What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I googled Mitch Marner and this was one of the first results that came up. You have tp wonder about his future in Toronto, with his unsavvy media responses to the Mirtle podcast of implying Marner has hired security to harass media to his lack lustre playoffs that culminated with this play. Matthews & Tavares had 1 goal each in the series and Shanahan is the architect of this 1 and out team, but it looks like Marner is going to be this year's scapegoat. Don't think he deserves to take all the blame, certainly part of it though.

Pasta was Rielly's guy. Anyone who has played organized hockey can see that.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
O-Dog: "Listen Ray (ferraro) we've been getting a million opinions since the loss, you were in between the benches for a majority of this series, so i trust your opinion above all else. Please do to tell what you personally saw with him, whats the first words that come to mind with Marner"

Ferraro: I thought he was uninterested.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
O-Dog: "Listen Ray (ferraro) we've been getting a million opinions since the loss, you were in between the benches for a majority of this series. Please do to tell what you personally saw, whats the first words that come to mind with Marner"

Ferraro: I thought he was uninterested.

8 years in and he still acts like this come playoff time. Not sure who’s worse come post season time, him or Todd Bertuzzi..

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
8 years in and he still acts like this come playoff time. Not sure who’s worse come post season time, him or Todd Bertuzzi..

You know those commercials he films with Pronger and I think Draisaitl for some obscure gambling company.

Apparently they were filmed at his house lake house from Marek.
Maybe he wanted to be there like NOW while the series was still happening

I think countless hockey guys have told locker rooms stories on podcasts of players who were discussing offseasons plans while still playing, and is just grinned their gears.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
By all means blame Reily. That doesn’t mean Marner couldn’t have actually done something on that play. Both dropped the ball.
That's called hindsight.

Marner deserves heat, but not collapsing into the corner on a cross-corner dump-in isn't one of them.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
There is Kucherov, Panarin, Rantanen and Pasta level. Then there is Kaprizov, Tkachuk, Nylander level. Third level is Forsberg, Marchand and Robertson level. After that we can maybe include Marner..

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
A number of the comments on this and other threads reference Marner's no movement clause, and some of the side conversations reference Tavares' as well, and how they are now like a millstone around the neck for the Leafs cap situation.

It seems to me that these seem to be pretty prevalent in the NHL. I could be wrong (since when I was kid I never followed the nuances of contract details for players) but it seems like more of a recent phenomenon to include NMC in player contracts.

I understand to a small degree why teams do this, to incentivize players to sign the contracts, but in Marner's case, it seemed like a roll of the dice since I'm not sure if it could be shown that at contract signing, that he performed to potential. Maybe it was not so much about awarding him a bonus for performance; rather they would be worried that other teams may poach him and decided to make the first strike at retention. Still, seeing how the Marner and Tavares contracts have that clause...and I think Nylander's and Matthews does as well - it seems the NMC has a much more long term detrimental impact on the team than on the player.

It just grates me the amount of control and power the player has over their employers. Sure, teachers and professors can get tenure and Canadian senators have it too so they can't get fired, but typically that is after a certain period of service.

To give a player a NMC and then ask them to lift it for the benefit of the team seems like a backwards way of doing things (at least to me). In Marner's case, I would suspect if he can be agreeable to be moved, it would be on his terms and likely the return would not be to the Leafs' advantage. I think given his level of performance and what seems to be a rather unlikeable personality, the Leafs may want to just suck it up and take the loss (financially) on this one.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's called hindsight.

Marner deserves heat, but not collapsing into the corner on a cross-corner dump-in isn't one of them.
He stopped skating. Is he to blame? People always look for someone to blame. I wouldn’t put it entirely on one player. It was a set play for a reason and it was executed well.

But he didn’t skate and quit on the play. And he always seems to be in the ice for game winners against in the playoffs.

I don’t know if it’s nerves, bad luck, his style of play… probably a combination of all three. But he sucks in the playoffs man. Irredeemably so in my opinion.

Maybe he goes somewhere else and finds his game. Maybe he needs a different mix of players and to get out of the spotlight. I don’t know. But he sucks where he is.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
He played in four games - one where he couldn’t skate and got pulled midway through.

No, it is not the same thing.
1 goal in his last 10 playoff games.

0 goals in 6 final elimination games.

He is getting 13.5 million for a guy who's production levels in his career are closer to 6 million.

Not sure why you're so hellbent on making excuses for Matthews, historically he and Marner are both colossal failures come playoff time

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They both have a significant sample size now of producing far less when the games matter and opponents bring max effort every shift and every night compared to their regular season production.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

He is getting 13.5 million for a guy who's production levels in his career are closer to 6 million.

Not sure why you're so hellbent on making excuses for Matthews, historically he and Marner are both colossal failures come playoff time
Other than regular season accolades they both suck equally hard in the playoffs.

I think ego makes them run it back again, because they won't do what's necessary to change the core, just hope a new coach can change it.

How is Shanahan still employed?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
NMC mainly means returns are not going to be as good as open market, not that the player can't be moved, unless they're extremely difficult.

They probably could move Marner, it'll be a question of retained/returns. I don't think he's a guy we get rid of "at all costs" given that he's the 10th highest scoring player in the entire league since entering the NHL 8 seasons ago.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
i cant see marner staying if he's hiring private security in the offseason. a trade give him a fresh start and probably a long term contract.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I’ve already explained this. If you want to actually address why I’ve said, I’ll be here. Until then feel free to go on with stuff like “he had a tummy ache”…

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Other than regular season accolades they both suck equally hard in the playoffs.

I think ego makes them run it back again, because they won't do what's necessary to change the core, just hope a new coach can change it.

How is Shanahan still employed?
Yeah it's pretty much the same dropoff:

Matthews season ppg/gpg vs playoffs
1.16/.66
.87/.42

Marner's season ppg/gpg vs playoffs
1.1/.33
.88/.2

They're just not DAWGS like Mack/Crosby/Ovie/McDavid and others. Unfortunately all of them have a similar makeup in terms of Nylander, Tavares, Matthews and Marner, softer, quieter, skill guys.

I’ve already explained this. If you want to actually address why I’ve said, I’ll be here. Until then feel free to go on with stuff like “he had a tummy ache”…
Matthews gets paid more, has the same if not worse dropoff, is a center and not a winger and you are focused on Marner, they are both the problem.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah it's pretty much the same dropoff:

Matthews season ppg/gpg vs playoffs
1.16/.66
.87/.42

Marner's season ppg/gpg vs playoffs
1.1/.33
.88/.2

They're just not DAWGS like Mack/Crosby/Ovie/McDavid and others. Unfortunately all of them have a similar makeup in terms of Nylander, Tavares, Matthews and Marner, softer, quieter, skill guys.

Matthews gets paid more, has the same if not worse dropoff, is a center and not a winger and you are focused on Marner, they are both the problem.
One’s a bigger problem than the other. I’ve already showed why.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
i cant see marner staying if he's hiring private security in the offseason. a trade give him a fresh start and probably a long term contract.
Nashville maybe. They need scoring and he would help - at least in the regular season. It’s a bit removed from the spotlight and still a playoff team.

The city has turned against him. It’s time for him to move on. We’ll see though. He’s really defiant. He may just not waive. If that’s the case fdue Leafs would have to play hardball and let them know he’s only coming back for less money. That might do it.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1715308286549.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad