I'm sure he's had a few others, but overall he's been great. He's been A LOT more reliable than he was before these last few games. Both offensively and defensively.
I'm not expecting perfection, but there's a clear difference between playing like crap and playing really well.

To me he was borderline playing like crap... he had the obvious turnover that led to a goal... but plenty other instances of less than desirable defensive play. Yes, he did move the puck somewhat OK. I would really like for him to use the body a little more, what is he, 6'-2", 200lbs? If Hubby can do it, so can Matheson...

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
To whoever has more time than I do right now, confirm or deny this for me.

Barky has better numbers away from Dadonov than with. Extremely curious right now.

Hell, compare those numbers to when Barky has Huby.

Might be the reason why he looked pedestrian 5v5 for the majority of this year. Dads just looks lost on both ends.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
To whoever has more time than I do right now, confirm or deny this for me.

Barky has better numbers away from Dadonov than with. Extremely curious right now.

Hell, compare those numbers to when Barky has Huby.

Might be the reason why he looked pedestrian 5v5 for the majority of this year. Dads just looks lost on both ends.

Since he's played with Dadonov so much, almost 70% frequency, most of his 5 on 5 and PP points have come with a combo of Dadonov/Huberdeau/Hoffman/Bjugstad. He apparently has 20 ES pts when on a line with Dadonov

Barkov 5 on 5.PNG

But when you go down the rabbit hole further, his 20% frequency of non Dadonov play solely 5 on 5, he already has 12 ES pts. That's nearly 60% of his Dadonov duo production in a third of the frequency. All I'm gonna say is, if we don't land Panarin and it comes down to keeping one, re-sign Hoffman and ship Dadonov out.

Last edited:
Reactions: pantherbot

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I think even when Trocheck is in a production slump (and let me be honest, I don't think he's being played with guys who complement him), the team is still just better for having him on the ice.

Reactions: harv33173

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Since he's played with Dadonov so much, almost 70% frequency, most of his 5 on 5 and PP points have come with a combo of Dadonov/Huberdeau/Hoffman/Bjugstad. He apparently has 20 ES pts when on a line with Dadonov

View attachment 188355

But when you go down the rabbit hole further, his 20% frequency of non Dadonov play solely 5 on 5, he already has 12 ES pts. That's nearly 60% of his Dadonov duo production in a third of the frequency. All I'm gonna say is, if we don't land Panarin and it comes down to keeping one, re-sign Hoffman and ship Dadonov out.
Let's go beyond Points too.

I am talking heat maps and shots allowed. If you look at Barkov's heat map in the defensive zone, it is atrocious. But I bet that changes when Dadonov is away from him.

And here is why I bring it up. Dads has a nasty habit of leaking out before possession is established and doesnt help much in puck battles.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Let's go beyond Points too.

I am talking heat maps and shots allowed. If you look at Barkov's heat map in the defensive zone, it is atrocious. But I bet that changes when Dadonov is away from him.

And here is why I bring it up. Dads has a nasty habit of leaking out before possession is established and doesnt help much in puck battles.

Let's see them Predator, I don't know where you get those.
Wonder if those habits of cherry picking go back to his KHL days?
If we do get Panarin, maybe we can't pair them together with Barkov?
Don't know how strong Bread is defensively?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Let's see them Predator, I don't know where you get those.
Wonder if those habits of cherry picking go back to his KHL days?
If we do get Panarin, maybe we can't pair them together with Barkov?
Don't know how strong Bread is defensively?

If Dads and Panarin are on the same line, you better damn hope that you have the puck in the opponent's lol. You can pair them with Barkov by all means, but Barkov will be doing the defensive lifting (what else is new).

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Dadonov has been fine, imo. He's been snake bit. Similar to Smith in his final year. He'll bounce back too.

The concerning forward is Trocheck who is back to playing lazy hockey, imo. He still tries to do too much. Plays like he's in a beer league at times.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Trocheck came back with an extra spring in his step which seemed to give the team a lift. That is now faded. Reminds me of that season when Huberdeau came back from a injury mid way through the season.

Trocheck honestly had pretty week season overall. Weaker than last year imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad