What is your solution to the Pre-season problem?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
For the Habs.

Sign enough bordline line NHLers to PTOs. Play them as much as you can with the kids early in the preseason. That way you meet the nhl requirements about vets in the lineup.

The top guys don’t play until the last game of the preseason and then use them sparingly. The vets hate these games and realistically they don’t need them to be ready.

Reactions: Oryxo

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
At the beginning of the camp, I had 3 rookies wich they could maybe make the club, Mailloux, Kapanen and Hutson. believe it or not, maybe those player will make the main team. I didnt have to watch Condotta play, or Gignac, hayes to know that they are still AHL level caliber. I would have 30 players at the camp and it would be allright. I remember when Bergevin was saying, : « anybody may make a surprise, we will see ». But in fact, 90% of the roster is already set at day 1. Then, we don’t need 6 pre season game imo.
Too many games.................play 4 games, and give your best players the last 2 games.
Run a camp with a lot less bodies around. Make the entire league bring 28-30 guys to camp.
Tell the gang, be ready to play..., everyone on the squad could make the team.

Treat the games exactly like an inseason game, hustle and hits, and injuries are part of it................when vets play now, they are trying to not get hurt, and look what happens. Not to mention teams dress garbage some nights, and those guys have no business being there.
Will Pare ever get a real shot with the Leafs?? Not likely, and yet he derailed the habs season.

Reactions: Hins77

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
2nd option ;
  • Keep the current format.​
  • If there's a player (that doesn't make the official roster) that receives a suspension for a cheapshot, the opposing team can choose which player has to serve the suspension.
  • All suspensions shall be served from game1 of the regular season.​
  • Exemple : Pare receives a 3 games suspension, MTL request that the suspension has to be served by Auston Matthews.
  • Arber Xhakej is suspended for 1 game. He's making the team roster so he is suspended for game #1 of the regular season.​
This is a horrible proposition. Why punish a player that had nothing to do with the play?
It's akin to suspending Suzuki or Slafkovsky because Florian Xhekaj did something stupid.

Last edited:

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Limit the participation in the games to people on the 50 contract list plus unsigned drafted players. Have less games and lower the mandatory minimum requirements.

Life Losers like Pare who didn't even have a two way contract, have no business in an NHL camp. You like him, sign him and put him on your contracts list. Don't bring into an NHL training camp and NHL game a loser who does two handed baseball grip swings at people in ball hockey games (the clip is on x, but lets just say Pare is dangerous).

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Dont play roster players during preseason. They play when regular season starts. Sure, they'll be rusty a few games, but there's way more deterrents in regular season.

-- star players need to play against players who actually have a stake in avoiding injury. No way a multimillionaire player sticks his knee out like that on that play. But a guy fighting to make the freaking AHL shouldnt be on the ice with a star player. All the microdecisions that result in that kind of collision change slightly when its a high caliber player averse to getting injured himself. Its like a well piloted plane avoiding danger edging by the obstruction because he anticipates the danger well before. However, a poorly piloted plane, as was the case here, finds itself in a situation it cant pull out from. Looking at the final split second of impact for a sign of intention is pointless. The poor piloting decisions started before. Thats why its nearly impossible to find a fault. Sure, not directly his fault at an intentional level, just a poor pilot with limited control of his monstrous frame directing unholy momentum and energy at multimillion dollar assets. Good job NHL!

-- so a proper analysis would look at the question of deterrent. Are there deterrents in the game itself that ensure players respect each other? Take for instance a major ingame or even post game suspension. Even if you suspend a player for a year it will have no bearing on the overall balance of the competition. Its a symbolic penalty as it has zero impact on the team. The player is a spare tire in a lower level league. But that player can ruin a teams future. How is it the NHL has created a situation in which no real punishment is possible for ending a players season? A real deterrent is having all your star players on the ice facing off against guys like Xman. Hey maybe now he thinks twice before sending his uncoordinated mound of flesh and limbs into oncoming traffic.

So really, its about making sure a game has real deterrents and real comparable consequences for actions, and making sure that a player that has absolutely no future in the nhl and skates around like he was born five minutes ago to a mare is nowhere in proximity to talent that ultimately pays his salary. That game was a joke. Why on earth is a preseason game a tryout for players trying to make the marlies?? Go play in ahl preseason games dude. Take your demonic knees and go wreck players of your own caliber if you want to make a career of it.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I actually don't have an issue with the preseason as it is. I think it is quite fine and allows for youngsters to effectively showcase themselves.

I hate the Laine and Reinbacher injuries but they are unfortunate/unlucky outcomes. I don't think the model itself is flawed.
It's flawed. One of the rules I had was never fight an ugly dude ( or at least uglier than me ) as he had less to lose. Alot of these guys know they have a hope in hell to latch onto an extra game let alone hit as an extra player on the roster. They are desperate so this clown knows he's beat and instead of letting it go he pushes out his knee. Or some guy wants to drop them with Xhekaj or Pezz because thats the only thing he can do to make an impression and lands a lucky shot that causes injury.

So fine. Rookie games and NHL players games

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Dumb topic which should digress into even dumber ideas.

There is no way around the fact that players need a few games to get ready and asit is they already know that the away team is going to dress the minimum number of NHLers.

This is just reactionary babble and needn't go any further than this post.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One of the things I'd like to see happen is all NHL pre games require a full compliment of NHL players and a limited number of prospects.
Stop the idiotic two games on successive nights with B teams and f***ing C teams don't call those NHL pre season games because we all know they are not.
I'd also like to have unlimited player substitution so everyone can get some work in. e.g. Suzuki gets a solid first period in and then off to the showers.
With six pre season games there is no reason all your top guys and prospects get some quality playing time in against better competition.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Dumb topic which should digress into even dumber ideas.

There is no way around the fact that players need a few games to get ready and asit is they already know that the away team is going to dress the minimum number of NHLers.

This is just reactionary babble and needn't go any further than this post.
Sorry man but this is dumb. There are easy ways to fix things so that paying fans get what they pay for.
What percentage of the games that are held should even carry the NHL Logo?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad