What's going on with Tavares ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
endless rumors on Marner but barely nothing about what the teams planning on doing with our biggest issue which is Captain Mumbles , whether they trade or re-sign Mitch the most important move is getting rid of Tavares so why so quiet ?

Reactions: koyvoo

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Because he has a NMC, just recently had a bunch of kids so its highly unlikely he would be willing to uproot his entire life.

We're stuck with him. Just hope they don't over pay to bring him back after next season. If he wants to stay here and play, he should be taking as little as possible.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Because he has a NMC, just recently had a bunch of kids so its highly unlikely he would be willing to uproot his entire life.

We're stuck with him. Just hope they don't over pay to bring him back after next season. If he wants to stay here and play, he should be taking as little as possible.
Pretty much this, I still think JT at the right price could be a serviceable 3rd or 4th line centre, but I’m starting to think a change for both the team and player might be the best thing once his current contract is done…….

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

actually we're not stuck with him until he decides to retire , he has 1 yr left so if we don't offer him an extension his options are to retire or uproot his family and move to another city , i know it's not an easy move considering he's the only married player with a family in the league but it can be done

and my main point is you hear nothing , no they want to bring him back for his final year or they're looking to re-sign him , basically it's just crickets which is a little strange imo

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I agree they aren't moving fast enough.

They should have traded Captain Boat Anchor before he tanked his value even more at the WC's. At minimal they should have stripped his "C" by now. One thing that has become abundantly clear these last six weeks for anyone who hasn't realized it before.

Tavares is a loser who hasn't won a damn thing yet.

And it's looking more and more like he never will. Not as a leader anyway. Riding along on a stacked team Canada to a gold medal doesn't count.

As a leader Tavares has failed each and every time.

That's why there's no news on him right now. The guy just lost in the first round of the playoffs again. Then followed that up by Captaining team Canada to a non-medal performance.

The media isn't gonna be making any noise about the fact the Captain of the hockey team they own is a big time loser who couldn't lead a whale to water.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
There's no chatter because he's not going to be moved. He has a NMC and he has a young family. He's a negative value asset in relation to his cap hit at this point as well. Only way Tavares leaves is if both sides mutually agree to part ways.

Tavares will very likely be re-signed and I expect him to retire a Maple Leaf, for better or worse.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Nothing's going on - he's 33, declining, and making $11m, coming off his slowest season for offensive contribution in over a decade. There's not teams lining up ready to hand you assets for someone like that.

He's still an effective player who held up his end of the free agency deal he signed with Toronto. He's also got a full NMC, the captaincy, and has a young family that is very happy here - I understand the need to be ruthless, but you still have to treat people properly.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
There's no chatter because he's not going to be moved. He has a NMC and he has a young family. He's a negative value asset in relation to his cap hit at this point as well. Only way Tavares leaves is if both sides mutually agree to part ways.

Tavares will very likely be re-signed and I expect him to retire a Maple Leaf, for better or worse.
This is almost certainly going to be proven correct. It's just a matter of what his next contract looks like. It will no doubt be team-friendly, because I doubt he wants to play anywhere else for the last few years of his career.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
endless rumors on Marner but barely nothing about what the teams planning on doing with our biggest issue which is Captain Mumbles , whether they trade or re-sign Mitch the most important move is getting rid of Tavares so why so quiet ?

He's going to Edmonton or Vancouver as a UFA in 12 months...

• Haha
Reactions: trellaine201

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's going to Edmonton or Vancouver as a UFA in 12 months...
I would think the other side of the continent would be the last place he'd be interested in going to.

IMO, 95% he retires a Leaf, 5% he goes to Buffalo where his uncle is a legend.

Reactions: AvroArrow

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Nobody's taking this turd off our team, don't get your hopes up. We're stuck with him until the contract says we're not.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
actually we're not stuck with him until he decides to retire , he has 1 yr left so if we don't offer him an extension his options are to retire or uproot his family and move to another city , i know it's not an easy move considering he's the only married player with a family in the league but it can be done

and my main point is you hear nothing , no they want to bring him back for his final year or they're looking to re-sign him , basically it's just crickets which is a little strange imo
I mean hes a local, he has family in the area, his wife is from the area. Hes in his mid 30s with toddlers. This isnt someone with older kids, or living in an area theyre not from, or theyre in search of that payday contract. None of this applies to JT's current situation. Like if the leafs refused to sign him after next year it wouldnt surprise me if he just retired (he would be 35 at that point before the season started).

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Our only hope on that front is LTIR.

We’re not trading a 1st+ to dump him and clear that cap even if he agreed.

Also pray we don’t extend him for some nonsensical number which is another brain dead possibility.

Reactions: HolyCrap

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Suck it up. He is here for another year. It will be painful but he came here as a top UFA star. That has to count for something. But I guess some would be happier signing Kampfs and Jarnkroks.

P.S. Next year is most likely a write off so JT staying is not an issue. No interest in resigning Marner at his ask or at any number over $8m and even that makes me gag.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Suck it up. He is here for another year. It will be painful but he came here as a top UFA star. That has to count for something. But I guess some would be happier signing Kampfs and Jarnkroks,
I can take 1 more year if other changes are made. Win or lose, at least I know Tavares won’t be seeking/getting 8 years at double digits. Easy enough to move on. I would prefer if we could find a legit 2C and move him to the wing for this year.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I can take 1 more year if other changes are made. Win or lose, at least I know Tavares won’t be seeking/getting 8 years at double digits. Easy enough to move on. I would prefer if we could find a legit 2C and move him to the wing for this year.
Tavrares is the least of our problems. Building a team around 3 losers who have melted for the past 8 of 9 playoff series is the problem. You can surround them with Jesus Christ and his 12 best disciples and they still will not win. Florida would have rolled this team in 3 if the Leafs could get to the 3rd round.

Look at what Florida is doing to a better, deeper Rangers team. If not for Shesterkin, Tkachuk and his buddies would be lying on the beach, golfing and waiting for the winner of Dallas/Edmonton. You know 2 of 3 things the 3 amigos do in May.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If we can add a quality centre in free agency, I would strongly consider moving him to the wing next season to try and get the most out of him.

Reactions: therealkoho

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Tavares is old and slow and his contract would be impossible to move. At least he has contributed some bigger moments in the playoffs.

Marner is younger, slightly faster and apparently Gretzky like, so it’s obvious that 29 teams should be lining up for him no matter the cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad