What is your first pleasant surprise of this 2024-25 season?

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
My first pleasant surprise came Thursday morning when I was checking the box scores from the night before. Victor Olofsson - who I had forgotten all about - scored two goals in Vegas' 8-4 victory over Colorado. One of his goals was a powerplay goal. I've always had a soft spot for the so-called one-trick-ponies who do nothing but score - and most often do their scoring on the powerplay. Camille Henry is/was the patron saint of such players.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
My first pleasant surprise came Thursday morning when I was checking the box scores from the night before. Victor Olofsson - who I had forgotten all about - scored two goals in Vegas' 8-4 victory over Colorado. One of his goals was a powerplay goal. I've always had a soft spot for the so-called one-trick-ponies who do nothing but score - and most often do their scoring on the powerplay. Camille Henry is/was the patron saint of such players.

Olofsson seems to have bought into Cassidy's system pretty well so far and had some good defensive plays as well. With Cassidy's heavy defense-oriented bias, he'll have to play a 200' game. But, yeah, a pleasant surprise to us as well. With Marchessault gone, somebody was going to have to make up for his scoring.

Reactions: Davenport

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Hildebeast played really well for his NHL debut, always love seeing that for young goalies.

The Leafs tandem in the crease at least to start the season is collectively over 13 feet tall. I found that surprising and perhaps even a bit pleasant.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Olofsson seems to have bought into Cassidy's system pretty well so far and had some good defensive plays as well. With Cassidy's heavy defense-oriented bias, he'll have to play a 200' game. But, yeah, a pleasant surprise to us as well. With Marchessault gone, somebody was going to have to make up for his scoring.
In 2019-20 - in his first full season in Buffalo - Olofsson scored 20 goals, 11 of them on the powerplay. Jack Eichel assisted on many of those goals. If those two are out together on the powerplay with Vegas, I think they'll click again.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

FromChaos22

Jan 10, 2008
Los Angeles
Broberg immediately looking like a top 4 dman

Kyrou off to a hot start after very cold starts the past two years

The overall resiliency of the Blues with the two impressive comeback wins to start the season
Are they easing Broberg into things, why is Faulk PP1 with a guy you just traded for being known for offense?

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
:flames
After a terrible first period Thursday (down 4-1, shots 15-5, shorthanded 4x), they didn't give up, battled back to not just tie the game, but take teh lead. Then after giving up a 6-on-5 goal to send it to OT, they still had no quit.

Anthony Mantha. Gordie Howetrick.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The Sharks showed potential in that second period last night. Unfortunately Macklin might sit due to injury for some time, but this felt like an entirely different vibe than before. It was actually a fun game to watch, despite the outcome.

As for the entire league, Calgary was the team that most surprised me so far. All that talk about rebuilding and being a bottom feeder, and they went out and probably gave us the game of the season so far. It was pretty exciting.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Are they easing Broberg into things, why is Faulk PP1 with a guy you just traded for being known for offense?

He’s been on the second pairing with Faulk and they’ve looked awesome. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him flipped with Leddy sometime soon.

As far as the PP, Faulk is a better offensive player(had 50 pts in his last healthy season), and Broberg has been the QB on the second unit.

Reactions: FromChaos22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad