What The Hell Has Happened To The Florida Panthers?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Please post where I said this.

I said they lost multiple forwards, already had one out until half way through the season, and have currently dealt with injuries to their two most important forwards.

So to you they are playing well outside the injuries and coaches have zero meaning right?

Tkachuk has played 32 games out of 35.
It’s not like he has missed major time

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Great player, but Tkachuk seems like one of those ultra cocky team cancers, where teammates appreciate his skill but can barely stand working alongside the guy. Plus they lost a fair bit of talent that was obviously a good fit for them. Similar thing happened to my Canucks after losing Tanev/Markstrom/Toffoli/Stecher in one offseason... it upset the lockeroom and set the team back bigtime. Fast forward a few years, and they still haven't recovered from it.
Except all the Panthers love Tkachuk. He's the only one trying to hold the team accountable right now, he's a great leader.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I knew they were inconsistent but I didn't figure they'd be 8 points out of a spit. I bet they could still climb back. They are just too good on paper, even with a step back from last year

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Flames, Florida same story. A good trade doesn't make a good team. Gotta get the boys to jive.
Funny thing is they’re two of the best 5 on 5 teams in the league when you look at advanced stats. It just hasn’t really translated for either team.

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Lol don't flatter yourself. The main problems are Barkov is having an off year(mainly due to a child custody battle), and Bob started off cold. Panthers are top 5 in xGF%, they are just missing that extra bit of offense that. Barkov could have provided.

Gets swept by Tampa and immediately falls apart? Yeah Tampa broke them, easier to miss the playoffs than to lose 3 times in row to the same team. Like I've said many times, 2021 should've been a sweep too, Panthers got pretty lucky.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hired one of the league’s most constantly recycled retread coaches of the last almost 30 years.

They barely score any of those rush goals anymore.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Gets swept by Tampa and immediately falls apart? Yeah Tampa broke them, easier to miss the playoffs than to lose 3 times in row to the same team. Like I've said many times, 2021 should've been a sweep too, Panthers got pretty lucky.
Did you just completely ignore my post? There are reasons they are underperforming this season, not because they got swept by Tampa lol. And as I said, they are top 5 in xGF%. They were playing pretty well for awhile with the best 5v5 stats in the league. It just hasn't translated into wins. And no 2021 should not have been a sweep. In fact the Panthers had game 1 in the bag and gifted Tampa a win due to a Weegar gaffe.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I'm more surprised that people didn't see this coming. Traded away all their futures, lost a shit ton of core pieces and depth guys. Said it at the start of the year, they are done for the next 2-3 years. They don't have any assets available to add to this core, and the current group isn't good enough to be a contender. They went all in and failed, no 1st til 2026. Their 1st this year might be Bedard, could end up being the worst trade in NHL history, no exaggeration.

Zito should've been fired in the off-season. Paid a premium for Giroux, Chiarot (lol) both walked in FA. Marchment gone, got absolutely bent over on the Huberdeau deal. Traded an elite winger + top pair D, + , for Tkachuk.

No, Zito should not have been fired. And if you think he got bent over in the Huberdeau deal, that shows you how much you know about the Panthers and hockey in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panteras

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Next season they will be a lot better. Nearly 10M to upgrade the blueline, and Barkov hopefully returns to his normal self.
And there will be a better coach

Funny thing is they’re two of the best 5 on 5 teams in the league when you look at advanced stats. It just hasn’t really translated for either team.
Tells you all ya need to know about advanced stats

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Florida Panthers 4th best scorer from last year has yet to play a game this year.

Weegar was the Panthers 2nd most used defenseman and is no longer in Florida.

Mason Marchment who was a top nine
guy in Florida is now in Dallas.

Vatrano was replaced with Giroux in season last year but neither of those two were resigned.

Watch other teams if you want to comment on them.

Let’s see what it looks like when the season ends.
It's a good snap shot.
This team is done....won't make play offs.
Barely ahead of tank teams .
Collapse with a capital C

Jets .... er uh .....I mean Panthers "need a new voice"

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Hired one of the league’s most constantly recycled retread coaches of the last almost 30 years.

They barely score any of those rush goals anymore.
Basing your offense on scoring rush goals by cheating up the ice isn't a reliable way to win in the playoffs either. They were never anywhere near as good as their record last year.

Reactions: Hoek

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
lost their best defenseman. that blueline is garbage and not like they have a goalie so it's not all that unexpected that they suck

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Last season they had a stellar regular season record and were the highest-scoring team in decades. Now they're under .500 heading into Christmas.

Yes, they lost Huberdeau, but they acquired Tkachuk and he's been better this season (although probably not as good as Huberdeau was last season). They've also lost Weegar and Marchment. I don't think these subtractions alone explain their immense drop-off, however.

What's wrong?

Their depth was gutted by free agency and injury and that was before Ekblad recently went down.

It's fine to lose Marchment to free agency but you have to replace him, they didn't.

It's fine to lose Giroux to free agency but you have to replace him they didn't.

Duclair goes down until January/Febuary? Alright Who replaces him?

You want to trade Huberdeau for Tkachuk? That's fine, that might even be the right call, you don't throw in a top pair D with him.

Florida had a great team and just like the Lakers after they won their most recent championship.

Or the Marlins after both world series, the Florida Panthers decided to make stupid decsions and tear their team apart.

The difference is The Lakers and Marlins won before they tore it down.

Florida can't even tear it down If they wanted too because If they do good chance Montreal gets Bedard.

Said it last summer and got laughed at, NOBODY had a worse off season than Florida

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Hired a horrible coach and their defense/goaltending sucks. But they are better than their record shows - one of the better five on five teams xgf in the league.

Still don't understand why they fired a young coach who took them to a president's trophy.

They overreacted to getting swept by Tampa. Not sure if it’s management or ownership (or both), but someone pressed the panic button too early.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
They already weren’t a great defensive team last year and had to keep overcoming deficits even in winning the presidents trophy. They lost one of their best defensemen and multiple depth guys

What is Paul Maurice system? The last one was essentially run and gun, but if that’s changed then it can compound losing offensive depth

They overreacted to getting swept by Tampa. Not sure if it’s management or ownership (or both), but someone pressed the panic button too early.
Reminds me of when they fired Gallant

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You want to trade Huberdeau for Tkachuk? That's fine, that might even be the right call, you don't throw in a top pair D with him.

If Tkachuk is getting $9.5m this year, what's the alternative? Huberdeau and Weegar take up just about that much. And in the long run, Tkachuk is the better investment than Huberdeau and Weegar.

Lose a lot of depth due to free agency/trades and injury, while also obviously and forever being stuck with the Bob contract, and things won't always work. It's amazing they even had last year though. Did anyone in their right mind have Reinhart as an 80pt player? Of course not.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
I don’t follow them but i heard Tkachuk his playing with Barkov ? Of course they are gonna regress in term of scoring

Unless i’m wrong Huberdeau played with Bennett at C while Barkov played with Reinhart last years, Bennett the last time i look at his stats i noticed a drop in his points per game, Reinhart also etc…

They have Brobovsky and a shaky D with an injury prone as no.1

Personally I’m not really surprised to see them where they are

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
- Fired Brunette only to replace him with Maurice.
- Losing Huberdeau, Weegar and Marchmant is a big blow to their depth.
- Gave up Tippett and a 1st for Giroux and Chiarot (he's awful) who are both gone.
- Barkov has been hurt and doesn't seem to have the same chemistry with Tkachuk as Hubby.

I saw them regressing for sure. Last year's offensive surge didn't seem sustainable with this year's roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad