What Roster changes do you make if Marner doesn't waive?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And just to be clear suggesting they sit Marner until he waives is not a valid answer because not a single NHL team would do that to a guy that can put up 90+ points.

So lets say he's he says no which is his contractual right what roster moves would you make?

Me, regardless f if he waives or not, I'm looking at moving Kampf and Jarnkork, I like both, but I think we can do better.

I'm also going after Pesce and either Zadorov or Tanev.

Up front my targets are Viktor Arvidson and Dakota Joshua.

In net I'm targeting every available goalie on the trade market Gibson, Merzlikns, Saros, Markstrom, all of them, everybody.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Take Marner off PP1. I watched the Avs PP last night and they only use one PP QB (Makar). We use two QBs who are not a threat to shoot the puck.

Move Kampf and Jarnkrok (both not very good past game 82)..

Kampf and Jarnkrok are nice versatile players, but yeah if you have the opportunity to put another couple of guys in that role, either more nasty defensively or a speedier forward with a little scoring pop you add more juice to the team. Gotta move away from that vanilla taste.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think you still need to go out and acquire a defenceman with a shot. Not sure if Theodore would be attainable without moving Marner but if somehow there is a chance I’d run,

PP1
Bertuzzi
Nylander - Domi - Matthews
Theodore (or another dman with a shot)

PP2
Tavares
Knies - Jarnkrok - Marner
Rielly

Create a little internal competition.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Goalie has got to be good enough no matter who's in front of him or on the bench. Find a goalie for 2 years to 1B with Woll who can take the number 1 spot if Woll falters. Trust Woll, give him a good opportunity. Build a structure and D-core that will help him out. Understand that helping him succeed is the best way to have the team go far.

Trading Marner has to help build the strongest possible d-core or goalie room. If it doesn't do that there's no point in asking him to waive.

I believe when guys are able to play up in the lineup it strengthens the whole team (Kunitz and that other guy with Crosby, Hyman with McDavid). Embrace that Domi looked great next to Matthews and allowed Marner/Nylander to be a difference maker on a separate line. Jarnkrok showed flashes of this a few seasons ago but Keefe was too eager (maybe felt pressure idk) to 'have the positional hierarchy copacetic' (that's in quotes so people might think its someone elses strange way of talking and not my own).

I would at least try Robertson up with Matthews, I don't think he's a first line player but his dangerous willingness to shoot could keep defenders honest about coverage. I'm a 'give a guy an opportunity' type mindset.

Anyways I don't have names or proposals. I just believe in this process/ideology as being an effecting way to build going forward.

Domi - Matthews - Robertson
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - Cowen - Marner
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Reeves

With the players we have signed/Rfa I would come out of training camp like that. Too many questions on D and in net to project the lines. Obviously it all depends on chemistry and I wouldn't be hard-headed. I'll probably change my thoughts as soon as FA rolls around.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Would love to see the injection of 2-3 forwards who are fast and relentless on the forecheck. If they're pricks too, all the better! Anybody like that out there?

Reactions: Anthrax442

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I try to create cap by trading Tavares to Carolina after the bonus is paid.
Assuming this means we are keeping the core. Including Tavares.

I would move on from Jarnkrok. Kampf. Lilly to try to get 2025 picks. Then fill out the rosters

we actually have plenty of cap. I used players as an example. We can easily spend 11 on 2 top 4 D. Get a tandem goalie and get a middle 6 C for 5.5. The players are just exemplars. If you want Pesce/demelo/Tanev instead of Roy that’s fine too.

IMG_0875.jpeg

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Goalie has got to be good enough no matter who's in front of him or on the bench. Find a goalie for 2 years to 1B with Woll who can take the number 1 spot if Woll falters. Trust Woll, give him a good opportunity. Build a structure and D-core that will help him out. Understand that helping him succeed is the best way to have the team go far.

Trading Marner has to help build the strongest possible d-core or goalie room. If it doesn't do that there's no point in asking him to waive.

I believe when guys are able to play up in the lineup it strengthens the whole team (Kunitz and that other guy with Crosby, Hyman with McDavid). Embrace that Domi looked great next to Matthews and allowed Marner/Nylander to be a difference maker on a separate line. Jarnkrok showed flashes of this a few seasons ago but Keefe was too eager (maybe felt pressure idk) to 'have the positional hierarchy copacetic' (that's in quotes so people might think its someone elses strange way of talking and not my own).

I would at least try Robertson up with Matthews, I don't think he's a first line player but his dangerous willingness to shoot could keep defenders honest about coverage. I'm a 'give a guy an opportunity' type mindset.

Anyways I don't have names or proposals. I just believe in this process/ideology as being an effecting way to build going forward.

Domi - Matthews - Robertson
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - Cowen - Marner
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Reeves

With the players we have signed/Rfa I would come out of training camp like that. Too many questions on D and in net to project the lines. Obviously it all depends on chemistry and I wouldn't be hard-headed. I'll probably change my thoughts as soon as FA rolls around.

I'm not convinced Robertson is going to be here, he feels like a guy that could be traded

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
If the game plan is just run it back with the core 4 again you've already destroyed a good portion of this fan bases' interest for next season.
Honestly........I don't want to see that roster next year forward group needs to change and you won't get edmundson at that number and you can't pair him with Benoit

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
And just to be clear suggesting they sit Marner until he waives is not a valid answer because not a single NHL team would do that to a guy that can put up 90+ points.

If we aren't allowed to sit him, can we send him to the AHL then?

Make minny mouse ride the bus.

If the game plan is just run it back with the core 4 again you've already destroyed a good portion of this fan bases' interest for next season.
that was done years ago.

just the hf'ers don't see it. (at least not all)

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kampf and Jarnkrok are nice versatile players, but yeah if you have the opportunity to put another couple of guys in that role, either more nasty defensively or a speedier forward with a little scoring pop you add more juice to the team. Gotta move away from that vanilla taste.
PP is a disaster. Hard to argue any changes would be bad.

Reactions: Kazparov

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017
If Marner or Tavares doesn’t waive all we can do is run it back again with various bargain bi supporting players. As fans we can just sit back and blow off another year of failure.
It's hard to imagine when everyone finds out either player declines and/or waits until their contract is over.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
It's actually so easy to fix our PP.

Staple Nylander to the left wing, and Matthews to the right. Have Bertuzzi-esque player sit in front of the net. Get a puck shooting D that isn't Rielly. Hell the PP looked good with Lilly.

The 5th slot can be filled by someone who can shoot. Maybe Knies or Domi.

Stop the drop passes, they literally waste 20 seconds per powerplay. Where's the time urgency???

There's also a big philosophical issue with our team, which is we're always looking to get the most effective shot, when we should be taking good enough shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad