What is your perfect NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
96 teams across 3 levels with promotion and relegation (4 team relegated/promoted)

62 game season (home and homes versus all 31 other teams). Starts October 1, regular season ends approximately the end of February. Playoffs start mid-March and end mid-May

W/L/T system resurrected, with 10 minute 4 on 4 (or 3 on 3 I don't care) OT (with no OTL point)

16 team playoffs (1-16 seeding), 7 game series

8 team H2H relegation playoff (25-32, 26-31 etc.) 7 game series loser goes down, Played between the regular season and playoff to give playoff teams a little extra chance to recover.

Draft abolished, salary cap stays, rookie contract salary limits abolished, RFA system abolished

Team ownership model implemented similar to the Bundesliga 50+1 system.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
96 teams across 3 levels with promotion and relegation (4 team relegated/promoted)

62 game season (home and homes versus all 31 other teams). Starts October 1, regular season ends approximately the end of February. Playoffs start mid-March and end mid-May

W/L/T system resurrected, with 10 minute 4 on 4 (or 3 on 3 I don't care) OT (with no OTL point)

16 team playoffs (1-16 seeding), 7 game series

8 team H2H relegation playoff (25-32, 26-31 etc.) 7 game series loser goes down, Played between the regular season and playoff to give playoff teams a little extra chance to recover.

Draft abolished, salary cap stays, rookie contract salary limits abolished, RFA system abolished

Team ownership model implemented similar to the Bundesliga 50+1 system.
So, are you trying to kill the league? Sounds like you miss soccer.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
- Cut preseason games down to 3 or 4 games per team, and every team plays the same number of preseason games. All preseason games are neutral-site.
- Regular season starts the first week of October and ends the first week of April.
- Go back to the point system where every game only counts for two points, ditch the shootout, and bring back ties. 2 points for any type of win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for any type of loss.
- If the NHL insists on keeping the shootout, then go to the PWHL/IIHF point system. 3 points for regulation win, 2 points for OT/SO win, 1 point for OT/SO loss, 0 points for regulation loss. We have to incentivize teams to win in regulation, and not just coast around waiting for OT, and this ensures every game is worth 3 points, regardless of the result.
- Get rid of coaches challenges for offsides. I'm so tired of seeing goals called off because someone's skate blade was 1/16" offside. I'm fine with challenging for goalie interference though.
- Get rid of the trapezoid. Let the goalies roam free, and if they get hit/knocked down outside of the crease, it's fair game and their own fault.
- Go to a league-wide 1-16 playoff format. Travel be damned, they can deal with it. Top 4 seeds are the division winners, and 5-16 are wildcards. I want to see some big rivalries happen in the final two rounds. I hate divisional playoff format, where the top teams could face each other in the second round!

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
What is your perfect NHL?

Attachments

• IMG_0885.jpeg
    IMG_0885.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 1
  • Love
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Season starts 2nd week in September
82 game season
1 vs. 8 playoff format
Finals end in May

34 teams 1 back in Phoenix in the city too so we dont have to hear the whining about driving 1 place to another for a game when fans of other teams probably drive further, 1 in Quebec City, (Yeah yeah save it with all that shit discussed in the other thread)

Salary cap stays
3vs3 and shootout in regular season stays.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
NATIONAl Hockey League, there absolutely should Not ve any Canadian Teams.
You mean the nation that started the original league hockey NHA. Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal x 2. They were nice enough to let their southern friends join in after a bit.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
3 point system. Flights over 3 hours done by Concorde like planes to attempt to even the playing field in terms of travel time for East vs West teams.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Giant Round Robin season. Every team plays every other team twice. Once at home, once on the road. Works out to ~60 games which is still a little bit too long, but i think it'd be okay because there's not much repetition. And it at least cuts it down from the currently way too long schedule by a decent margin.

Then have the playoffs go back to the 1v8 2v7 3v6 4v5 seeding, regardless of divisions or anything. No need to expand or contract the playoff pool. But that seeding would help better promote more interesting later round matchups, compared to the current format that mostly pops off in the first round and gets worse and less interesting with each round thereafter.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
For games against your division, emphasize series type scheduling. Ex, NYR @ NYI on Friday, then play again Sunday.

I'm fine with most of your other ideas, but I hate this one a little bit. 4 games against divisional opponents when at least 2 of them are going to be on the same weekend means often going months without seeing that opponent. That's the situation we're in now and it annoys the hell out of me.

There's a 3.5-month gap between the Rangers 1st game against the Islanders this season and their 2nd.
They don't even play the Devils until December. And then there's a 3 month gap between their 3rd and 4th meetings.

The league wants to build divisional rivalries, but that's almost impossible to do when the teams go so long without seeing each other. My version of the schedule had them playing 6 times, and I'd rather mandate 1 meeting per month than see them play home-and-home sets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad