What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Mitch Marner and Elias Pettersson need to go to some get tough camp. Pettersson is the Swedish version of Marner right now, it'll be tough if he doesn't get going.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Mitch Marner and Elias Pettersson need to go to some get tough camp. Pettersson is the Swedish version of Marner right now, it'll be tough if he doesn't get going.
The big difference is that Marner has done this 8 straight years now.
Pettersson has been poor in these 4 games but he was excellent in his first playoffs with the Canucks in the 2019-2020 season. Definitely needs to pick up his play a lot this year though.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Marner is a skilled perimeter player who needs to be on a team with a centermen who can take all the heat and pressure and put the team on his back to let Marner just do his thing..

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
It's honestly not worth the energy arguing with people who think Matthews plays the same way as Marner. Sure, I'll buy that Matthews hasn't put the team on his back either but that isn't the problem Leaf fans have with Marner. Matthews always engages physically and tries his ass off. Same with Tavares (who simply lacks ability at this stage).

I would also say, Matthews vanishing probably has a lot to do with Marner being on his wing. Hard to have any impact when your winger is a p***y.

And anyone trying to spin the narrative he is weak for not playing through whatever when they have no idea what it even is and don't understand the concept of liability (where a Dr needs to sign off on players being able to play so they don't drop dead) is also not worth the time. They have a narrative and don't care about facts.
"Matthews always engages physically and tries his ass off" so he just sucks then? If he tries hard and accomplishes nothing... well then that doesn't bode well for his future playoff performances.

"Matthews vanishing probably has a lot to do with Marner being on his wing" he has played multiple games with Bertuzzi and Domi, so what wingers does he need to play with in order to stop getting all the excuses in the universe? I thought franchise centers were supposed to make the players around them better.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
"Matthews always engages physically and tries his ass off" so he just sucks then? If he tries hard and accomplishes nothing... well then that doesn't bode well for his future playoff performances.

"Matthews vanishing probably has a lot to do with Marner being on his wing" he has played multiple games with Bertuzzi and Domi, so what wingers does he need to play with in order to stop getting all the excuses in the universe? I thought franchise centers were supposed to make the players around them better.

Dude is so sick he is being pulled by Dr's what do you think?

Actually don't answer that I don't really care

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Marner is always one of the few leafs I see breaking his neck trying to win every playoffs. The coaches obviously trust him too because he's tossed out there to defend over and over and almost every key situation. He is surrounded by players that play with 1/2 his passion though, that only care about personal highlights.

Obviously he is not a huge body, so playoffs will always be hard for him. But I don't question his effort, unlike some other guys.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
My Dad was like that, even though I played at a much lower level of competition.

On the ride home:

"In the 2nd period, about eight minutes left, you gave the puck away along the boards instead of looking for the easy outlet."

"Yes, Dad, I remember, I was there."

He was worse to my older (and better) brother. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of mistakes made in the game which he would rattle off.

Interestingly, my brother coaches boys and girls hockey, and has 3 daughters, and when my Dad showed up and acted up a bit at one of their games during a loss, he gave our Dad an ultimatum about his behaviour or he wouldn't be allowed to attend any future games.

Since then he's actually been pretty good. I'm proud of my brother for telling him how it is.

I used to dread the ride home after one of my losses.
stuff no child should have to go through. Can really suck the enjoyment out of it man. Sorry you had to deal with all that as a kid just trying to play a sport you love.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I think everyone knows the answer by this point as we see this from him the last 6 years in playoffs when his team actually has expectations. Better question is why hasn’t he figured it out by now?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think everyone knows the answer by this point as we see this from him the last 6 years in playoffs when his team actually has expectations. Better question is why hasn’t he figured it out by now?
Hasn’t he led the team in scoring every playoff ?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

Better question is why hasn't any of them figured it out by now?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
People who are trying to argue that Mattews isn’t as good in the postseason as Marner aren’t watching the games or paying attention.

Yeah, the playoff point production is similar but Marner is almost entirely assists. And he goes away almost entirely in big games. Matthews isn’t great but he’s a hell of a lot better than Marner is.

And Nylander is consistently their best threat. He doesn’t always produce but he at least provides effort and is always their most dangerous player. Cool stat from the other night: 11 points when facing elimination in 13 games. Not bad at all. Marner on the other hand? Dude just goes away. Since turning 23, Nylander’s about a point per game and averaging 39 goals over 82. Great numbers. And he shows up in big games and actually scores.

The good news for Marner? He can still write the script. He can still step it up and do something. We’ll see what happens in game 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos2k7

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
People who are trying to argue that Mattews isn’t as good in the postseason as Marner aren’t watching the games or paying attention.

Yeah, the playoff point production is similar but Marner is almost entirely assists. And he goes away almost entirely in big games. Matthews isn’t great but he’s a hell of a lot better than Marner is.

And Nylander is consistently their best threat. He doesn’t always produce but he at least provides effort and is always their most dangerous player. Cool stat from the other night: 11 points when facing elimination in 13 games. Not bad at all. Marner on the other hand? Dude just goes away. Since turning 23, Nylander’s about a point per game and averaging 39 goals over 82. Great numbers. And he shows up in big games and actually scores.

The good news for Marner? He can still write the script. He can still step it up and do something. We’ll see what happens in game 7.
I'm sorry where has Matthew's been again? This bum had his team down 3-1 and then took a week off for a tummy ache while Marner and Nylander won the last 2 games.

Matthew's is a fraud. He is terrible.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm sorry where has Matthew's been again? This bum had his team down 3-1 and then took a week off for a tummy ache while Marner and Nylander won the last 2 games.

Matthew's is a fraud. He is terrible.
He played well in the first three games. He’s also the only reason they won game two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00