Speculation: What will the Wings do??

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

member 157595

4,9M$ over the cap. 15 forwards, 6 Dmen, 2 goalies.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/detroit-red-wings

Roster is pretty set but they need to shed salary.

What will they do??

Can they trade Howard without getting salary back??

They also need a top 4 LHD. Who would be the best bait?? Nyquist or Tatar??

I can't answer the rest of the questions but I can guarantee you that absolutely no current (LV TBD) NHL team is going to take Howard without sending salary back.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I can't answer the rest of the questions but I can guarantee you that absolutely no current (LV TBD) NHL team is going to take Howard without sending salary back.

I agree but we've seen weirder things happening. As for Vegas, off course the problem would be solve for 2017-2018 season but the problem is for upcoming's.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't go by General Fanger they still show AA on the team and both AA and Mantha have been sent to the minors. So in reality Detroit is $4.2 million over the cap and they need to get cap compliant before the start of the season. Unfortunately we're stuck with Howard for another season. And with Kronwall and Ericsson hurting i doubt that we move a D-man thought that Smith could be used for trade bait. But we can't afford to trade any D right now. Not really sure what Holland will do to get cap compliant will be interesting on how he's going to shed $4.2 million in the next few weeks. Could see maybe Jurco or Pulkkinen going on waivers when healthy doubt that they've a future with the club.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

What will they do??

They already are and do not count on cap.

Check your Math. The number you are citing 100% includes the salaries of Vitale and Franzen.

member 157595

I agree but we've seen weirder things happening. As for Vegas, off course the problem would be solve for 2017-2018 season but the problem is for upcoming's.

What team has a need for a mediocre $5M/year goalie? He's not even the best goaltender on the Red Wings and he's paid starter's money for a few more years I think. He probably has negative value and there's simply no way that a team takes Howard without sending salary back in the current economic climate.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
True but Detroit still has to be cap compliant, Before they can go on LTIR. So we still have to shed around $4.2 million before we can put players on LTIR so i think that Holland will still have to make a trade. And Smith would be the perfect candidate.

Thanks.

Just got the same info on the Pens thread.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What Holland was thinking by signing Vanek??

I think the Vanek signing had a lot to do with the John Trochetti signing, Trochetti originally being the PP Coach with the Wild and knowing what Vanek brings pretty sure that Trochetti had something to do with Vanek coming. And it's only for 1 year though i would still rather have either AA or Mantha in the lineup plus would be much cheaper.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I really thought they were going to buy out Howard when Mrazek was headed to arbitration as they would have a 2nd window open up because of it. Doesn't matter now.

But I think we went through this whole player on the LTIR before the season thing with Pronger. It alters how a team spends the replacement dollars only. But I'm pretty sure they can put Franzen on LTIR and be okay.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

What will they do??

For the 15 forwards, they'll be set with the list at General Fanager since Pulkkinen will start on IR/LTIR until sometime in November recovering from his shoulder surgery. AA can still go down to GR without waivers, but I'll be surprised if he ever goes down since it's the Red Wings we're talking about here, so I'm sure someone else will be on IR when Pulkkinen is back.

As for the 6 Dmen, Ouellet, Sproul and Jensen will most likely battle for Kindl's old spot in the pressbox as #7, with Ouellet probably having the edge, followed by Sproul. Maybe two start the season on the big club if Kronwall isn't ready or someone else is hurt.

As for Howard, I don't see him having any value above being a swap for some other teams unwanted salary. Even if a team ends up actively shopping for a goalie, Howard will likely be at the bottom of the list. You have the Pens and Lightning who need to figure out their goaltending before the expansion, the Flyers with two heading for UFA status and Dallas who I'm sure would love to unload one of their equally overpaid former starters, both of whom come with one year less term than Howard. The only thing the Wings can hope for is that Howard has some resurgence with the new goalie coach and becomes an easy pick for Vegas. Even then, I'm sure Holland could work a deal with Vegas where they get one of the Wings extra forwards (Jurco/Pulkkinen?) if they take Howard in the expansion draft.

As far as a top4 dman, they'll probably need to part with more than Tatar or Nyquist. If it took Taylor Hall to get Larsson, the Wings will likely have to pay a steep price for Fowler or Shattenkirk. I would think AA and other top prospects are what the Ducks or Blues would be after. Then, Holland would have to figure out how to clear space to give either one the impending raise they'll need after this coming or the following season. At this point, Holland is probably already praying that Burns or Shattenkirk hit the UFA market next summer, where he can make a play the only way he knows how...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad