Value of: What is the plan with Travis Konecny?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Valid perspective. However, a tell tale sign Philadelphia hasnt embraced a proper tank/rebuild is that Tortorella is still coach. And they have some players back that could make them competitive enough to have playoff aspirations for a while.
Even with Torts they have a noticable talent gap from the majority of the conference. I think they have embraced it without saying it.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Out of 7 seasons, he's been P/PG exactly once. His career point totals are 336 in 490 gp, which isn't even close to P/PG. If you start out a thread with a false statement, it usually doesn't go out.

Also, and this is more subjective, I wouldn't call him "electrifying".
He was a P/G player last season with the Flyers. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he's probably good for ~P/G pace on a much better team if he's on the first line and top powerplay.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Out of 7 seasons, he's been P/PG exactly once. His career point totals are 336 in 490 gp, which isn't even close to P/PG. If you start out a thread with a false statement, it usually doesn't go out.

Also, and this is more subjective, I wouldn't call him "electrifying".

While this is true, I don't think his raw point totals tell the story too well.

Konecny's played most of his brief career in a weird situation: He's had 5 (bad) coaches, and only the most recent has used him to his potential. Up until 2021-22, he averaged under 16 minutes a night and received very little PP time, almost always on the (terrible, given the Flyers' depth) second unit.

Out of necessity, he finally got his first line minutes last season. Did his production jump massively? No, not really, he just got more time to produce.

Among active players Konecny is 53rd in even strength scoring rate over his career. That's directly behind Eichel and a few steps above guys like Giroux and Backstrom.

So: Konecny has consistently produced at a 1st line rate throughout his career, but up until the last two seasons he's gotten 3rd-line usage. While it might be early to call him like, a no-brainer PPG player, it seems almost a lock that he'd score 70+ on any team in the league if given the minutes.

He also got his first looks on the PK last season, and he's really good there too. Just a great player all-around, and another dude who'd be better understood if not playing for a comically mismanaged franchise.

Last edited:

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
At some point we will need to draft in the 1st round again.
Honestly, if we made only one of our 3 first round picks in 2024 and 2025, I'd be fine with that.

Keep adding to this core, our Top 6 F and Top 4 D are pretty much set for the next 4-5 years: Stutzle, Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Pinto, Greig (let's say $36M for our Top 6 F's) and Sanderson, Chychrun (yes he's staying), Chabot, Zub/Kleven (Let's say $30M). That's between $20-35M to fill out the bottom half of your roster and goalies, which should be more than enough.

We are getting to the point that we can attract a few UFA's to sign in Ottawa, so draft picks aren't totally necessary to keep this core in contention. This doesn't mean waste 1st round picks, but if they can add another Top 6 winger and afford him long-term, they should certainly not hesitate to move one of those picks.

Reactions: SensontheRush

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Signing UFAs usually eats up that cap room we’ve been waiting to clear for extensions.

Whoever ends up winning the auction often ends up overpaying.

ELC players remain the best way to be competitive with a mature and contending team.

We shall see what happens.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The return and his next contract should be similar to Dubois.

Swap heights and he should be getting more. Kings paid the 6'4 tax.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Please, have some decency.

I kindly ask we don’t do this-and to my excitement I see two replies, only for me to be made a fool of on main boards by having people do what I asked them not to do.

This the shit I come here for lol

"to my excitement I see two replies" lololol this is HF gold

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
He would absolutely thrive on the Jets. I have to ask though, are you prepared to move that first and then some?
Personally, if the Jets are planning on rebuilding on the fly, while trying to remain in contention, then yes… I would… he’d be a perfect fit with WPGs current core

Reactions: Thechozen1

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
So many rw in Philly:
Roster: Atkinson, Tippett, Hathaway
Knocking: Foerster, Brink
Future: Michkov, Kaplan, Gendron, Tuomaala.

Lw is real weak.

Give me a 1st and a young lw with potential.
Detroit, Wpg, who is out there?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Personally, if the Jets are planning on rebuilding on the fly, while trying to remain in contention, then yes… I would… he’d be a perfect fit with WPGs current core

1st + Chibrikov? It would be cool to have another former Michkov's teammate on the team when he comes.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
So many rw in Philly:
Roster: Atkinson, Tippett, Hathaway
Knocking: Foerster, Brink
Future: Michkov, Kaplan, Gendron, Tuomaala.

Lw is real weak.

Give me a 1st and a young lw with potential.
Detroit, Wpg, who is out there?

Uh, everything BUT RW is real weak. I think C and D are higher on the list of needs than LWs.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Uh, everything BUT RW is real weak. I think C and D are higher on the list of needs than LWs.
Really? No one would noticed with out inactive you guys have been regarding trades.

I know it takes times to start moving guys for the right pieces, but so far I’m surprised with the inactivity

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The plan should be to trade him as he'll probably be the most valuable deadline piece this year.

If the Flyers are dumb, they'll let him rot. However the Flyers are kind of dumb, so don't be shocked if they do let him rot.

Note: I'm a Flyers fan.

• Wow
Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Really? No one would noticed with out inactive you guys have been regarding trades.

I know it takes times to start moving guys for the right pieces, but so far I’m surprised with the inactivity

I think they've been moderately active, but not nearly as aggressive as they could have been so far.

They shipped out Provorov and ate a bunch of salary to get a damn good return. They scuttled Hayes and Tony D. And then they did the dumb thing they seem to do regardless of GM, which was to sign a bunch of trash-to-decent depth that they don't need at this point (Staal, Hathaway, Poehling).

But they only really have a couple more pieces that are moveable and worth anything. Konecny, as we're discussing here, and Laughton, who is the type of middle-6 good-at-everything guy who is always in pretty high demand.

The hope is that they haven't deluded themselves to thinking they can do this without sucking the next two seasons, which means trading those two at the deadline when their value will likely be sky-high. Unfortunately they're both CHARACTER GUYS after all, and Torts clings tightly to those.

They picked twice in the 1st round last year and have two more 1sts this year, and they have some promising rookie wings (Brink, Foerster) and maybe a worthwhile young D or two (York, Andrae, Bonk?) but they're still a ways away. They need to really, really suck this year I think to convince themselves they can trade off TK and Laughton.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
I think they've been moderately active, but not nearly as aggressive as they could have been so far.

They shipped out Provorov and ate a bunch of salary to get a damn good return. They scuttled Hayes and Tony D. And then they did the dumb thing they seem to do regardless of GM, which was to sign a bunch of trash-to-decent depth that they don't need at this point (Staal, Hathaway, Poehling).

But they only really have a couple more pieces that are moveable and worth anything. Konecny, as we're discussing here, and Laughton, who is the type of middle-6 good-at-everything guy who is always in pretty high demand.

The hope is that they haven't deluded themselves to thinking they can do this without sucking the next two seasons, which means trading those two at the deadline when their value will likely be sky-high. Unfortunately they're both CHARACTER GUYS after all, and Torts clings tightly to those.

They picked twice in the 1st round last year and have two more 1sts this year, and they have some promising rookie wings (Brink, Foerster) and maybe a worthwhile young D or two (York, Andrae, Bonk?) but they're still a ways away. They need to really, really suck this year I think to convince themselves they can trade off TK and Laughton.
This is the type of content I make threads for.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply , it makes sense to me.

The only reason I even made that Flyers fan comment in my post, was because usually what happens in my encounters is fans making nonsense , no context whatsoever replies saying the player isn’t available when it makes zero sense from an outside fan perspective.

And I get it for teams that are competing, but teams that are retooling or rebuilding need to at least be open to converse.

Cheers

Reactions: Rich Nixon

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
C is decent: Couturier, Frost, Cates all decent players with Gauthier near. Laughton would be fine 3rd-4th C instead of playing lw2.

3 dmen are ufas so there will be major changes next year, organically or else.
No top guy but Sanheim-York-Ristolainen plus 2 young guys Zamula-Andrae and one of Ginning-Grans-Attard should make it. Bonk-Samson is next wave in 2-3 yrs.

Lw is worse shape imo.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Out of curiosity, if Briere didn't do the "dumb thing" and sign guys like Staal, Hathaway and Poehling, who would take those roster spots? It sounds like their young talent isn't quite ready, so he signed a couple of mediocre band-aids to fill out the active roster for a year or two while he builds his team.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’d be curious as a ducks fan….

Zegras carlsson Konecny
Killorn mctavish terry
Vatrano Lundy strome

Would be a pretty good top 9.

I’d do a protected 1st + any forward prospect not named carlsson +

Ad

Upcoming events