Value of: What's a Realistic Pettersson trade even look like?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
EP40 is struggling in Vancouver, The knives are starting to come out already, Even with the Canucks playing so well.
SN650 post game show it was a significant talking point, And fans are getting frustrated with his current play.
Just for fun, and as a class project, What does a EP40 Trade remotely look like?

Reactions: hn777

Vorshayla

Jan 2, 2022
To ARI: Elias Pettersson, Danila Klimovich

To VAN: Jakob Chychrun, 2nd round 2022

I mean, I dunno, ARI gets the best player in the deal and Van's top prospect to rebuild around Petterson if they so choose. It's only a 2 year commitment after this year, they have the room for his salary and can move on from him if he truly doesn't regain his elite status

Vancouver gets a legit top 4 Dman, albeit on his off side, and recoups a 2nd in this years draft

One would think Pettersson's value is dropping, but one would also think he's the highest ceiling player ARI will ever see in a deal for Chychrun

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The minute after the Canucks trade EP they will regret it. This kid has been a stud the past few season and on a year when the team was a mess up until recently the fan base is willing to trade a 1C who is in his early 20’s and struggling....makes sense.

Look unless you getting a bonafide 1st pairing RHD or another 1C in return this will haunt the organization.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
A #1RHD of roughly similar age. They could roll Miller and Horvat as their top 2 Cs anyway. Wingers can be found anywhere. Ever been to Vancouver? Nice place for a young millionaire to live.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Johansen for Jones type of trade. Johansen had some questions, as I recall, and Jones was relatively unproven still.
Came here to say this. It is probably the best historical comparison in the cap era.

Unless Vancouver is capable of trading Pettersson for a RD of the same age or younger with top pairing pedigree—I don’t think they make a trade.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It doesn’t make sense that EP suddenly lost most of his hockey ability at his age. If he’s struggling there is a reason. You’d think VAN management would know what is going on behind the scenes. As long as his struggles aren’t because he’s pouting about his contract or wants out now it makes zero sense to trade him.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone rate Nylander though?

I don’t know, all I know is that he had a similar production drop that season after holding out, many Leafs wanted to dump him and now he’s top 10 or so in scoring.

Pettersson didn’t miss any game action this season but did miss all of training camp and hadn’t played any meaningful hockey since March. To me his struggles look more like a timing issue that has turned into frustration/mental problems more than him all of a sudden losing his talent/abilities. Maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist or something?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
This would be an absolutely horrendous move. It shouldn’t even be a talking point. The guy is having a bad season, and now he’s in his own head. He’ll be fine in the long run, and he’s a player we desperately need.

If you want to talk “for fun”, you’d need a key prospect coming back in any package. Either that, or a top 5 draft pick. That way we could draft another center.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
It would be a mistake to trade him. You atleast give him next season to bounce back. He can still easily bounce back, I'd love to have him on the leafs.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
No chance Montreal does that. First off they don’t have the cap, but secondly with Pettersson’s regression the last couple seasons and injury issues I wouldn’t give up a top 5 pick for him.
Ya i never thought out the cap complications for us in the future but i'd sure as hell would really look into it.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
No chance Montreal does that. First off they don’t have the cap, but secondly with Pettersson’s regression the last couple seasons and injury issues I wouldn’t give up a top 5 pick for him.

Couple seasons? He had 21 points in 26 games last year. He missed half of a shortened covid ridden season.

You must be pretty confident in your teams amateur scouting (lol) if you think you're all but guaranteed a better player than Elias Pettersson who has already won a calder and performed at a near ppg pace over the course of his career.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Couple seasons? He had 21 points in 26 games last year. He missed half of a shortened covid ridden season.

You must be pretty confident in your teams amateur scouting (lol) if you think you're all but guaranteed a better player than Elias Pettersson who has already won a calder and performed at a near ppg pace over the course of his career.
Based on where Montréal is right now I’d rather have a top 5 pick coming in on an entry level deal than Pettersson at $7.5m for the next 3 seasons. He’s a talented player but he has durability issues and his play has gone off a cliff this season. He looks lost and disinterested

Reactions: Ciao

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Trading him would be stupid. A month ago Barzal was filling this forum with trade proposals and now he's untouchable again.

In a year at most and possibly within this season, Pettersson will be back to being a PPG 1C while playing selke defense and the proposals of trading him will be forgotten... until the next slump.

It matters because there wouldn't be a realistic trade that makes sense for the Canucks. The Eichel trade illustrates that.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad