When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
I don't know where they're going to get their gamebreakers from. When you get to the playoffs you need a MacKinnon, or Barkov, or Eichel even. People bring up the prospects that they have but the problem is that every single team in the NHL has players already on the roster or prospects of that level, even the bottom feeder teams do.

The potential "game breaker" and I do mean potential would be Cossa.

I think we will ultimately end up with a top shelf d-core, despite what the current goat rodeo looks like.

The question then becomes can we put together a good enough forward group that by definition won't be top heavy.

Can't believe I am wading back into this thread, but the reason a lot of Wings fans are good with SFY is that he is calculated, patient, non-emotional, and despite what anyone says did a great job in Tampa building around Headman and Stamkos.

The only criticisms that I buy about the Yzerplan are 1) deciding not to tank through the Bedard sweepstakes, (which I am okay with but won't derail this exchange by elaborating) and 2) I have not been sold on Lalonde. While it takes 15 games or so to see what you have in a given year, the fact that the same d-zone shit show that plagued this team last year (even when it was winning) showing up so glaringly on opening night is a huge red flag.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm a Blues fan in California coming in peace and have no animosity against the Wings.

I don't get what exactly Steve's plan is. The team hasn't qualified for the playoffs since 2016 and it's been wash-rinse-repeat with the roster since then with give or take the same results. The way he's doing it could very well work, but it's going to take a lot of time and a lot more luck, so I can see a fan's perception on the team being very much YMMV but it's still the same result and that train so far is continuing in the same direction into the horizon.

Yet, the team is still young enough to do some serious damage if they gel and roll, so it's not all darkness and gloom. This could be the year they at least make the playoffs. And the contracts give Steve ultimate flexibility, so for those who don't like him, I'd say that's a huge plus especially in this day and age.

At the very least, there's just more work to do.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
it's been wash-rinse-repeat with the roster since then with give or take the same results.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
But no. Yes in a sense that there is spot plugs signed into the roster until the youth come of age to be ready to contribute, no in the sense is the team is on a path, improving every year the last four seasons, and its on its way.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
But no. Yes in a sense that there is spot plugs signed into the roster until the youth come of age to be ready to contribute, no in the sense is the team is on a path, improving every year the last four seasons, and its on its way.
Every team in a rebuild needs to sign vets to plug into the roster untiil the kids are ready. That is understandable.

Yzerman joined for the 2019 draft. For their opening day roster, only Seider, Raymond, and Edvinsson made it out of rd 1, with Johannsen as well from rd 2.

Question is how close are those other kids from rounds 2-3, if at all? Because you can't just rely soley on first rounders coming out of a rebuild.

Reactions: Czechboy

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Doesn’t that add up to a decade of losing? In Tampa Yzermsn had true superstars to build around. Yes, he wasn’t there when the club won, but he did have great players. Currently the Wings don’t have that level of player. It’s highly unlikely drafting 7-15 is going to get a guy of that level either, which is probably where they will be drafting. IMO the Wings are where the Oilers were, and other rebuilding clubs, back when they had a young Hall, Eberle, Nuge. They were missing the superstar level guys. They had to trade away much of that club and sink to the bottom and rebuild again.
Every single of those players were on the team when they drafted both McDavid and Draisaitl… what are you talking about :laugh:

maybe by 1 year. could have did 1 more yr of tanking instead of signing copp n co. that said they got a great player in kasper that draft.

ultimately they did continue to build through the draft IMO, that is why the prospect pool is brimming with talent. they signed the fillers to give them time to develope.
It’s hilarious how Copp is both terrible (he is) and yet somehow helped the Wings win a bunch of games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad