What would a 40 team NHL look like

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
With it being the offseason and all the talks about expansion recently it has me thinking. What would a 40 team leauge look like. Assuming the NHL does (and personally I think they do) expands again they would have to add 4 teams to make the conferences/divisions work, since 34 is only divisible by 4 numbers (1, 2, 17 and 34). So when expansion inevitably comes there will at the very least be 4 new teams. Atlanta, Houston and Phoenix are all but confirmed at this point so we know 3 of them already. Anyways enough rambling what I am essentially asking is this:
If the NHL were to add 8 new teams: 5 American and 3 Canadian what cities would you want to have a team. There would be 4 divisions (North/Canadian, South/Central, West and East) with 10 teams in each division. And if you want to give your reasoning for the respected city
North

Canadians
Leafs
Senators
Jets
Flames
Oilers
Canucks
*Quebec City Nordiques: Don't really need an explanation
*Hamilton: A 2nd team in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) would 100% work and instant rivals with the Leafs and Sens
*Saskatoon: They almost got the Blues and they would get the entire Saskatchewan province

East

Islanders
Rangers
Devils
Penguins
Flyers
Bruins
Sabres
Capitals
Red Wings
Blue Jackets

West

Kings
Sharks
Ducks
Kraken
Avalanche
Golden Knights
Utah
Wild
*Arizona Coyotes: The fact Meruelo was originally promised first dibs on an expansion team for Arizona and the Suns owner being interested in a hockey team makes it seem likely
*San Diego/Ohama/Portland: San Diego only has the Padres so there isn't much competition for the NHL although 4 teams in California is a bit much. Ohama is interested in a NHL team, this is one of the more out there picks but they will have the entire state of Nebraska market so there is that. Portland has a rich hockey culture plus instant rivals with the Kraken makes and the Trail Blazers and Timber being the only other team makes this a good choice as well

South/Central

Panthers
Lightning
Predators
Stars
Hurricanes
Blackhawks
Blues
*Houston: 4th largest metro in the USA, owner is practically begging for a team and instant rivals with Dallas
*Atlanta: 3rd times the charm I guess but with all the talks about them it seems pretty inevitable
*Kansas City/Oklahoma City: Decided to combine these 2 since not only do they both end in City but I see both of them as equal markets for very different reasons. For KC, Mahomes has expressed interest in a NHL team and if KC were to get one I would put good money he would have some sort of part in it which would be an easy sell to the residents of Kansas City. OKC only have 1 pro sports team in the Thunder, but unlike the Thunder, this is an original, homegrown team so it won't be to hard to win over the locals

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
You ever see the movie BASEketball? Despite the nature of it, there are some valuable lessons in there, especially the beginning.

Anyways, back on topic. It would look bad. That's about it.
Terribly watered down and incredibly boring talent wise. I wouldn't watch it.
It's the offseason and I'm bored... Obviously it won't happen but regardless

Reactions: WhataKnight

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What a 40 team NHL would really look like

IMG_7561.jpeg

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Other than southern Ontario, I don't see a rock solid option coming out of Canada, and that would also be tricky because the leafs would probably have alot to say in regards to another team walking into their territory.

Houston, phoenix/Scottsdale, and Atlanta are the tantalizing markets left on the board, IMO... which would make it 35 teams.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
With it being the offseason and all the talks about expansion recently it has me thinking. What would a 40 team leauge look like. Assuming the NHL does (and personally I think they do) expands again they would have to add 4 teams to make the conferences/divisions work, since 34 is only divisible by 4 numbers (1, 2, 17 and 34). So when expansion inevitably comes there will at the very least be 4 new teams. Atlanta, Houston and Phoenix are all but confirmed at this point so we know 3 of them already. Anyways enough rambling what I am essentially asking is this:
If the NHL were to add 8 new teams: 5 American and 3 Canadian what cities would you want to have a team. There would be 4 divisions (North/Canadian, South/Central, West and East) with 10 teams in each division. And if you want to give your reasoning for the respected city
North

Canadians
Leafs
Senators
Jets
Flames
Oilers
Canucks
*Hamilton: A 2nd team in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) would 100% work and instant rivals with the Leafs and Sens
*Saskatoon: They almost got the Blues and they would get the entire Saskatchewan province

East

Islanders
Rangers
Devils
Penguins
Flyers
Bruins
Sabres
Capitals
Red Wings
Blue Jackets

West

Kings
Sharks
Ducks
Kraken
Avalanche
Golden Knights
Utah
Wild
*Arizona Coyotes: The fact Meruelo was originally promised first dibs on an expansion team for Arizona and the Suns owner being interested in a hockey team makes it seem likely
*San Diego/Ohama/Portland: San Diego only has the Padres so there isn't much competition for the NHL although 4 teams in California is a bit much. Ohama is interested in a NHL team, this is one of the more out there picks but they will have the entire state of Nebraska market so there is that. Portland has a rich hockey culture plus instant rivals with the Kraken makes and the Trail Blazers and Timber being the only other team makes this a good choice as well

South/Central

Panthers
Lightning
Predators
Stars
Hurricanes
Blackhawks
Blues
*Houston: 4th largest metro in the USA, owner is practically begging for a team and instant rivals with Dallas
*Atlanta: 3rd times the charm I guess but with all the talks about them it seems pretty inevitable
*Kansas City/Oklahoma City: Decided to combine these 2 since not only do they both end in City but I see both of them as equal markets for very different reasons. For KC, Mahomes has expressed interest in a NHL team and if KC were to get one I would put good money he would have some sort of part in it which would be an easy sell to the residents of Kansas City. OKC only have 1 pro sports team in the Thunder, but unlike the Thunder, this is an original, homegrown team so it won't be to hard to win over the locals
it would be like the 32 team league....only more watered down with even less elite teams.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
It would look like a mess
I’ll try to clean it up.

Eastern Conference
Atlantic:
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Washington

Southeast:
Carolina
Nashville
Tampa Bay
Florida
Atlanta

Northeast:
Boston
Toronto
Ottawa
Montreal
Quebec

Mideast:
Detroit
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Hamilton

Western Conference

Midwest:
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Chicago
St. Louis
Kansas City

Central:
Colorado
Dallas
Utah
Houston
Omaha

Northwest:
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Seattle
Portland

Pacific:
Los Angeles
Anaheim
San Jose
Vegas
Arizona

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Some time before 40 the big teams, and I mean the Habs, Rangers, and Leafs of the league, would realize that watering down the product in the name of expansion checques is not good for their long term outlook. These teams (and a few other big markets) kept bottom feeders alive via equalization payments for decades, and while $50m in the mail every few years is awesome and big ol' franchise valuations are great, that value is all just magic beans and the free money has to stop eventually. They'll eventually wake up and realize that they're being played for suckers in the name of "growing the game" when expansion is really just a ponzi scheme.

Diluted talent as there's already not enough good coaches, goalies, or executives to go around. More competition in every area, even harder to win a championship.

I don't think we'd hit 40, the lawsuits would start long before then. The only way 40 ever works is if there's a second tier with relegation, and I can't see the Leafs ever agreeing to a system where they get relegated (even if that's the only way we'll ever win a league har har)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

You don't understand Bettman or how the league operates at all. They'll put a team in Schenectady before it goes to any of these places.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad