What is the single worst decision your team ever made?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So many choices, so little time.

Vorachek and a #1 for Carter
Passing on Kopitar for Brule
Filatov
Jarmo
JD twice
Mike Babcock

Probably more contenders bit these are HOShamers for sire

Last edited:
Reactions: TS Quint

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers selling Gretzky. It would be interesting to see how much different NHL growth, revenues, and salaries might today if that did not happen.

simeon van loon

Aug 14, 2019
honestly, for the flames, its not trading iginla earlier in his career because if they did they would have gotten WAY more in a trade. then what they ended up getting from Pittsburgh

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Pittsburgh: If you want to go trades. Hard to go against the Naslund trade being absolutely horrible.
Both he and Stojanov were busts, with Alex's size seeming to still give him potential.
Both teams had hoped a change of venue might kickstart the former first rounders and this was probably their last chance. It's a trade that made sense at the time and it just happened to work out for Makka.
It didn't start well with Naslund. Markus ended up on the fourth line in Vancouver and actually considered retiring by his own admission.
With Bure injured/sitting on a contract dispute and other team injuries he ended up on the first line with Messier where he suddenly thrived and started living up to his potential. Even moreso he brokeout as one of the best players in the league. Makka/Nazzy credits Messier with turning around his career. I have to think Mark Crawford driving him helped too.
Had he stayed with Pittsburgh, it's likely his career would have ended as early as Stojanov's.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
I will never get over the 2015 draft Griffin R trade. No hignsight , we and my friend were screaming at the tv, WTF are we doing and waiting to hear what else we got, nothing came. All people involved in that trade should have never worked in hockey again.

Reactions: AvroArrow

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
1 - Trading Cam Neely and a 1st (Glen Wesley) for Barry Pederson.
* Craziest part of that trade was that the Canucks were trying to get a 1st back later as they loved Joe Sakic and were unable to draft him. Haunted the franchise for more than 2 decades

2 - Hiring Jim Benning as GM Trevor Linden as President and the owner getting involved in hockey Operations. Was the darkest era of the franchise. Nobody had the intelligence (Linden was smart enough and learning but had been out of hockey for a decade) patience or experience necessary to understand the salary cap and how to weaponize that and the draft

3 - Drafting Oli Juolevi ^
* Matthew Tkachuk was the easy consensus pick and the Nucks decided that they wanted a D. Rumors that Trevor Linden didnt want anything to do with the Tkachuks after Keith used to punch him in the face all the time and they also blew the D scouting as Sergachev was mostly rated higher Chychrun and MacAvoy were also available. Crazy to think we had decent odds of getting Matthews and walked away with a bust.

4 - Summer of 2016 ^^
* sort of a pile on above but it must be highlighted to understand the level of damage these guys were doing. Traded McCann (19yr old 1st rounder who had made the NHL and looked good)), 2nd (32nd OA) and 4th for a negative value overpaid 3RD Gudbranson. Drafted Juolevi with Tkachuk on the board and then had no 2nd when the team was rumoured to be high on DeBrincat. Put a cherry on top of that shit sandwich by signing Loui Eriksson at 6 x 6 who was never anything more than a 3rd liner. Set the tables for a remarkable 25million in cap space spent on players who couldn't play top6 top4 by 2019/20. Benning never understood the value of a player was tied to his cap hit. Thank F they fired that clown show

5 - Signing Mark Messier and hiring Mike Keenan
* The 2nd darkest era of Canucks was on the backside of the 94 team that came the closest to winning a cup vs ironically the Rangers (Messier/Keenan). The Messier signing was one disaster after another. Literally started with an announced signing that included the Captaincy to Messier with Linden (the captain) hearing it on radio coming back from Whistler and the #11 pulled from Wayne Maki's family and retirement. One player after another was moved or held to different standards for the country club Messier Bure Mogilny who were living large. Just an absolute disgrace to one of the best eras of the team. Lucky to have Brian Burke who recognized the failures and had the stones to be aggressive in turning the team over to create the West Coast Express teams

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I am an original Jets fan and there are so many BIG mistakes, including:

1 - obviously trading Selanne ranks near the top of biggest blunders
2 - drafting Aaron Ward 5th overall instead of Peter Forsberg
3 - the WHA to NHL expansion draft (losing Kent Nilsson, drafting Jimmy Mann)

But undoubtedly the worst mistake EVER was the WHA team passing on a trade for a young Wayne Gretzky in return for $250,000.

• Wow
Reactions: NYRfan85

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Flames spending to the cap but having absolutely terrible scouts for like 20 years never made sense to me. Hell if it was a money issue just don't spend to the cap for a few years. We would have had a better team.

2019 to 2022 was just awful decision after awful decision. Trying to win at the wrong time, poor coaches, treating Bennett like shit, losing Gaudreau for nothing, trying to go all in again after losing him.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
These was a play where a guy picked the puck out of the air skated 6 strides and threw it in the net

anybody remember the teams involved? or have the youtube video
i think it was an OT goal

once it was over the refs got surrounded and couldn't leave the ice

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I will never get over the 2015 draft Griffin R trade. No hignsight , we and my friend were screaming at the tv, WTF are we doing and waiting to hear what else we got, nothing came. All people involved in that trade should have never worked in hockey again.
That was definitely one of the worst. Reinhart wasn't even a prospect at that point, was pretty much a confirmed bust and they gave up the 15th overall in such a deep draft for him. There was tons of legitimate star talent available.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Trading for Dubois I think upset the entire team chemistry. Trading Dubois I think reset the team in the right direction. Funny that this could make me a fan of more than one team.

Winnipeg or Kings fan?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Both he and Stojanov were busts, with Alex's size seeming to still give him potential.
Both teams had hoped a change of venue might kickstart the former first rounders and this was probably their last chance. It's a trade that made sense at the time and it just happened to work out for Makka.
It didn't start well with Naslund. Markus ended up on the fourth line in Vancouver and actually considered retiring by his own admission.
With Bure injured/sitting on a contract dispute and other team injuries he ended up on the first line with Messier where he suddenly thrived and started living up to his potential. Even moreso he brokeout as one of the best players in the league. Makka/Nazzy credits Messier with turning around his career. I have to think Mark Crawford driving him helped too.
Had he stayed with Pittsburgh, it's likely his career would have ended as early as Stojanov's.
1725047906108.png

Reactions: LuckyDay

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Trading away Markus Naslund

Trading away Sergei Zubov

More recently, hiring Ron Hextall to be GM.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Something to do with Harold Ballard for sure but I wasn't following at all back then.

Or maybe simply, appealing to me because of my proximity to the team at the time in my life when I got into NHL hockey for whatever reason (no family thing there to influence me).

It was Leafs or Ottawa.............hmmmmmm.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Hiring Jim Benning & John Weisbrod. Came off some relatively successful runs from the WCE teams to The Twins teams then headed to a decade of darkness under Dim Jim. Ownership was too stupid to let Gillis rebuild when he thought it was necessary and paid for it in the end. I think the Twins would have played a bit longer had it not been such a shit show.

Reactions: Burt Macklin

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Maple Leafs - Signing Tavaras.

It's the worst move in my lifetime. I truly believe the Leafs would have had far, far more playoff success if they didn't sign him. It changed everything, starting with much higher paydays for Matthews and Marner.

It set this franchise back 7 years at least, maybe longer.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
These was a play where a guy picked the puck out of the air skated 6 strides and threw it in the net

anybody remember the teams involved? or have the youtube video
i think it was an OT goal

once it was over the refs got surrounded and couldn't leave the ice

Probably Bergevin when he was in STL SJ was the opponent I believe... I wanna say it happened in 2000

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00