Value of: What to do with Dmitry Orlov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He pretty much plays as a PPQB in the offensive zone at even strength. Gets the puck up high and either gets it through with his excellent shot, distributes it or gets into seams and drives the net like with that goal against LA.

If the caps didn't have a righty centric distribution scheme (RHD to OV) he'd probably be on the top unit. They'd also probably be dynamic enough for the PP not to get shut down every spring.

Just like this year in the playoffs right?

Orlov plays for the one of the few teams where he wouldn't get prime PP minutes at the point. There's more to Orlov than his offensive skill, he's a very good skater and a strong hitter. I think he can become a first pairing D if he corrects some flaws in his game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Caps aren't trading Orlov at this time. There's simply no time to replace him, nor would anything they get in the trade market be worth his upside.

Aug 10, 2015
Caps aren't trading Orlov at this time. There's simply no time to replace him, nor would anything they get in the trade market be worth his upside.

According to GeneralFanager the caps have 3.4 million in cap space so I'm assuming you believe that Orlov will sign for less than that? Or do you have some other knowledge of how they will free up the space for him?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They've had that philosophy since the rebuild and all it did was keep the team mediocre and bound to the 2nd round. Yeah lets just always lose every player we have for nothing even when it's clear they're moving on instead of trying to get assets in a league where every inch in terms of resources counts. Those pens really screwed up trading Jordan Staal, should have let him walk as a UFA a year later.

1. The Caps are not a middle of the pack team. That they lose in the second round is not reflective of the quality of their roster. They lose for other reasons.

2. I want to be clear on your position. The Caps trading a roster player for non NHL assets and diminishing the current team so as to not lose a player they cant replace for nothing, is better than keeping the good player and trying to win?

Oshie and Williams are pending UFA's. Should the Caps go ahead and trade them now because both have real trade value and may well walk for nothing.

Edit: Times change. The playoffs are not longer a bracket base on the conference is it totally changes the meaning of what round you lose in. The Caps as the 1 seed lost to the conference 2 seed.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Let's examine some apparent misconceptions that appear to be running rampant in this thread, or at least my reading of it.

1. The Caps and Orlov are at an (assumedly) unfriendly impasse in contract negotiations.

I'm sorry, I see scant evidence for this. Yes he's without contract, true. But all reports are that the two sides are working amicably and expect to get a deal done. If things were as bleak as some posters appear to be hoping (or dreading, not really sure from my vantage point) I doubt Orlov would have forfeited his arbitration right.

2. The Caps will be intent to lose Orlov for nothing.

Correlary to point 1, I dont see the evidence of this. I think McLellan wants to lock Orlov up to reasonable term (2-3yrs) and reasonable compensation (around Alzner $). This second point may be the sticking point but I'm guessing it gets worked out.

3. The Caps would be willing to attach Orlov to Orpik for minimal return on either player.

Nothing about how the Caps have handled Orpik from Day 1 suggests this to be true. In the minds of fan? Certainly. In the eyes of management, I highly doubt it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps are going to protect 3 d. Carlson, Alzner and Niskanen. If McPhee takes Orlov in the expansion draft, he would be lost for nothing. I think that is what they are talking about.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The Caps are going to protect 3 d. Carlson, Alzner and Niskanen. If McPhee takes Orlov in the expansion draft, he would be lost for nothing. I think that is what they are talking about.

I'm sorry. I should have clarified. I think losing Orlov or Mojo in expansion is different than losing them for nothing, as it, in fact, allows other players to remain protected. If he is picked, I fully expect Orlov to surprise the current contingent of Caps fans dead set on trading him. Regardless, some fans will be nonplussed at management for the drop in play of the D if Orlov is replaced long-term by the likes of Chorney or Stanton, in terms of both offense and defense.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The only deal that makes sense for Washington would be if they went all-in on a guy like Hampus Lindholm, but even then Anaheim would have to take salary back (like Orpik and/or Winnik) because Washington couldn't fit Lindholm under the cap. I just can't see that happening (Orlov + Orpik + pick(s)/prospect(s) <---> Lindholm).

It doesn't make sense for the Capitals to trade Orlov for spare parts or draft picks when their time to win is now, so the best course of action is to re-sign him and see how he does. If he doesn't improve then you will probably see him unprotected in the draft. If he improves greatly, then the Capitals have some decisions to make including possibly even protecting 4 defensemen.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
I would trade Orlov+ for Shattenkirk. St. Louis would have to take on some modest salary probably to make it work. (obviously not sure if St. Louis would want to do this) Or some other top 4 D if one was available.

Otherwise, I would try to sign him for like $2.75 million for 2 years.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I would trade Orlov+ for Shattenkirk. St. Louis would have to take on some modest salary probably to make it work. (obviously not sure if St. Louis would want to do this) Or some other top 4 D if one was available.

Otherwise, I would try to sign him for like $2.75 million for 2 years.

The Capitals have Carlson and Niskanen as their top 2 RD. Shattenkirk would be on the third pairing and the Capitals would be even thinner at LD. Shattenkirk isn't really an option for Washington.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Why Alzner. If Alzner likes to be a Caps he would sign after expansion.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

The Caps are trying to win now. A guy who's having serious trouble cracking Edm's D is not going to address that. I'm also of the opinion that the plus would be bigger than you'd like.

Chorney also couldn't crack the oilers roster, not Reinhart's fault EDM's left D depth chart is 13 miles long and RD holds 2

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Chorney also couldn't crack the oilers roster[/B], not Reinhart's fault EDM's left D depth chart is 13 miles long and RD holds 2

Feel free to re-post this when I propose Chorney for Reinhart. I'm not really surprised the Caps 7th D couldn't crack the Oilers roster but I'd bet he could replace anyone in your bottom pair and your team wouldn't do any worse than a Bottom-4 finish. The Caps have 6 Dmen that comfortably belong in an NHL Top 6, the Oilers have, at most, 4.
As or right now, I'd trust Chorney more at the NHL level than Reinhart. Reinhart is practically useless to the Caps and we also could not protect him in expansion, why give up the better player who actually helps us win now. The bottom line is Orlov would fit in the Oilers Top 4, Reinhart would fit in the AHL on either team. Thats more a statement on the current development and ability of those two players than either respective D core.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
The Rangers will take him

And put him where?

He's worse defensively than McD, Staal, Skjei, and Holden.

At 23 Orlov put up 11 pts in 54 games and Clendening put up 6 in 20 games. They're both poor in their own end but Clendening is 2 years younger, carries a minimal cap hit and has a RH stick.

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
And put him where?

He's worse defensively than McD, Staal, Skjei, and Holden.

At 23 Orlov put up 11 pts in 54 games and Clendening put up 10 in 20 games. They're both poor in their own end but Clendening is 2 years younger, carries a minimal cap hit and has a RH stick.

Well that's news to........everyone. Also despite being left-handed Orlov plays the right side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad