Pre-Game Talk: When Might We See Fans in the Stands in Canada?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I also like to add like Dallas who was one of the first teams talking about full capacity, the Habs actually have to make it to game 6 first.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Fun fact. Florida, who has full attendance at games from what I can see, has a lower % of their population with the 1st dose than Saskatchewan does. They have higher % with 2nd dose, but the 1st dose gives around 70-90% of the coverage (depending what study you look at) that the full dose regime does. So basically Florida has about the same as most provinces, but has full attendance, which is bonkers. It's very dumb, and we should not be emulating that. But it does show how different the approach is between the states/provinces.

But 2M people in Florida are also confirmed having already had Covid 19. So that built immunity, either through vaccine or covid Contraction +10M vaccinated, would bring that total to 12M of the 21M population that have some level of built immunity. Probably far more. The 2M is just the confirmed positives. Its more likely that around 5-6M people in Florida had contracted Covid at some point. In anycase they would be sitting somewhere over 60% with enough immunity to probably mitigate spread and serious cases.

Its also worthy of note that Florida yesterday had 2800 new cases. Alberta had recently hit 2K. Florida has 5X the population of Alberta, and also massive healthcare facilities to better endure any ramp up in hospital cases.

Last edited:

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Canada is about to pass the US in Vaccination rates per capita.....
Not even close, you need two vaccines three weeks apart to be properly vaccinated, yet to be determined if Canada's experiment will work. US is at 37% double vaccinated Canada 3% last I looked.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
But 2M people in Florida are also confirmed having already had Covid 19. So that built immunity, either through vaccine or covid Contraction would bring that total to 12M of the 21M population that have some level of built immunity. Probably far more. The 2M is just the confirmed positives. Its more likely that around 5-6M people in Florida had contracted Covid at some point. In anycase they would be sitting somewhere over 60% with enough immunity to probably mitigate spread and serious cases.

Its also worthy of note that Florida yesterday had 2800 new cases. Alberta had recently hit 2K. Florida has 5X the population of Alberta, and also massive healthcare facilities to better endure any ramp up in hospital cases.

Very true and no steady talk of variants in the US unlike Canada. Reason, double vaccination takes care of the variants.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not even close, you need two vaccines three weeks apart to be properly vaccinated, yet to be determined if Canada's experiment will work. US is at 37% double vaccinated Canada 3% last I looked.

The more recent studies actually show some better results for the longer break in between. They were smaller studies from what I saw though, so take them with a grain of salt due to that.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
But 2M people in Florida are also confirmed having already had Covid 19. So that built immunity, either through vaccine or covid Contraction +10M vaccinated, would bring that total to 12M of the 21M population that have some level of built immunity. Probably far more. The 2M is just the confirmed positives. Its more likely that around 5-6M people in Florida had contracted Covid at some point. In anycase they would be sitting somewhere over 60% with enough immunity to probably mitigate spread and serious cases.

Agreed, Florida's true immunity level is likely higher for the reasons you mentioned. I was just pointing out the differences in policy really.

Florida's per-1 million new daily average is currently half that of Albertas (COVID-19 in the U.S.: How do Canada's provinces rank against American states?), so they are certainly doing better than Alberta. But Saskatchewan's is roughly the same as Florida's and we are a LONG LONG ways away from having 20,000 people crammed into a hockey arena in Saskatchewan, lol. Again, just showing the massive difference in public policy between the countries.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Fun fact. Florida, who has full attendance at games from what I can see, has a lower % of their population with the 1st dose than Saskatchewan does. They have higher % with 2nd dose, but the 1st dose gives around 70-90% of the coverage (depending what study you look at) that the full dose regime does. So basically Florida has about the same as most provinces, but has full attendance, which is bonkers. It's very dumb, and we should not be emulating that. But it does show how different the approach is between the states/provinces.

Florida doesnt have full attendance. From last game there are 50%.

NHL Attendance | Hockey-Reference.com

Florida PanthersBB&T Center19,250219,2929,64650.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If they are vaccinated I fail to see any problems with that.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Florida doesnt have full attendance. From last game there are 50%.

NHL Attendance | Hockey-Reference.com

Florida PanthersBB&T Center19,250219,2929,64650.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If they are vaccinated I fail to see any problems with that.

Good to know. I was just basing this off watching some of the game last night, where it looked really full. I have no issues with 50% capacity if everybody is fully vaccinated. No idea if they were getting fans to show proof of vaccination for entry though.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
The more recent studies actually show some better results for the longer break in between. They were smaller studies from what I saw though, so take them with a grain of salt due to that.

Could be possible, there have been lots of different stories that came out in the Canadian media about what is acceptable. The day the EU suspended AZ the story beside it was Health Canada approved it. There were also stories that mixing vaccines was just fine. As with all the covid issues in Canada I would suggest you are on your own. I would suggest following the companies recommendation which is what the phase trials were based on if possible.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes