Speculation: What will the Wings do??

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
What was Holland thinking with the Helm signing...

I think the recent year deals of Ericsson, Abdelkader, Helm, Cleary, etc are signs that Holland is being overly attached/loyal to his homegrown talent to a fault.

He just cant seem to be able to part with his development and tenured guys and bringing outsiders in.

Who knows, maybe getting burned by guys like Rafalski, Weiss, TooToo, Samuelsson, etc has made him gunshy about letting go of the system guys and investing that money on guys acquired via FA or trade (once their contracts expire)

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What was Holland thinking with the Helm signing...

Helm came up in Detroit's system, Holland is a big fan of Helms plus with Helms speed and with Helm being able to play lots of roles within the system he makes sense. Granted that Helm is way overpaid. Plus Helms fiance grew up with Holland's kids so pretty sure there's that factor as well.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think the recent year deals of Ericsson, Abdelkader, Helm, Cleary, etc are signs that Holland is being overly attached/loyal to his homegrown talent to a fault.

He just cant seem to be able to part with his development and tenured guys and bringing outsiders in.

Who knows, maybe getting burned by guys like Rafalski, Weiss, TooToo, Samuelsson, etc has made him gunshy about letting go of the system guys and investing that money on guys acquired via FA or trade (once their contracts expire)

How was he burned by Rafalski or Tootoo or Samuelsson? Rafalski was awesome and left money on the table to retire and the other two were his own fault.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I

How did the Wings get 'burned' on Rafalski?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

We didn't get burned by Rafalski, He had a bad knee and decided to retire with a year left that came off the books. Granted we got burned by Samuelsson, Tootoo and Weiss but no way did we get burned by Rafalski.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
We didn't get burned by Rafalski, He had a bad knee and decided to retire with a year left that came off the books. Granted we got burned by Samuelsson, Tootoo and Weiss but no way did we get burned by Rafalski.

I only say burned on Rafalski because Holland numerous times has said that Rafalski deciding to retire really put Detroits blue line in a bind moving forwardand he wasnt expecting/ready for it, especially with Lidstrom getting older too. Lidstrom definitely did Holland a favor by sticking around longer than he planned especially after Rafalski retired early

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...-wings-needs-on-nhls-first-day-of-free-agency

"Though Lidstrom's retirement presented its own major difficulties, the decline of the Red WIngs' defense actually started with the surprise retirement of Brian Rafalski in the offseason of 2011. Rafalski had one more year on his deal worth $6 million, and general manager Ken Holland had already "penciled" Rafalski into the lineup for the next season"

https://www.nhl.com/news/commitment-to-family-leads-rafalski-to-retire/c-563767

"Needless to say, the decision caught most people by surprise -- including his agent, Bill Zito, who's represented Rafalski for his entire 15-year professional hockey career that included the first four playing in Europe after going unselected in the Entry Draft.

"When he told me, I was like, 'What?'" Zito told NHL.com on Wednesday by phone. "It's ingrained. The NHL is a privilege. You play as long as you can play. It's just a wonderful experience and you get all of it that you can get. You look at his points-per-game this season and he was still among the best in the game. So in that regard, it was a big surprise. Then you talk to him for even a few minutes and it all just makes sense."

As he did at the podium on Wednesday, Rafalski explained to Zito and Holland his rationale earlier this week."

He burned Holland in the sense that he left him hanging for the upcoming season kind of out of the blue

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Wouldn't offer the first along with Fayne but Green would solve a lot of Edmonton's problems and would provide some immediate cap relief for Detroit. Fayne + Yakupov with some retention make any sense?
The whole god damn premise of this thread is getting Detroit under the cap. 3.625 + 2.5 - 6= +.125
So even with "some retention" how exactly would this help Detroit when they have to shave off 4+ million?

I would offer the Oilers 2017 1st(unprotected) for 2 years of Mike Green.

Detroit fans won't like it because there defense is in bad shape right now.
Edmonton fans won't like it because they are infatuated with 1st round picks.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
The whole god damn premise of this thread is getting Detroit under the cap. 3.625 + 2.5 - 6= +.125
So even with "some retention" how exactly would this help Detroit when they have to shave off 4+ million?

I would offer the Oilers 2017 1st(unprotected) for 2 years of Mike Green.

Detroit fans won't like it because there defense is in bad shape right now.
Edmonton fans won't like it because they are infatuated with 1st round picks.

Actually we would like it because most Detroit fans believe the team needs burning down, and another off-season of veteran sticking plasters just to remain a bubble team that gets burned in the 1st round is not what we needed.

Green is a rare gleam of light on an insipid blue line, on an average team trending downwards. If Mrazek gets injured, we're likely to be sellers at the deadline anyway...

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Actually we would like it because most Detroit fans believe the team needs burning down, and another off-season of veteran sticking plasters just to remain a bubble team that gets burned in the 1st round is not what we needed.

Green is a rare gleam of light on an insipid blue line, on an average team trending downwards. If Mrazek gets injured, we're likely to be sellers at the deadline anyway...
Even if he doesn't you have to count on Montreal being a much improved team if Price stays healthy and I actually think in the short term they are better off with Weber.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They will either do the cap dances that Boston and Philly have done or LTIR before the season damaging their flexibility in season. They aren't all that concerned about their cap issue which should be kind of telling in terms of everyone hoping they will do something stupid.

As for next summer, I would put my second round pick to Vegas for future considerations to draft one of Ericsson or Howard in the expansion draft. Really that simple, we want at least one of them gone and should incentivize Vegas to do that.

Some teams are going to make good use of that in my opinion. Vegas if you select x we will give you this. I hope the Wings are heavily thinking about this approach.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
They will either do the cap dances that Boston and Philly have done or LTIR before the season damaging their flexibility in season. They aren't all that concerned about their cap issue which should be kind of telling in terms of everyone hoping they will do something stupid.

As for next summer, I would put my second round pick to Vegas for future considerations to draft one of Ericsson or Howard in the expansion draft. Really that simple, we want at least one of them gone and should incentivize Vegas to do that.

Some teams are going to make good use of that in my opinion. Vegas if you select x we will give you this. I hope the Wings are heavily thinking about this approach.
I believe the league has talked about implementing rules against this sort of thing. We'll have to see as not even the GM's know exactly how its going to work and probably wont know until around January

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad