What's your most interesting NFL storyline going into season?

F L Y E R S

Orange & Black
Aug 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
So with every new season, there's excitement with new storylines and seeing how they play out. Want you hear your guys take?

Can Chiefs three peat?
Jim Harbaugh back in NFL, and seeing if he can turn Chargers into perennial contenders, after years of underperforming
Can Caleb Williams and the Bears turn a NFC contender in year 1?
Will Aaron Rodgers stay healthy?
Seeing if the QB's who signed the big deals this offseason will prove they're worth it?

Definitely under the radar for most people, but I'm honestly interested in Anthony Richardson's return to the Colts after the injury early last season. Definitely a raw talent when drafted, but he has an absolute cannon and can hurt you with his feet. Also the second season under head coach Shane Steichen, who I believe is one of the smartest offensive minds in the league. Those two together I think makes the Colts a darkhorse team in the AFC

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
Caleb Williams gonna show out.
Were you making the same confident, but unfounded prediction for Justin Fields a couple years back?

Re: the original post, I'm not a big Rodgers fan, but I think his return will be (one of) the most captivating storylines.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Selfishly it’s the the 3 peat but beyond my own fandom - Dallas entering the season with all of its HC, QB and stud WR 1 without contract extensions could blow up spectacularly.

Reactions: J T Money

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
If not week 1 when does Fields get the nod.
How will Watson flame out.
Watching the NY media turn on Aaron. Dude had it made in GB , the media Had to suck up but NY will turn on him in a blink of an eye.
All these guys who just got the bag , can they deliver.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Steelers schedule is backloaded with their divisional games and some hard ones. I'd expect Pitt to run into a wall at that point in time and that is when I expect Fields to get some action.

LV Raiders, see how their QBs perform. Not expecting anyting amazing from either guy. And whether Adams gets moved at the TDL as based on his contract, he'd be a big cap charge in 2025, thus a restructure as he no longer has any guaranteed money left.

See how well the LV Coordinators perform. HC isn't an X and O's guy. So, see if they can make adjustments on both sides of the ball when needed.

Then I want to see how Wilson performs being moved inside. They need him. And also want to see how they maximize their 2 TE in Mayer and Bowers. As they passed on Fuaga to take Bowers. My only concern with Fuaga was that his write was mauler/road grater, which are more often used to describe OG like Nelson, not OT. LV needed a legit RT opposite Miller. See if LV made the right decision here or not.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Chiefs possible 3-peat is the ubiquitous one. If they do it, then the talk begins in earnest as to whether or not Mahomes is already ahead of Brady, and it’s how high he can set the bar. Mahomes is only getting to the same age where Brady was only starting to become that.

The most intriguing division is the NFC north:
-is Jordan Love real?
-can 1OV pick Caleb Williams step in as a rookie and level up the Bears to the playoffs? The rest of their offseason was in-line with that expectation.
-how do the Lions handle actually high expectations? This is the first time in any of our lifetimes that they are Super Bowl or bust.
-can the Vikings get McCarthy on the field and hope Jefferson doesn’t ask for a trade after the season?

NFC West:
-how to the 49ers handle losing the Super Bowl? History shows that unless you have that guy at QB, it tends to be a bitch.
-the Rams building on last season, but without Aaron Donald.
-the Cardinals taking a step? They played hard for Gannon and were 3-5 with Kyler.
-who are the Seahawks without Pete Carroll?

NFC East:
-Kellen Moore basically has impunity, Jalen Hurts does not excuses nor Jason Kelce. How involved do they want Saquon?
-will Brian Daboll survive the season?
-Jaylen Daniels in many ways was up there with Caleb Williams, can he be put in position to succeed?
-can the Cowboys keep their focus on the field, and will it matter after basically doing nothing in the offseason?

NFC South:
-is Kirk Cousins enough to get the Falcons to the playoffs and hope they bullshit their way to the Super Bowl?
-can Baker Mayfield keep up?
-is Bryce Young anything?
-will Klint Kubiak unlock Derek Carr, or is he the guy we always knew him to be? At age 33.

AFC North:
-the Bengals hopefully have Joe Burrow healthy, they are the only active combination that has proven they can beat the Chiefs in the playoffs. Can they get the leg up and have a good start?
-can the Ravens make this happen? Because Lamar Jackson feels like a ticking timebomb.
-Will Mike Tomlin get the Steelers in through the backdoor of the playoffs again? That seems to be their ceiling.
-the Browns proved they can win games with any asshole at quarterback, but can they do it not despite their actual asshole quarterback?

AFC East:
-can the Bills find their moment?
-are the Dolphins serious people?
-Patriots might be the favorites to draft 1OV, does the Belichick succession plan look good?
-the Jets. No notes.

AFC South:
-the Texans have real expectations, does CJ Stroud take that leap?
-which is the actual Trevor Lawrence? Doug’s job will depend on it.
-can Anthony Richardson build on his start last year and thus stay on the field?
-can Will Levis convince the Titans to not draft a QB next year? They are the least interesting team, this was a hard one.

AFC West:
-see above for the Chiefs, they are the favorites to win whatever they want until proven otherwise.
-what does Jim Harbaugh do with Justin Herbert and can he do it with hoping young receivers take steps?
-Will the Raiders be a freak show? And will it be a fun one? And is their QB of the future currently in Colorado?
-If Bo Nix does not prove to have a high ceiling, what network is Sean Payton working for next year?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jefferson literally just signed a massive extension. No shot he's asking for a trade after this season. In 2026, if McCarthy sucks? Maybe. But not 2025.
I agree. Once a player signs a new deal with a large signing bonus, the team can't trade them as there is going to be a massive dead cap charge. 4 year deal, and just under $40 mill in SB. So a trade next off-season leaves Minny with $29.5 mill in dead cap (SB is prorated over 5 years as it includes the 5th year option year). Not taking $30 mill in dead cap to get 1 year out of JJ.

If he didn't want to be there, he's better off being traded this off-season, not next as no way Minny would honour that request. Player's agent knows that as well. And would advise client accordingly. Can't ask out until year 3 of a new deal.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

tTheVeganWoofMate

Adopt.Volunteer. Rescued is the best breed!
Mar 21, 2019
NJ
Will Aaaron Rodgers be able to bring the Lizard people out of hiding??
Will Aaaaron take an IQ test to prove he is the smartest human of all time?
What else can we learn from Aaron Rodgers and his brilliance.
Only thing that matters this nfl season

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Will the Giants fire everyone?
Will the Commanders make the playoffs
What happens to Cincinnati
NY Jets...

F L Y E R S

Orange & Black
Aug 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Will the Giants fire everyone?
Will the Commanders make the playoffs
What happens to Cincinnati
NY Jets...

I actually think Brian Daboll is a good coach. That team just doesn't have enough talent. With QB is the biggest hole obviously. I'd bet they finish last in NFC East and Daniel Jones era will be over. They take on the dead cap hit.

Washington is a team on the rise. I can see them fighting for 2nd in the division with Dallas

Reactions: Melrose Munch

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I actually think Brian Daboll is a good coach. That team just doesn't have enough talent. With QB is the biggest hole obviously. I'd bet they finish last in NFC East and Daniel Jones era will be over. They take on the dead cap hit.

Washington is a team on the rise. I can see them fighting for 2nd in the division with Dallas
Giants were just not able to sustain the better play of Jones from 22 into the 23 season. Until they fix their OL, really not going anywhere. Thomas is very good when healthy, Neal has been terrible in his 2 seasons. Schmidtz is their 2nd year C. They brought in verteran OG like Runyan Jr, Eluemenor, etc. to solidify the line. If Neal doesn't show enough, he's not getting his 5th year option picked up, so it's all or nothing for him this season. If he's not worth having the 5th year option picked up, could very well see him get cut in the 2025 off season.

Washington has some weapons for Daniels. And expect Quinn to help get the Defence to play better. Unsure how good their OL is.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Chiefs possible 3-peat is the ubiquitous one. If they do it, then the talk begins in earnest as to whether or not Mahomes is already ahead of Brady, and it’s how high he can set the bar. Mahomes is only getting to the same age where Brady was only starting to become that.

The most intriguing division is the NFC north:
-is Jordan Love real?
-can 1OV pick Caleb Williams step in as a rookie and level up the Bears to the playoffs? The rest of their offseason was in-line with that expectation.
-how do the Lions handle actually high expectations? This is the first time in any of our lifetimes that they are Super Bowl or bust.
-can the Vikings get McCarthy on the field and hope Jefferson doesn’t ask for a trade after the season?

NFC West:
-how to the 49ers handle losing the Super Bowl? History shows that unless you have that guy at QB, it tends to be a bitch.
-the Rams building on last season, but without Aaron Donald.
-the Cardinals taking a step? They played hard for Gannon and were 3-5 with Kyler.
-who are the Seahawks without Pete Carroll?

NFC East:
-Kellen Moore basically has impunity, Jalen Hurts does not excuses nor Jason Kelce. How involved do they want Saquon?
-will Brian Daboll survive the season?
-Jaylen Daniels in many ways was up there with Caleb Williams, can he be put in position to succeed?
-can the Cowboys keep their focus on the field, and will it matter after basically doing nothing in the offseason?

NFC South:
-is Kirk Cousins enough to get the Falcons to the playoffs and hope they bullshit their way to the Super Bowl?
-can Baker Mayfield keep up?
-is Bryce Young anything?
-will Klint Kubiak unlock Derek Carr, or is he the guy we always knew him to be? At age 33.

AFC North:
-the Bengals hopefully have Joe Burrow healthy, they are the only active combination that has proven they can beat the Chiefs in the playoffs. Can they get the leg up and have a good start?
-can the Ravens make this happen? Because Lamar Jackson feels like a ticking timebomb.
-Will Mike Tomlin get the Steelers in through the backdoor of the playoffs again? That seems to be their ceiling.
-the Browns proved they can win games with any asshole at quarterback, but can they do it not despite their actual asshole quarterback?

AFC East:
-can the Bills find their moment?
-are the Dolphins serious people?
-Patriots might be the favorites to draft 1OV, does the Belichick succession plan look good?
-the Jets. No notes.

AFC South:
-the Texans have real expectations, does CJ Stroud take that leap?
-which is the actual Trevor Lawrence? Doug’s job will depend on it.
-can Anthony Richardson build on his start last year and thus stay on the field?
-can Will Levis convince the Titans to not draft a QB next year? They are the least interesting team, this was a hard one.

AFC West:
-see above for the Chiefs, they are the favorites to win whatever they want until proven otherwise.
-what does Jim Harbaugh do with Justin Herbert and can he do it with hoping young receivers take steps?
-Will the Raiders be a freak show? And will it be a fun one? And is their QB of the future currently in Colorado?
-If Bo Nix does not prove to have a high ceiling, what network is Sean Payton working for next year?

What do you mean by Lamar being a ticking timebomb?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Giants were just not able to sustain the better play of Jones from 22 into the 23 season. Until they fix their OL, really not going anywhere. Thomas is very good when healthy, Neal has been terrible in his 2 seasons. Schmidtz is their 2nd year C. They brought in verteran OG like Runyan Jr, Eluemenor, etc. to solidify the line. If Neal doesn't show enough, he's not getting his 5th year option picked up, so it's all or nothing for him this season. If he's not worth having the 5th year option picked up, could very well see him get cut in the 2025 off season.

Washington has some weapons for Daniels. And expect Quinn to help get the Defence to play better. Unsure how good their OL is.
Giants are dead without Saquon. Daniel Jones, he's probably gotten too much mileage on him and he never had the brain to process the game(except when he plays against Washington, then he turns into a freaking HOFer).

The defense for Washington will continue to suck this year. The secondary has either new guys or guys who suck. Meaning big plays will still be given up. The linebackers...well...nothing has changed. They've been garbage since London Fletcher left.
They just might be better because Quinn brings a new scheme and may be less predictable than Jack Del Rio.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I just mean that he doesn't seem like a guy who's going to get done in by normal wear and tear. Dude comes back from two season-ending injuries and led the best rushing attack in rushing.
I think it is still a thing to watch only because he takes a lot of contact for a QB. He gets sacked quite a bit and takes a lot of hits with how often he runs. Jackson is damned tough, but it's a lot of hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad