What is the single worst decision your team ever made?

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Eh, Boston has lost Chara and Bergeron and done alright (so far).
Let's go another way this. The term I should have used was generational player, not just superstar. The kind you by definition can't replace without simply getting lucky and drafting 1OA at the right time.

These players define eras for a franchise and when they decline and retire there is a bill to pay in the cap era.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hiring Jim Benning

Could have been worse

1722288422153.png

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I always thought the Leafs would have a cup or two by now if they hadn’t traded away the pick they could have used to draft Luongo

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Firing Serge Savard and replacing him with Rejean Houle.

Guess that's two decisions.

I always thought the Leafs would have a cup or two by now if they hadn’t traded away the pick they could have used to draft Luongo
Luongo the missing link to leafs a Cup??🤣

Reactions: HabsQC

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Im sure there's an endless list on shit the leafs did wrong but the most recent was signing Tavares and just giving the kids all that money without any results. both these combined took away what I assume was their best chance to win since 92 or 93.
Yup.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Having too much class as an organization to hire Stan Bowman. Really missing out.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
The 2003 draft. It ended up haunting the Rangers a decade later. Imagine adding any of Brown, Richards, Parise, Kesler, Pavelski or Backes on the low end or Perry, Getzlaf, Bergeron. Or Seabrook or Weber.. we probably come away with 2 Cups in 2012-15.

I'm also told the Rangers cut Gordie Howe
Not closing the deal on signing Howe by playing sleazy hardball is easily the biggest blunder in Rangers history.

Reactions: cptjeff and Voight

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Let's go another way this. The term I should have used was generational player, not just superstar. The kind you by definition can't replace without simply getting lucky and drafting 1OA at the right time.

These players define eras for a franchise and when they decline and retire there is a bill to pay in the cap era.
1 Thornton is less than a Bergeron and Chara combined.

Sure it’s incredibly hard to replace a Jumbo Joe, but it’s much harder to lose both Chara and Bergeron and still be competitive.

Likely because SJ never found their Pasta/McAvoy/Swayman

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I still think trading for Kessel was the single worst decision any Leafs GM made in the 24 years I have been following hockey/NHL. Such a dumb move. Burke was such a loser!

Reactions: Kegs

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
For Lou in NJ, it was the decade of futile drafts between 05-15. If you don’t want to rebuild, you better hit on some players. Refusal to address scouting and then a refusal to rebuild - fatal blow.

But specifically, he should’ve done everything in his power to keep Scott Niedermayer. Likely cost himself a cup, maybe two.
I agree with this but to Lou's credit, he pulled some absolute gems from 00-06 in terms of undrafted UFAs. Rafalski, Greene, Madden, and Clarkson is a substantial amount of talent. He was definitely in the "I'm smelling my own farts" stage, but the delusion that he can find talent in unconventional places wasn't totally unfounded.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I still think trading for Kessel was the single worst decision any Leafs GM made in the 24 years I have been following hockey/NHL. Such a dumb move. Burke was such a loser!
pretty bad trade. What about raycroft for rask though? Kessel ended up being one of the most consistent goal scorers for about 15 years!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
pretty bad trade. What about raycroft for rask though? Kessel ended up being one of the most consistent goal scorers for about 15 years!

Well, it is tough to pick one. Anyway, I don't have a beef with Kessel. He didn't trade himself. He was a good player. I have a beef with Brian Burke thinking he is the smartest guy in the room. Leafs didn't need a soft sniper at that time. You don't build around guys like that. This was a horrible trade that gave Boston 2 top 10 picks.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Well, it is tough to pick one. Anyway, I don't have a beef with Kessel. He didn't trade himself. He was a good player. I have a beef with Brian Burke thinking he is the smartest guy in the room. Leafs didn't need a soft sniper at that time. You don't build around guys like that. This was a horrible trade that gave Boston 2 top 10 picks.
Boston dumped both those players! Boston does not mess around. I’ve never seen a team move on from players that aren’t working out so Willy nilly.

Thornton, kessel, seguin, Hamilton, wheeler and ullmark off the top of my head.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad