What is your solution to the Pre-season problem?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think the best solution is hit them in the pocketbooks. Any sort of play that is fine-worthy or suspension worthy not only dings that player, but results in an automatic fine for the team and coach.

This should also reduce retaliatory hits, whether it’s a player taking matters into their own hands or coaches’ orders.

I dont know how much this works, but the fines would definitely need to be upped. I have friends that make enough money that their speeding tickets are just simply part of their budget. I keep reading about some countries make their fines proportional, base on the offenders' salary. They figure the person may actually stop speeding if the fine is 14 000$ instead of 100$.

Maybe this is what is needed here - it may change the decision-making from "i have to protect my teammates" to "doing this will take away from my family". Of course, id be weary of deals from teams to circumvent that - say by offering to pay all fines in return for the player to play for the team.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I dont know how much this works, but the fines would definitely need to be upped. I have friends that make enough money that their speeding tickets are just simply part of their budget. I keep reading about some countries make their fines proportional, base on the offenders' salary. They figure the person may actually stop speeding if the fine is 14 000$ instead of 100$.

Maybe this is what is needed here - it may change the decision-making from "i have to protect my teammates" to "doing this will take away from my family". Of course, id be weary of deals from teams to circumvent that - say by offering to pay all fines in return for the player to play for the team.

The last part was why I suggested fining the team and coach, but yeah, how the fee structure is going to work I got no idea.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’d keep the same number of pre-season games and not mess with the long established 82-game regular season standard.

However, I would not have have NHL teams face each other in the pre-season but only play teams from a foreign league that are of a calibre that is closest to NHL teams.

Last edited:

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
There's a lot of talk in my office, on the radio, on podcasts and most medias about the Preseason problem;

How do you protect your NHL players from injuries and/or cheap shots?

There was a lot of options that people offered but none really stuck with me as a real solution that would benefit the NHL as a whole except maybe two of them but they come with their own problem too.

1st option that made some kind of sense ;
  • Minimum of 6 games total.​
  • Minimum of 4 games where teams have full control of who they play, at their own risk. The AWAY team must send their line-up first since they are most likely the one to send a C or B club with a bunch of scrubs trying to make a name for themselves.​
  • The last 2 pre-season games, you must have your full roster and be cap compliant. Just like the Regular season.​

2nd option ;
  • Keep the current format.​
  • If there's a player (that doesn't make the official roster) that receives a suspension for a cheapshot, the opposing team can choose which player has to serve the suspension.​
  • All suspensions shall be served from game1 of the regular season.​
  • Exemple : Pare receives a 3 games suspension, MTL request that the suspension has to be served by Auston Matthews.​
  • Arber Xhakej is suspended for 1 game. He's making the team roster so he is suspended for game #1 of the regular season.​

I like the first idea besides the "cap compliant" part. Some players are still fighting for a roster spot at that point and I wouldn't change that.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
The last part was why I suggested fining the team and coach, but yeah, how the fee structure is going to work I got no idea.
lol and coach?
I wonder how many coaches would blackmail the player "you pay my bill or you are cut" :D

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Probably not play your stars as much. Or until final game or two. Most the minor leaguers are sent down by then.

I doubt owners like giving up revenue of two games.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There's a lot of talk in my office, on the radio, on podcasts and most medias about the Preseason problem;

How do you protect your NHL players from injuries and/or cheap shots?

There was a lot of options that people offered but none really stuck with me as a real solution that would benefit the NHL as a whole except maybe two of them but they come with their own problem too.

1st option that made some kind of sense ;
  • Minimum of 6 games total.​
  • Minimum of 4 games where teams have full control of who they play, at their own risk. The AWAY team must send their line-up first since they are most likely the one to send a C or B club with a bunch of scrubs trying to make a name for themselves.​
  • The last 2 pre-season games, you must have your full roster and be cap compliant. Just like the Regular season.​

2nd option ;
  • Keep the current format.​
  • If there's a player (that doesn't make the official roster) that receives a suspension for a cheapshot, the opposing team can choose which player has to serve the suspension.​
  • All suspensions shall be served from game1 of the regular season.​
  • Exemple : Pare receives a 3 games suspension, MTL request that the suspension has to be served by Auston Matthews.​
  • Arber Xhakej is suspended for 1 game. He's making the team roster so he is suspended for game #1 of the regular season.​
One thing the NHL could do is double the suspension length in pre-season and the suspended players must stay on the NHL roster for the full duration and count toward the cap for the full duration. Also no pay if suspended in pre-season and a fine. Obviously it would be a deterrent for playoffs teams only. Most cup contending teams can't afford to have 750 000k to 900 000k added to their cap for 10+ games and most ECHL and AHL players can't afford to not be paid for a few weeks on top of a fine. Another deterrent could be added for non playoffs teams.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
A few people talking about the lost revenue, but if you take an average ticket price of $200, you only have to raise prices $4 per game all season to make up for removing 2 home games. They could also add rookie tournament games.

So I'd start by cutting pre-season from 8 to 4 games (2 home, 2 away). Mandatory 2 days off between games (no back to back to force split squad), and institute a 30 man roster limit before the pre-season games start.

I'd also look at something like all major and unsportsmanlike penalties are an automatic ejection, and fighting majors are an automatic 1 game suspension. Let's refs throw guys out for unsportsmanlike to turn down temperature on a game and reduces guys trying to "prove themselves" by fighting vets, as 1 fight and they lose the rest of that game + the next to impress.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
Or let's get crazy with this one:

All pre-season games become triple-header 3v3 mini tournaments. Teams submit 3 lineups of 9 skaters and 1 goalie, and play 3 20 minute games (so you can still charge full price tickets - still 60 minutes of hockey). Work on systems and all that in practice - games are to get your legs / timing / chemistry going.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Or let's get crazy with this one:

All pre-season games become triple-header 3v3 mini tournaments. Teams submit 3 lineups of 9 skaters and 1 goalie, and play 3 20 minute games (so you can still charge full price tickets - still 60 minutes of hockey). Work on systems and all that in practice - games are to get your legs / timing / chemistry going.

I'd take a bullet to stop you or you ideas getting anywhere near a BOG meeting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad