What is the single worst decision your team ever made?

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Drafting finns. Detroit Red Wings used to only draft Russians and Swedes. Then a few Finns joined and it's been a downhill since.

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
candidates for the sharks:
- MEV signed to a 8x7 contract
- Letting pavelski walk
- hindsight is 20/20, but some of our franchise's early draft picks could have been hall of famers multiple times. Falloon over Niedermayaer+Forsberg; trading down to Kozlov and missing Pronger/Kariya; ...

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Drafting finns. Detroit Red Wings used to only draft Russians and Swedes. Then a few Finns joined and it's been a downhill since.
Red Wings have never drafted a finn in the 1st round and none in the past 4 years, so not the best excuse! Of the 2 finns playing Määttä is leading the +/- and Husso isn't playing much.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
For the habs is probably Patrick Roy trade
I think I would have said letting Roy get hung out to dry against Detroit was the bad decision which led to the trade itself. Had they changed goalies he might not have flipped out and demanded a trade on the spot.

Reactions: rfournier103

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I think I would have said letting Roy get hung out to dry against Detroit was the bad decision which led to the trade itself. Had they changed goalies he might not have flipped out and demanded a trade on the spot.

He would have probably asked for a trade in the summer. Patrick and the habs coach( Mario Tremblay) hated each other. it has very dumb from the owner to chose the coach over our franchise goalie.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oilers:

wcw-chris.gif

Right up there with one of the funniest posts I have ever seen on HFBoards.

Bravo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The good
Trading for Gilmour
Drafting Clark
Trading for Sundin

The worst thing they’ve done is every other thing they’ve done since 1967

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
candidates for the sharks:
- MEV signed to a 8x7 contract
- Letting pavelski walk
- hindsight is 20/20, but some of our franchise's early draft picks could have been hall of famers multiple times. Falloon over Niedermayaer+Forsberg; trading down to Kozlov and missing Pronger/Kariya; ...
The Sharks' entire history is a series of aneurysm-inducing what-ifs

Reactions: fasterthanlight

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
In my own personal order of fkery:

1. Mike Keenan
2. Ryan Miller
3. Patrick Lalime

I don't rank trading off Pietrangelo on my list because there are two sides to it and honestly we didn't feel the hit til folks like JayBo and Steen retired. There are decisions that turn out to be bad or good in hindsight and ones that were bad even when they were made. These three were poor decisions brought about because ownership at the time didn't want to do it right. Blues didn't need a netminder who ended up bombing it (along with Lalime) when we had folks like Halak and Elliott rocking hard and no one should ever need Keenan.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The Canes:

1. Not being bad enough to get a top 3 pick for much of our decade of suck (prior to svech). We had the 5th twice and a 7th.
2. Not getting a goalie for 06-07. Ward wasn’t ready to be a starter and he killed a pretty good team.
3. Having PK as an owner too long. We had crap support and facilities for a long time.
4. Semin’s contract.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Penguins is obviously the Naslund trade.

Might be able to argue to some degree though it was keeping Murray instead of Fleury. Penguins probably repeat in 17-18 if they get a big return for Murray after he was the starter for the b2b teams. Total monday morning quarterbacking though. Getting rid of Fleury's cap hit was a great move at the time.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Canes:

1. Not being bad enough to get a top 3 pick for much of our decade of suck (prior to svech). We had the 5th twice and a 7th.
2. Not getting a goalie for 06-07. Ward wasn’t ready to be a starter and he killed a pretty good team.
3. Having PK as an owner too long. We had crap support and facilities for a long time.
4. Semin’s contract.

Regarding 3 for those who don't know.

The Hurricanes up until 2020 were practicing at a rink called Raleigh Center Ice. Think of it as the place you play beer-league hockey at, bad ice/locker rooms and all. In general, it's not "bad" but it's not the kind of facility an NHL team should be using unless it's temporary. The Hurricanes practiced here for 20 years.

Under PK they also didn't have a nutrition regiment, the minute Dundon implemented one the players got real excited. They now have a full-time chef who travels with them.

There's things about Dundon I don't agree with but the on-ice product is a lot better. Much better drafting and attention to detail, and better attempts at development of prospects.

Reactions: cptjeff

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Benning was pretty terrible

Thought the was terrible after trading picks for absolute trash once he got the job

This guy has a standing deal on the table on the table if CBJ didn’t take PLD, for a trade with montreal for 5th overall, Horvat and Tanev for Subban.

Don’t even get me started on OEL which he was about to pay 50% more than he did the summer before

Tried to trade 6th overall and 23rd overall and shinkaruk for Reinhart at the draft which would have been sweet

Too obsessed with huge trades

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
Doug Risebrough

All 1st Round picks from 2004-08 were duds.

His complete mishandling of Marian Gaborik. Riser even said he never once spoke with MG's agent Ron Salcer for six years. Gabby ends up walking with no assets to show for it. Signs as a free agent with the Rangers & he continued to light the lamp for a few seasons. That was the last of Riser as our GM.
I am a really bad GM

Chuck Fletcher

The Leddy/Kim Johnsson for Cam Barker trade sucked no doubt.
If I recall correctly Leddy was traded literally during the pregame warm up of what would have been his NHL debut. Might be some Mandela Effect happening, but I feel pretty certain that was the case.

The less said about Chris Stewart, Sean Bergenheim & Matt Moulson the better.

Chaz's biggest mistake in my opinion was his handling of the Expansion Draft for Vegas. He got so cute with his determination to keep Matt Dumba, we end of losing Erik Haula AND Alex Tuch.

I've also gotten the impression he is a bit of a pushover. It seemed like he conceded to our "Leadership Core" in Koivu, Parise & Suter way too easily. I genuinely wonder who was really running the show.

Paul Fenton

Definitely our least popular GM. That control freak psycho only last one year in Minnesota with his above top secret style of management. Yet he still managed one mistake that will make every Wild fan groan. -Nino Neiderreiter for Victor Rask. Bad trade compounded by the fact that there was no due diligence done by Fenton. We needed centers and saw Rask was classified as a center and boom trade made.

Bill Guerin

I'm sure many Wild fans would say the Parise/Suter buyouts, but I think that was the smart, albeit painful, plan. I don't like the spate of veteran extensions he served up to Ryan Hartman, Mats Zuccarello and Marcus Foligno.

Hartman's contract I actually don't hate. A little overpaid, but he was also a bargain on his previous contract.

Zucc was already starting to look cooked until Kaprizov came along and gave him some rejuventation. Even with a superstar he is no longer a quality top6 player and is not bottom six material.

I say this as a longtime Marcus Foligno fan. Extended for too much term and dollar. He's been declining in his effectiveness for a couple of seasons, yet his term and money increases on his current extension. Poor use of precious cap space and clogs up the depth chart for some very good prospect we have knocking on the door.

Whew. I'm done.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
For the Devils, I would say trading for Cory Schneider.

The trade itself (#9 overall in 2013 draft) was fine value-wise and Schneider was fantastic his first 3 seasons in NJ (.924 SV% & 2.14 GAA over 172 games), but the Devils should've embraced a rebuild at that point in time after an impressive 20-year run. Despite Schneider's play, the Devils still missed the playoffs each of those seasons before injuries derailed his career and NJ finally embraced a rebuild. Devils should've been in the running for the #1 overall pick in 2015 (McDavid) and 2016 (Matthews), but nope...Schneider and his .925 SV% over those two seasons in front of a mediocre at best team prevented that.

On top of that, Schneider's arrival and Lou's desire to still try to make the Devils competitive forced Brodeur out of the organization. The guy is a legend and has a statue outside the arena - he should've never played for another organization and been able to have gone out on his terms. Had the Devils embraced a rebuild, Brodeur could've stuck around another season or two and gotten 700 wins and padded his all-time stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00