Speculation: What was this Teams biggest mistake?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Knies Matthews Jarnkrok
McMann Tavares Nylander
Robbie Domi Marner
Cowan/Holmberg Kampf Reaves

Marner can show us how much he deserves $12.5m by playing without a unicorn at C.

Last time he did that, wasn't he putting up ~94 points?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Knies Matthews Jarnkrok
McMann Tavares Nylander
Robbie Domi Marner
Cowan/Holmberg Kampf Reaves

Marner can show us how much he deserves $12.5m by playing without a unicorn at C.

Need a playmaking winger with Matthews one way or another or you’re not playing to his strengths. If it’s not Marner, then it should be Domi. We really need to acquire a proper 3C

Reactions: ToneDog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Besides does anyone believe any current GM would offer 4 X 1st round picks for Marner today in trade
Today? Unlikely, because the number of prime years remaining is much lower.
To acquire a 21 year old trending as one of the best players in cap era history? Absolutely. It's been done for much worse players before.
But of course, four 1st round picks wouldn't have been necessary to cause issues when it came to Marner or Nylander anyway.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Last time he did that, wasn't he putting up ~94 points?
Needs to do it again and even then needs to show something in the playoffs before I hand him 12.5m. It's the Leafs so I already know Tavares coming off the books is the next excuse for running it back in 2025 /26.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Needs to do it again and even then needs to show something in the playoffs before I hand him 12.5m. It's the Leafs so I already know Tavares coming off the books is the next excuse for running it back in 2025 /26.

94 points also needs to be asterisked. A 22 year old who puts up 94 points as Marner did in 2019 projects to be even more productive as he enters his prime. So you're paying that player to be getting incrementally better as the 6 year contract progresses. We haven't even seen that out of Marner.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I think he was overpaid the first time, and I don't disagree with the overall post, but Nylander set his floor and he will be judged on more than just a single season.

94 points also needs to be asterisked. A 22 year old who puts up 94 points as Marner did in 2019 projects to be even more productive as he enters his prime. So you're paying that player to be getting incrementally better as the 6 year contract progresses. We haven't even seen that out of Marner.

He's better, I don't think it is substantial...

We had a big issue with no one growing substantially over their contract... Marner and Matthews didn't have much room, Nylander did it for half a season last year.

We didn't have any insane value contracts like Draisaitl or MacKinnon where they were fair (Draisaitl many said was an overpayment) and then they became substantially better.

Hughes is another example where people questioned the contract.

Most teams have those contracts and it isn't due to hard negotiations, it is because players find their game after the contract.

Betting on the players can also backfire, an example is the entire Ottawa core.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The fact (that Dubas admitted) Dubas f***ed up our salaries is in tangent to him f***ing up basically everything from depth, to coaching, to deadline moves...
You are absolutely right...Dubas has even taken ownership numerous times that it's up to him to "fill around the margins". And he failed at that too. These were all band-aid moves because he literally slashed a gushing wound in the roster construction by messing up the salary structure of the team...every move has a rippling effect, and his multiple bad moves turned this team into a playoff loser. And COVID is a truly bad excuse because EVERY team was affected by COVID.

But Dubas is worse than that...I guess some folks will choose to ignore and/or forget the fact that he was building a buttery soft, cream puffy, and twinkies style team the first couple years of his Leafs GM tenure...it's as if he didn't know hockey is a contact sport, that physical intimidation and fighting are allowed...it was painful and embarrassing...the team was easy to play against and easily neutralized in the playoffs...Marchment for Malgin is a fine example...Kadri for another two smurfs is another fine example of his out-of-touch roster construction moves...these are Dubas' so-called "finding inefficiencies in the market", that any competent GM was happy to dump a Malgin for a Marchment on him. The guy is a joke, and one of the worse GMs of the Leafs considering what he inherited.

Last edited:
Reactions: eddieO

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Dubas is an all-time terrible GM but he was hired by Shanny and could have been fired by Shanny. Shanahan is the root of all the Leafs problems. And unlike Dubas, he's still doing damage to this team to this very day.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Marner was 21 in 2018-2019, and has since added 0.1-0.2 P/GP to his production while facing tougher matchups, improving defensively, and improving on the PK. Obviously, there is less room for improvement compared to somebody who hadn't already broken out, but he has still improved and outperformed his contract. Unfortunately, some questionable non-lottery drafting through the end of our rebuild and beginning of this era, and some questionable management decisions through the first couple years of this era kind of wasted the increased surplus value we got through their ELCs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner was 21 in 2018-2019, and has since added 0.1-0.2 P/GP to his production while facing tougher matchups, improving defensively, and improving on the PK. Obviously, there is less room for improvement compared to somebody who hadn't already broken out, but he has still improved and outperformed his contract. Unfortunately, some questionable non-lottery drafting through the end of our rebuild and beginning of this era, and some questionable management decisions through the first couple years of this era kind of wasted the increased surplus value we got through their ELCs.

Compared to wingers making over a million less than him in Rantanen, Kucherov, M. Tkachuk, Pastrnak before this season, no, Marner has not outperformed his contract.

His PPG average this year is 11th. He’s not even top 10 when talking about bread and butter.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You are absolutely right...Dubas has even taken ownership numerous times that it's up to him to "fill around the margins". And he failed at that too. These were all band-aid moves because he literally slashed a gushing wound in the roster construction by messing up the salary structure of the team...every move has a rippling effect, and his multiple bad moves turned this team into a playoff loser. And COVID is a truly bad excuse because EVERY team was affected by COVID.

But Dubas is worse than that...I guess some folks will choose to ignore and/or forget the fact that he was building a buttery soft, cream puffy, and twinkies style team the first couple years of his Leafs GM tenure...it's as if he didn't know hockey is a contact sport, that physical intimidation and fighting are allowed...it was painful and embarrassing...the team was easy to play against and easily neutralized in the playoffs...Marchment for Malgin is a fine example...Kadri for another two smurfs is another fine example of his out-of-touch roster construction moves...these are Dubas' so-called "finding inefficiencies in the market", that any competent GM was happy to dump a Malgin for a Marchment on him. The guy is a joke, and one of the worse GMs of the Leafs considering what he inherited.

Dubas overstocking on the small marginal skill was always so infuriating to me. I would have been curious to hear the pro scouting meetings about guys like Petan and Malgin and actually figure out what they wanted from these guys best case scenario, likely scenario, worst case scenario.

Reactions: Superstar

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Outperformed his contract is hilarious. No disrespect intended but your punking us right?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Compared to wingers making over a million less than him in Rantanen, Kucherov, M. Tkachuk, Pastrnak before this season, no, Marner has not outperformed his contract.

His PPG average this year is 11th. He’s not even top 10 when talking about bread and butter.

Do you mind ranking them on the defensive side of the game as well?

Marner is overpaid, yes.

Dubas overstocking on the small marginal skill was always so infuriating to me. I would have been curious to hear the pro scouting meetings about guys like Petan and Malgin and actually figure out what they wanted from these guys best case scenario, likely scenario, worst case scenario.

Probably

"We can get someone like Reaves who costs more and contributes nothing to the team while being a liability, or we can sign someone who is smaller but is good at hockey, what are everyone's thoughts?"

I think the upside on these players (both young enough), was fine to take a shot on.

Malgin was good in Colorado too.

He was also good here, just couldn't finish.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Do you mind ranking them on the defensive side of the game as well?

Marner is overpaid, yes.

Probably

"We can get someone like Reaves who costs more and contributes nothing to the team while being a liability, or we can sign someone who is smaller but is good at hockey, what are everyone's thoughts?"

I think the upside on these players (both young enough), was fine to take a shot on.

Malgin was good in Colorado too.

He was also good here, just couldn't finish.

He traded Marchment for that useless plug Malgin. Everyone knew Malgin was gonna do shit but Dumbas decided we didn’t need the skill set a guy like Marchment would bring.

It was a pointless shot to take and it ended up even worse than expected. Unfortunately for us, that move pales in comparison to his even shittier transactions. The guy’s resume is such trash, that move isn’t even close to being near the top.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He traded Marchment for that useless plug Malgin. Everyone knew Malgin was gonna do shit but Dumbas decided we didn’t need the skill set a guy like Marchment would bring.

It was a pointless shot to take and it ended up even worse than expected. Unfortunately for us, that move pales in comparison to his even shittier transactions. The guy’s resume is such trash, that move isn’t even close to being near the top.

Marchment was so good when we traded him that he was immediately sent to the AHL by Florida.

After that he spent a lot of time back and forth on the taxi squad for Florida.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
lol yeah sure. He’s atrocious in the playoffs but he managed to score more goals and points than Marner.

Let me hear you tell me about GP. The fact still stands

He is Alex Kerfoot level for points... what are you talking about?

Kerfoot is more useful because he is better defensively though.

Marchment is one of the most overrated players on this board just because he is big and was traded for a small guy.

Marner is much more successful in the playoffs... I seriously have no clue what you're talking about.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
He is Alex Kerfoot level for points... what are you talking about?

Kerfoot is more useful because he is better defensively though.

Marchment is one of the most overrated players on this board just because he is big and was traded for a small guy.

Marner is much more successful in the playoffs... I seriously have no clue what you're talking about.

Yes, very successful indeed. Definitely the adjective I’d use to describe Marner in the post-season.

Marchment has been gone farther than any Dubas team so far from what I can tell.

Reactions: IPS

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yes, very successful indeed. Definitely the adjective I’d use to describe Marner in the post-season.

Marchment has been gone farther than any Dubas team so far from what I can tell.

Ah yes, the true measure of an individual player's worth is how far a team has gone...

Maroon > McDavid, everyone knows it.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad