What is your solution to the Pre-season problem?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think the best solution is hit them in the pocketbooks. Any sort of play that is fine-worthy or suspension worthy not only dings that player, but results in an automatic fine for the team and coach.

This should also reduce retaliatory hits, whether it’s a player taking matters into their own hands or coaches’ orders.

I dont know how much this works, but the fines would definitely need to be upped. I have friends that make enough money that their speeding tickets are just simply part of their budget. I keep reading about some countries make their fines proportional, base on the offenders' salary. They figure the person may actually stop speeding if the fine is 14 000$ instead of 100$.

Maybe this is what is needed here - it may change the decision-making from "i have to protect my teammates" to "doing this will take away from my family". Of course, id be weary of deals from teams to circumvent that - say by offering to pay all fines in return for the player to play for the team.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I dont know how much this works, but the fines would definitely need to be upped. I have friends that make enough money that their speeding tickets are just simply part of their budget. I keep reading about some countries make their fines proportional, base on the offenders' salary. They figure the person may actually stop speeding if the fine is 14 000$ instead of 100$.

Maybe this is what is needed here - it may change the decision-making from "i have to protect my teammates" to "doing this will take away from my family". Of course, id be weary of deals from teams to circumvent that - say by offering to pay all fines in return for the player to play for the team.

The last part was why I suggested fining the team and coach, but yeah, how the fee structure is going to work I got no idea.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’d keep the same number of pre-season and not mess with the long established 82-game regular season standard.

However, I would not have have NHL teams face each other in the pre-season but only play teams from a foreign league that are of a calibre that is closest to NHL teams.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
There's a lot of talk in my office, on the radio, on podcasts and most medias about the Preseason problem;

How do you protect your NHL players from injuries and/or cheap shots?

There was a lot of options that people offered but none really stuck with me as a real solution that would benefit the NHL as a whole except maybe two of them but they come with their own problem too.

1st option that made some kind of sense ;
  • Minimum of 6 games total.​
  • Minimum of 4 games where teams have full control of who they play, at their own risk. The AWAY team must send their line-up first since they are most likely the one to send a C or B club with a bunch of scrubs trying to make a name for themselves.​
  • The last 2 pre-season games, you must have your full roster and be cap compliant. Just like the Regular season.​

2nd option ;
  • Keep the current format.​
  • If there's a player (that doesn't make the official roster) that receives a suspension for a cheapshot, the opposing team can choose which player has to serve the suspension.​
  • All suspensions shall be served from game1 of the regular season.​
  • Exemple : Pare receives a 3 games suspension, MTL request that the suspension has to be served by Auston Matthews.​
  • Arber Xhakej is suspended for 1 game. He's making the team roster so he is suspended for game #1 of the regular season.​

I like the first idea besides the "cap compliant" part. Some players are still fighting for a roster spot at that point and I wouldn't change that.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
The last part was why I suggested fining the team and coach, but yeah, how the fee structure is going to work I got no idea.
lol and coach?
I wonder how many coaches would blackmail the player "you pay my bill or you are cut" :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad