What makes you hate/dislike a team?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
1) the ignorance of the fan base - Oilers always whining about refs. I can't watch hockey with some of my friends who are Oilers fans. Their take on the game is skewed. I don't understand their mentality.
2) dirty players - Draisaitl. If Tkachuk lays out Kassian he has to step up and fight the player. Drai sticks a guy in the balls or lays an elbow to this chin, "oh he is a superstar, he shouldn't have to defend himself.". So Tkachuk does, but Drai doesn't.....see point number one.
3) simple rivalry.
As an Oiler fan I have to agree a bit there about the ref whining. All teams do it but I have seen in our own threads that a huge proportion of posts are about reffing and conspiracy against Edmonton or Canada or pro sunbelt or whatever. I don't see it, and when there are bad games from refs I see logical reasons for it and I try to limit my complaining to in the moment for the most part. There are times when things go our way even when they shouldn't too

But I don't see how that should be that huge a deal. Also there are tons of anti Oiler posters who make claims like that McDavid is a diver or embellisher. That's obnoxious and false. It's not that he never sells a call but if he made it a habit he'd be flopping every other shift because the amount of little slashes and holds on him is never ending.

But ultimately just like the Leafs, the Oilers have a large online fanbase so there's going to be lots of every type of fan. There will be ones you don't like and it can be hard not to notice them, especially if they are the type to want to stir crap online

Reactions: The Management

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I guess if you are an easily triggered softie, sure.

It’s incredible that another team’s fanbase could remotely have any affect on the enjoyment of the sport of hockey. One would have to be unbelievably weak willed to have that be a catalyst for anything.
No one stated it affects anyone’s enjoyment.

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I was thinking, I don't hate Florida. No reason to. I'm starting to hate Edmonton. The constant fawning over McDavid, and it seems like every other thread is a 'Is McDavid good?', obsessive validation thread.

What makes you hate teams?
Usually their fans... especially if those fans are also national media

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I hate actors in the league. I get embellishment, refs don't give you calls unless you "show" them. But pretending you are hurt, you're a hoser dude

Players that act tough when they are turtles
Players that act like they are hurt every time they get hit or tripped

Hoser teams bug me.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I don't "hate" any teams.

There are certainly teams I prefer would lose though. Mainly because of a few dirty players and/or the fans.

As a Chicago fan, I was happy for the Blues fans when they finally won the cup in 2019.
That's enough though. No more please.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Fans of teams is near the top.

Dirty players and dirty players who have done something to my team.

Then we got rivalries with certain teams

Usually those are the 3.

So Edmonton - the fans are awesome to there team but to everyone else not so much

Then we have the Rangers who employ Trouba.

Washington Capitals rivalry but also F Tom Wilson.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I was thinking, I don't hate Florida. No reason to. I'm starting to hate Edmonton. The constant fawning over McDavid, and it seems like every other thread is a 'Is McDavid good?', obsessive validation thread.

I hate when fans of teams constantly complain about the Oilers (or other teams) fans being fanatical/ defensive/ over inflating a player, and then proceed to use hypocritical taunting/ trolling immediately in response.

(Not talking about you!) Just in general.

I don’t hate the other fan bases though. On HF you could hate every fan base with the posters who choose to ruin reputations of teams fan bases.

I guess I hate pointed aggressive commenters who think their opinions are objective?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
1. Be the Rangers
2. Act like your team is some holier then thou organization when they’ve only won one cup since Pearl Harbor
3. Crawl into a hole once your team loses and reemerge as a super fan when the playoffs are close again

Somewhere on here once said Rangers fans have Yankee fan arrogance but with the Mets success :laugh:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Somewhere on here once said Rangers fans have Yankee fan arrogance but with the Mets success :laugh:
It’s more like Cow(boys/girls) arrogance with Cleveland Browns success. If you want to go local, they’re like Jets fans.

• Haha
Reactions: Voight

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
What makes me hate a team:
  • Having a coach rape a player, highest levels of the organization cover it up and then not get disciplined for their actions. Then, the draft pick they should've been required to forfeit turns into a 1OA, generational, talent.
  • Purchasing and turning off Capfriendly.
  • Overpaying a fwd with a $10.9m cap hit, fanbase begins to hate on him and then make absurd offers to fix their problem.
  • A team with a fanbase who criticize another market for perceived lack of support, wishes for them to lose their team and then drops to the bottom of the NHL in attendance.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017

In the context of fandom, I hate every team except my own.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
whoever my team is facing rn, ill find a reason to be annoyed about anything they do

Also whatever team is just ridiculously good for such a long time, hated the pens for a while, didnt mind lightning winning though cause still a fl team and always picked them on the xbox to play as for their logo.
Vegas i liked cause theyre basically UCF colors/name, but dealing with their fans made me absolutely hate them more than losing to them. Knights fans on here has been great though.

On an opposite note i find it hard to hate the Leafs, Jets, Avs, 'Nucks and the Canes
Leaf fans can get a lil bit annoying, but theres a few good posters here that even it out for me, but it might just be stockholm syndrome from being a cowboys fan

Reactions: The Management

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4