What would a 40 team NHL look like

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
It's the offseason and I'm bored... Obviously it won't happen but regardless

The NHL doesn't care about anything but money even when it negatively affects the sport. So there's definitely a chance it could happen.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Even more watered down than currently, when even now just about every team has like 5 players who shouldn't even be in the league and are only playing because the league is too large.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I’ll try to clean it up.

Eastern Conference
Atlantic:
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Washington

Southeast:
Carolina
Nashville
Tampa Bay
Florida
Atlanta

Northeast:
Boston
Toronto
Ottawa
Montreal
Quebec

Mideast:
Detroit
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Hamilton

Western Conference

Midwest:
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Chicago
St. Louis
Kansas City

Central:
Colorado
Dallas
Utah
Houston
Omaha

Northwest:
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Seattle
Portland

Pacific:
Los Angeles
Anaheim
San Jose
Vegas
Arizona
omaha? why?

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
omaha? why?
I put my reasoning but they would have an instant grab on the entire state of Nebraska and they have a good hockey program

View attachment 900426

Joking aside and recognizing the offseason nature of the post, I think sticking at 32 makes sense for now.
at least someone gets it and yea I doubt we see another wave of expansion until 2030 at least

The NHL doesn't care about anything but money even when it negatively affects the sport. So there's definitely a chance it could happen.
you just described 99% of all businesses in the world

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
East
Atlanta Alphas
Boston Bruins
Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Black Hawks
Cincinnati Stingers
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Florida Panthers
Hamilton Tigers
Montréal Canadiens
Nashville Predators
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Orlando Mighty Mice
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leaves
Washington Capitals

West
Alberta Stampede
Anaheim Ducks
Austin Weird
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
Houston Aeros
Kansas City Scouts
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
Omaha Sabres
Phoenix Coyotes
Portland Roses
St. Louis Blues
San Diego Seals
San Francisco Pride
San José Sharks
Seattle Kraken
Utah Hockey Club
Vancouver Canucks
Vegas Golden Knights

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
you just described 99% of all businesses in the world

Obviously businesses are there to create a profit or increase shareholder wealth, but the NHL is in a special group that relies on its customers' undying love of the sport to increase revenue by making the product markedly worse. It's basically the drug dealer model.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Obviously businesses are there to create a profit or increase shareholder wealth, but the NHL is in a special group that relies on its customers' undying love of the sport to increase revenue by making the product markedly worse. It's basically the drug dealer model.
To play devils advocate:
More teams=more fans
More fans=more people paying for the NHL package
More people paying for the NHL package=more money

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
To play devils advocate:
More teams=more fans
More fans=more people paying for the NHL package
More people paying for the NHL package=more money
With 32 teams already, a new team is ~3% growth. If 3% growth every few years is the growth model, fire all of the consultants because that’s awful.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
With it being the offseason and all the talks about expansion recently it has me thinking. What would a 40 team leauge look like. Assuming the NHL does (and personally I think they do) expands again they would have to add 4 teams to make the conferences/divisions work, since 34 is only divisible by 4 numbers (1, 2, 17 and 34). So when expansion inevitably comes there will at the very least be 4 new teams.
They don't have to do shit. For 12 seasons from 1979 to 1991, there were 21 teams in four divisions, and it was kind of awesome.

An uneven split isn't the problem some seem to think it is, and expanding to 33 or 34 (or whatever it will be will be) won't bring down civilization as we know it. They'll just have nine teams in one or two of the four divisions, with eight in the rest... and they will take the path of least resistance, adding the new one(s) to the existing divisions. They aren't going to do a wholesale realignment thing that so many people seem to fetishize whenever expansion ideas are raised.

Expansion might result in a play-in round, but they sure as shit aren't going from 32 to 36 in one go.

Saskatoon? Really?

Reactions: adsfan

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Teams in Myrtle Beach, Little Rock, Birmingham, Biloxi, Tallahassee, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Houston. Done deal, let's make this happen!

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
They don't have to do shit. For 12 seasons from 1979 to 1991, there were 21 teams in four divisions, and it was kind of awesome.

An uneven split isn't the problem some seem to think it is, and expanding to 33 or 34 (or whatever it will be will be) won't bring down civilization as we know it. They'll just have nine teams in one or two of the four divisions, with eight in the rest... and they will take the path of least resistance, adding the new one(s) to the existing divisions. They aren't going to do a wholesale realignment thing that so many people seem to fetishize whenever expansion ideas are raised.

Expansion might result in a play-in round, but they sure as shit aren't going from 32 to 36 in one go.

Saskatoon? Really?
And going to 40 teams also won't bring down civilization and no sh*t they aren't going to add 4 teams all at once. I put an explanation for Saskatoon but since you can't read I am not suprised you missed it

Add an 8 team euro division/conference with heavily intradivisional schedules. The top two teams make the playoffs. Top team gets 3 home games first and game 7. 2nd team gets games 4-6 at home.
A Euro division would be awesome travel makes it impossible tho

McDavid might put up 250 points in a season. There's already an insane shortage on good goalies. I can't imagine adding 16 more goalie spots to the league.
Goal tending is so random. Lehner went from not being qualified by Buffalo to being a Vezina finalist

Reactions: HockeyScotty

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
A relegation system would need to be introduced, which would make the whole thing pointless.

Was about to say, this is the only way it would work, but it would probably also be a nightmare with the AHL too, just doesn't seem like it would be feasible right now.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4