What would Bobby Orr's number's look like in todays NHL?

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Last year, I've got to think he'd have flirted with 100 assists with what McDavid and Kucherov did. And with Karlsson having that 100 point season, I've got to think it even more likely. And he was going to get his share of goals too, so I don't know? Recent years might not be far off of what he got irl. Also consider that medical technology would make his knees better. That could lead to a bit of an increase too.

Ultimately, I think he's the kind of player that would translate well to any era and would dominate any era. And it's important to recall that he was not only numbers. He was solid defense and physical play too. Really an all-around player that excelled in all aspects of the game.

Reactions: rfournier103

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
So he's on a team with a great supporting cast and an all-time goal scorer?

Orr is strange because I assume he was the reason his teammates looked so good but if he played today, entirely healthy, I'd say 25 G and 100 assists?

Orr ages fine in any era. I wouldn't say the same for Howe, for instance, but Orr is going to be excel regardless.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
on a per 82 game basis he'd average like 30 goals & 75 assists imo

Orr is strange because I assume he was the reason his teammates looked so good but if he played today, entirely healthy, I'd say 25 G and 100 assists?

Orr ages fine in any era. I wouldn't say the same for Howe, for instance, but Orr is going to be excel regardless.
He didn't even average 100 assists on a per 82 game basis in the soft post expansion 1970s while having one of the greatest goalscorers ever on his line so how could he average that many assists in 2024?

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013

Howe is the one guy we don’t need to guess about.

He aged just fine in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s — all the way to 1980. Not a hypothetical. Did just fine against Dit Clapper and Ray Bourque.

Reactions: Professor What

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Contending for the Art Ross, pretty much any year historically unless prime healthy Gretzky or Lemieux is around.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
He didn't even average 100 assists on a per 82 game basis in the soft post expansion 1970s while having one of the greatest goalscorers ever on his line so how could he average that many assists in 2024?
Only 95.4 per 82 true and only went over 90 assists once

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I said it before. Bobby Orr would be better than about half of the defencemen in the league. Some might claim he would be higher, but the guy is in his 70s now.

Okay, snark off. The guy was transcendent. He saw the game differently and read it like no one else aside from Gretzky; when you combine that with his raw ability and his doggedness (the guy was tough in addition to being super talented, and when Don Cherry talks about his humility, it was that humility that drove him to be what he was) all of those things made him the best all-around player ever.

Today, take the top defenceman and add 15% and you have Bobby Orr. Whatever Makar does, add an Orr premium and that's what you end up with.

Last edited:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Over 100 points routinely I would say. From 1969-'75 he had 6 seasons in a row of at least 101 points. And that 101 point season he missed 15 games. He had Espo with him this whole time, but Orr was great right from a 14 year old in junior, he hardly needed charity. But if Makar and Hughes are getting 90+ points in a season, then Orr does better and plays a more physical and solid all around game. He's winning the Norrises like cracker jacks today too. Probably gets an Art Ross or two. He did it with his own teammate Esposito on his team.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
He would hit 120-140 regularly. From a purely offensive standpoint, I think he's similar to a Kucherov. Maybe a bit better.

The difference maker of course being that he would be a top defensive defenseman in the league too.

A Makar++ if you will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad