What's one thing that would make you completely quit your team and never come back?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was/am a lapsed NFL fan. I grew up in a Los Angeles suburb and my interest dissipated when the Raiders/Rams moved when I was a kid. I picked it up a decade later after settling in San Diego, but deja vu with the Chargers moving. Even though it was to LA, I don't watch or follow the team with the same level of interest. Granted I guess that's not exactly "quit on your team" but I've refused to buy any merch or tickets since they moved.

I was a new hockey fan thanks to Gretzky and my interest spiked when they made the SCF in 1993. Then they missed the playoffs in 1994 and I jumped on the Devils bandwagon which was only intended to be a temporary thing. Then LA missed again in 1995 and I decided to cheer on the Devils again after a fun ride the previous year. That turned out to be fortuitous timing.

Meanwhile LA's owner was going through money problems and almost everybody I cheered for got traded. Between the 1993 SCF and opening night 1996, I believe Rob Blake was the only guy who remained. So it was like a completely different team that I had no connection to. By then other kids at school accused me of being a frontrunner, so I've been overcompensating as a Devils fan ever since.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Outside influences. There's been times when my life just doesn't allow for lots of time to watch and follow hockey. So if I had more things pop up, then my hockey fandom might just fall by the wayside.

But the team itself? Probably nothing. No change in roster, management, coaching, or any amount of on-ice failure or futility would change that. Even following a rebuild can be tons of fun.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Nothing. People talking about predators and stuff, look up Ballard and what awful things happened under his watch. Boot the sick f***ers out and let new people in. The logo and franchise didn't do anything, those specific people did.

I've gone a decade without playoffs, I've gone multiple decades without a playoff win. I've never seen my team win the cup and neither have my parents. I've seen them trade top prospects for junk, and beloved Leafs for subpar returns for them to find success elsewhere. I've watched guys like Sundin claim to retire and then go play for another team.

I've seen them hire mind boggling stupid GM's, give out terrible unmoveable contracts, have a team full of unlikeable country club type players with NMC. I've seen franchise players choose money over a potential cup.

I find enjoyment watching other teams and following their story lines each season. I watch every Leaf game, and sometimes my give a shit fades like this past regular season it just felt the same, but I always follow and always plan my nights around watching the game I love

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I literally have my favorite team tattooed on my chest, so I'm sort of all-in at this point lol.

I'm not sure there's really anything that could happen. Even with disgusting behavior, enabling predators and such, it's hard to really say that is the entire organization's fault.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If they were bought by some supervillian owner I just couldn't support. But even that wouldn't be "never come back" once there was new ownership.

Reactions: Realgud

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Melnyk pretty much ruined me paying attention to the Sens. Though tbf I was in the process of a move and had a new hometown team to follow. If that wasn't the case who knows.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
When the Florida (well, now Miami) Marlins hired Derek Jeter to run the club, and then he promptly traded away the entire outfield and started running the club as a AAAA farm team for the Yankees, I stopped going to games, watching, or caring. That was years ago, and I've never even been tempted to go back. Even for a moment. Even when they made the playoffs.

And I do really enjoy going to baseball games.

So yeah, I guess if that happened to the Panthers, I'd probably just start driving out to more Everblades games.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Twice I've washed my hands of a team. In 1977-78 - when Rod Gilbert had to choose between retirement and a trade, and took the former - I turned my back on the New York Rangers. That was the last straw: Jean Ratelle, Vic Hadfield, Brad Park, Ed Giacomin were already gone. In 1989-90, the Quebec Nordiques traded Peter Stastny and Michel Goulet. Real Cloutier, Dale Hunter, Peter's brothers were already gone. I turned my back on the Nordiques. Haven't really warmed up to another team since.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
If the owner repeatedly abuses the fans.

Dan Snyder did that and I quit being a fan of the team. He is a truly awful person though - treating women like objects, suing poor old ladies, lying constantly, and completely destroying the game day experience in favor of milking every possible penny.

Reactions: DaveG

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Essentially this is what it feels like being a Habs fan and not leaving. ..

kevin-bacon.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad