What's The Argument For Lemieux Over Orr?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You tell me, you seem to be the expert ;).

Scotty Bowman, the greatest coach of all time has Orr at #1.
That's nostalgia or he just doesn't really believe it. Bowman may be the only person to coach Orr and Gretzky (and Lemieux too) in a competitive environment and coach against them as well, but what does he know compared to people who only saw Gretzky (or maybe just Lemieux) or who at least have access to hockey reference?

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Bowman list makes more sense when you know

1) he's not ranking top but best and it's different
2) he values defensive play a lot
3) he didn't put the time in that this forum does

There are lots of oddities. Like for someone who loves defensive play Richard at 3 is odd. Or Morenz in front of Beliveau. The list isn't internally consistent but that doesn't mean it carries zero value.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I coached Orr and he's the greatest ever! said Don Cherry. Repeatedly. Endlessly. Until many bought the mantra.

I coached Lemieux and he's the greatest ever! said Scotty Bowman.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Bowman list makes more sense when you know

1) he's not ranking top but best and it's different
2) he values defensive play a lot
3) he didn't put the time in that this forum does

There are lots of oddities. Like for someone who loves defensive play Richard at 3 is odd. Or Morenz in front of Beliveau. The list isn't internally consistent but that doesn't mean it carries zero value.
Don't forget Clark over Gilmour!

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
TIL orr over gretzky and/or mario is canadian bias

why am i still reading this thread?
That is because Europeans don't watch the NHL (most games start at like 2AM and before the internet there was no way of watching any of the games) and just look at the point totals and Gretzky has 1000 more points than Lemieux and 2000 more than Orr.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That is because Europeans don't watch the NHL (most games start at like 2AM and before the internet there was no way of watching any of the games) and just look at the point totals and Gretzky has 1000 more points than Lemieux and 2000 more than Orr.

Orr was a defenseman!

Comparing point totals is just so stupid!

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
You can win 8 Stanley cups as a player or be literally Mario Lemieux, by judged by a coach that won the most games in the history of the league and 14 stanley cups and still have your output called a joke...

And we can take I guess by people that never saw Richard pre-injuries play. Gretzky his whole career, won 4 Stanley Cups, I think it is overthinking a bit to not simply put him alone greatest of all time, but best ? That do open the door.

Reactions: sanscosm

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
You can win 8 Stanley cups as a player or be literally Mario Lemieux, by judged by a coach that won the most games in the history of the league and 14 stanley cups and still have your output called a joke...

And we can take I guess by people that never saw Richard pre-injuries play. Gretzky his whole career, won 4 Stanley Cups, I think it is overthinking a bit to not simply put him alone greatest of all time, but best ? That do open the door.

All due respect to Bowman as the best coach ever, but his list is terrible.

It is impossible to defend because some of the takes are horrible and as someone pointed out above, internally inconsistent as well.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
All due respect to Bowman as the best coach ever, but his list is terrible.

It is impossible to defend because some of the takes are horrible and as someone pointed out above, internally inconsistent as well.
It's fairly easy to defend, as it is the single most credible list anyone has ever produced in hockey. Doesn't make it perfect or definitive but it has more credibility than anything that anyone criticizing it can produce. Even just his contentious top five, the knowledge of those players possessed by Bowman is something that people would kill for, and his ability to analyze the game is beyond that of anyone criticizing his list as well. His list doesn't fit the hfboards history section norm, but to 99.9% of people that is a problem with this section more than it is with Bowman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad