When are we going to be honest with ourselves about how bad Kyle Dubas is?

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
What is his “strength” exactly?
No idea. I said I can't judge him with Sullivan still here. It's the idea that Dubas is somehow to blame for the Penguins current situation that I'm pushing back on. I will say that the bottom six he put together this year is solid and certainly not the problem with the team right now. They've given up under the current coach who seems to still think it's 2017.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Leafs are supposed to make a 180 shift in one season when 60% of their cap is locked up with bad contracts? This is dumber than the Shero and Rutherford comparison. I would like you to find the part where I champion Treliving as some saviour.

The Penguins are where they are on the pecking order in Pittsburgh, and the Leafs are where they are in Toronto. It's a different scenario altogether. People in Toronto care a tad bit more, you folks out there already forgot Rutherford and Shero's contributions to your franchise.

You're like @Hockey4Lyfe, throwing out irrelevant crap and then not addressing it.
You're right the Pens are where they are in the pecking order (5 cups) and the Leafs...

Not changing any time soon either with the loser mentality everyone in Toronto has from the fans to players to media to management.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
You're right the Pens are where they are in the pecking order (5 cups) and the Leafs...

Not changing any time soon either with the loser mentality everyone in Toronto has from the fans to players to media to management.

Confirmed with Link: You cant read.

As expected. This whole time you haven't addressed a single point and have tried to throw little potshots. You didn't even read any of the thread. You just came in running with your cape on to defend your hero. You spent money on this site just so you could write this crap. Next time save your money and buy Hooked on Phonics.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Hey guys why don't the Penguins fans talk about their team more? Is it because they're small potatoes in their own city and people would rather talk about other things? Enquiring minds want to know.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The Karlsson trade is fine. People are acting like he gave up some prize assets. Nah.

The first round pick was the only thing of value. The players were cap dumps. And the Sharks retained.

The real problem is that the Pittsburgh core is too old and there’s nothing anyone can do about it. Dubas was given orders from ownership to try to keep them competitive. It’s obvious now they aren’t and can’t be.

The pens need to do a creative retool this offseason like the caps did.
Strongly agree with this. Not saying KD did a great job in PIT, but that hand was dealt a long time ago and Karlsson didn't change the trajectory.

Don't think a retool is in the works like the Caps because the core guys in PIT are relatively healthy unlike Backstrom and Oshie.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Confirmed with Link: You cant read.

As expected. This whole time you haven't addressed a single point and have tried to throw little potshots. You didn't even read any of the thread. You just came in running with your cape on to defend your hero. You spent money on this site just so you could write this crap. Next time save your money and buy Hooked on Phonics.
Yep kd is definitely my hero. Pens fans worship him. Just read our board.

Also there's no points to address. This thread is just butthurt Leafs fans upset that Dubas didn't get them a cup. Loser fan base.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Well with all the success they've had since Hextall left, you can see why they think he was the problem.

Honestly the fact is all pens fan point to the coach. Sullivan has the most power of any coach in the league. The only good move for a penguins GM is to fire him. We are on the third GM for the same coach. Has that ever happened in this league before?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
You can criticize Dubas all you'd like but the guy knows how to draft. His only miss in the first round was a poor kid who got brain cancer and passed away

He is a f***ing genius in the 2nd round. Knies, Robertson and Durzi come to mind who are NHL players

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

CaptainCrunch17

Dec 31, 2010
North of Toronto
He's repeating the same three mistakes he made in Toronto, defense, depth and goaltending.
He thought Jarry was the answer, clearly not.
He continues to get vanilla players to fill out the roster, which provide no identity to the team.
And by acquiring Karlsson he lost the money to adequately address the holes in the lineup.
Dubas doesn’t seemingly know how to build a cohesive team.

He gets star struck by offensively gifted players and then can’t stop himself from overpaying to try to acquire them and/or retain them.

In the process, he ties up too much payroll in a small group of star players who can’t win it all on their own, and there isn’t cap-space to assemble an adequate supporting cast.

Hockey is a team sport it’s not a group of players playing one on one.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
A washed Lewis Hamilton is better than any Esteban Ocon.
hvggyvhgvckh.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I understand the comments about Karlsson and Letang being redundant as a criticism for why Dubas would target him, but why are we acting like Karlsson is some albatross contract that won't ever be able to be moved? He'll likely bring back good value as a rental with the Penguins retaining half of his deal. If Kevin Shattenkirk is bringing back a 1st+ as a rental, I figure Karlsson would as well.

Karlsson is obviously not a $10 million player, but I figure almost every contender without a similar type of defenseman to Karlsson would be salivating over the chance to get him as a rental.
The thing with Karlsson is he only comes close to being worth any amount of money if you run your entire offence through him and let him disregard all defensive responsibility, to the detriment of your own team like the Sharks did. No contender is going to do that, and I as a result I doubt he'd be all that valuable even at 50%

The Pens D is simply atrocious so far. They've given up the most goals in the NHL (39), that's 7 more than the Sharks. Watching them last night, it was almost as if they weren't even trying in their own end -- a disorganized mess.

Is this Sullivan's fault or the GM's? Too early to tell most likely, but Dubas certainly doesn't have a pedigree of crafting tough defenses.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the dumbass who brought in a $10m d-man that can't actually play defence is largely responsible for that one

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He hasn't been good for the Pens but I don't get the obsession some Leafs fans have with him.

I haven't given Ray Shero or Gmjr a second thought since they left the Pens. I don't get why you guys care what kd does.
Because half the fan base paraded him around to anyone who would listen, and even those who wouldn't, as some kind of messiah that was the greatest GM to ever grace the sport of hockey.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The thing with Karlsson is he only comes close to being worth any amount of money if you run your entire offence through him and let him disregard all defensive responsibility, to the detriment of your own team like the Sharks did. No contender is going to do that, and I as a result I doubt he'd be all that valuable even at 50%

What is this based on? The Penguins didn't do that with him last year and he had a good season. Not $10 million good, but good season.

Karlsson put up 56 points in 82 games and ended a +4 last year. I figure almost every contender would love that if they were only on the hook for $5 million as a rental for him.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
What is this based on? The Penguins didn't do that with him last year and he had a good season. Not $10 million good, but good season.

Karlsson put up 56 points in 82 games and ended a +4 last year.
You're saying Karlsson had a "good" season if the standard was half his cap hit, and the Penguins were a bad team? I don't know how that's supposed to help a contender

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You're saying Karlsson had a "good" season if the standard was half his cap hit, and the Penguins were a bad team? I don't know how that's supposed to help a contender

What are you talking about? Karlsson had a good season that was probably about $7.5 million caliber, just not worth what he's paid. I don't think anyone would disagree that he's not worth his contract but he's still a good player. He's a $7.5 million player making far too much money on a contract he signed years ago.

He had a stronger season last year than Brandon Montour and Montour just got a 7x7 deal from Seattle. As a rental and with the Penguins retaining money, he'd absolutely have legitimate value (assuming he doesn't notably decline in the next few years).

Last edited:

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Lou wasn't going to be Shanny's patsy. Lou is a true leader.

The Leafs are a political organization. Every person in power has a scapegoat.

Dumbass was the shield for Shamascam. Dumbass is gone because at the last minute he tried to usurp Scamasham. Treliving was hired and of course couldn't make changes because he needed time to assess the team that plateu'd 6 years ago. Nevermind the fact that everyone was re-signed to even worse garbage contract.

Pelley is the next Shanahan, who will be gone this summer when his contract expires. They couldn't make any real changes this summer because Pelley needed time to assess the situation. It's very complicated here in Leafland where nothing has changed for a half decade plus.

Once Scamascam is gone. Then Pelley will get time to trial and then eventually fire Treliving and hire his new GM. Then the new GM will get time to trial and then eventually fire Berube and hire a new coach. Then the coach will get time to fix things! This year is different!!

All the while it is imperative to keep around the Snore Fore, because we absolutely cannot replace them!!! We are not here to sell jerseys, we are here to win the Stanley Cup!!
Spoiler alert!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad