Player Discussion What is the Legacy of this Bruins Core?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm in the group of winning cups are more important than having a chance at the cup for x number of years. I rather have 2 to 3 cups since 2010 than being one of the best teams in the past 15 years. Cups should always be the ultimate goal... most people don't remember who finnish second or third.

IMO we failed as an organization since 1970. 3 cups in 52 years... is nothing to be proud of. when will be the next one? Since this organization is happy with simply participating in the playoffs.

When your team puts more importance to have a good regular season team than having a team built for the playoffs... you know the next cup might not be in your lifetime.

We always make fun of the Leafs... in 52 years we got 3 cups, the Leafs in 52 years had 13 cups. Sure it was a different league back then, but still we only got 3 from 24 to 69...Then they became what they are today.

Wow.

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I'm just happy I got to see a Cup win in my lifetime, so that's an A from me. They've played a lot of meaningful hockey, and I've had a lot of fun watching.

Biggest disappointment was 2014. That team was awesome, and really wanted to win one for Iginla. Had a Bourque/Colorado feel to it.

I look at a team like Toronto that hasn't been able to get out of the first round in almost two decades and I think to myself, "Man, this hasn't been anywhere near as bad as many of the forum folks like to make it sound" haha

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Unfortunately, the same as the other great cores in the team's history. They'll be looked back on with "yeah they won X, but they should've won more"

The 30s/40s core won 2 Cups, but should've had more if not for WW2 taking Schmidt, Bauer, Dumart, Brimsek in their primes for years

The 70s core won 2 Cups, but only 2 Cups with Orr and Esposito is underachieving

The late 80s core didn't win it, looking back they really should've with Bourque, Neely and Oates

This core won it in 2011, but at a minimum should've had 2 Cups with their habit of losing series they had no business losing (2012 WSH, 2014 MTL, 2019 STL)

Montreal winning the Cup in 1971 was a testament to the Habs culture. The Bruins relaxed in Game 2 of their series against Montreal when leading 5-1 and Orr had a horrific third period.

Chicago had 'graciously' moved to the West to improve their Cup chances in 1971 but.......

1974 the Bruins lost Game 2 against the Flyers and never recovered

77-78-79 - The Bruins were the second-best team in the NHL to Poutineville :cry:

1988 - Edmonton was the better team

1990 - This will haunt me forever

2014 was the ultimate nightmare

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
For the sake of this discussion, let’s define the core as starting with Bergeron in 03/04, and including the tenures of Thomas, Krejci, Chara, Marchand, Rask, and Pastrnak.

Tampa is on the cusp of its 3rd consecutive Cup.

Chicago won 3 in six years.

Penguins 3 in nine years.

Kings 2 in three years.

Bruins with the one, plus two additional Final appearances.

One Presidents’ Trophy, plus one runner up.

Whether or not Bergeron calls it a career, let’s grade this organization’s run over the last two decades.
I will always be grateful with 2011. That being said, as a whole they underachieved. Losing five game sevens at home is something that will always stick with me when I think back.

A-

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm just happy I got to see a Cup win in my lifetime, so that's an A from me. They've played a lot of meaningful hockey, and I've had a lot of fun watching.

Biggest disappointment was 2014. That team was awesome, and really wanted to win one for Iginla. Had a Bourque/Colorado feel to it.

I look at a team like Toronto that hasn't been able to get out of the first round in almost two decades and I think to myself, "Man, this hasn't been anywhere near as bad as many of the forum folks like to make it sound" haha

I couldn't believe how little Chiarelli did at that year's deadline. A team at the top of the standings and I felt with the way the Iginla contract was structured basically pushing out his cap hit the 2014 team had a bit of a "last dance" feel to it.

And the best he can do is bring in a mediocre Meszaros that fit so poorly Julien healthy scratched him at time in the playoffs for Matt Bartowkski when he had a clear hole on LD. Even at RD they had no back-up plan when a rookie Kevan Miller got thrown in the fire and had a tough time. Next in line I believe was Corey Potter who they got off waivers that year.

Meanwhile up front you had a massive hole on the 3rd line with Soderberg and Eriksson that they filled with such luminaries like Matt Fraser, Jordan Caron, and Justin Florek.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Even one cup is better than no cups, but 2019 feels like a lost opportunity. But I think what gets forgotten sometimes, is that this Bruins core that won 1 cup and made the finals two more times has been built without the benefit of (own) high draft picks and getting generational/frachise players handed to you in the draft. All of the teams that have been more successful in the past period landed key players via top-3 picks for being terrible. Penguins - Crosby/Malkin/Fleury, Blackhawks - Toews/Kane, Kings - Doughty, Lightning - Stamkos/Hedman. Of course, I am not saying this is the only reason for their success, they did a lot of other things right, but still, I find it quite exceptional that the Bruins managed to suceed without this.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Even one cup is better than no cups, but 2019 feels like a lost opportunity. But I think what gets forgotten sometimes, is that this Bruins core that won 1 cup and made the finals two more times has been built without the benefit of (own) high draft picks and getting generational/frachise players handed to you in the draft. All of the teams that have been more successful in the past period landed key players via top-3 picks for being terrible. Penguins - Crosby/Malkin/Fleury, Blackhawks - Toews/Kane, Kings - Doughty, Lightning - Stamkos/Hedman. Of course, I am not saying this is the only reason for their success, they did a lot of other things right, but still, I find it quite exceptional that the Bruins managed to suceed without this.

Redo the 1996 draft and Chara goes No.1

Redo the 2003 draft and Bergeron likely goes No.1 and if not No. 1 than certainly No. 2. (I'd take him over Getzlaf)

Redo the 2004 draft and Krejci is Top 3-5

Redo the 2006 draft and Marchand is Top 3-5 and Lucic Top 10.

To hit on 4 skaters like that in the 2nd/3rd rounds in the span of 4 drafts is actually pretty incredible.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think it’s over

Was looking at 2016 archives after 2 years missing playoffs and we had this

It’s June let’s see what October brings

Hell as a 10 year old I was ecstatic when the 1970 Canadiens missed the playoffs the last day of year with an ancient lineup and figured We Own the 70’s

Um yeh - not so fast

@Gee Wally you remember that lol

Redo the 1996 draft and Chara goes No.1

Redo the 2003 draft and Bergeron likely goes No.1 and if not No. 1 than certainly No. 2. (I'd take him over Getzlaf)

Redo the 2004 draft and Krejci is Top 3-5

Redo the 2006 draft and Marchand is Top 3-5 and Lucic Top 10.

To hit on 4 skaters like that in the 2nd/3rd rounds in the span of 4 drafts is actually pretty incredible.
And they had Kessel in 2006 as well

Kessel
Marchand
Lucic

Krejci
Wheeler - ok he wasn’t drafted but pulled an Adam Fox

The longevity of The Rolling Stones

MOC made those two horrendous deals : Joe Thornton & passing at 15 with Parise, Getzlaf, Carter, Perry all at 15 and either a steal already or rated there to trade back and grab vanilla Mark Stuart

Parise was Barzal long before we knew his name

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I don’t think it’s over

Was looking at 2016 archives after 2 years missing playoffs and we had this

It’s June let’s see what October brings

Hell as a 10 year old I was ecstatic when the 1970 Canadiens missed the playoffs the last day of year with an ancient lineup and figured We Own the 70’s

Um yeh - not so fast

@Gee Wally you remember that lol

And they had Kessel in 2006 as well

Kessel
Marchand
Lucic

Krejci
Wheeler - ok he wasn’t drafted but pulled an Adam Fox

The longevity of The Rolling Stones

MOC made those two horrendous deals : Joe Thornton & passing at 15 with Parise, Getzlaf, Carter, Perry all at 15 and either a steal already or rated there to trade back and grab vanilla Mark Stuart

Parise was Barzal long before we knew his name

remember it like it was yesterday.
funny thing is I cant remember what I had for supper 3 days ago though.

I do think the window is closing. For a spell anyway if managed correctly. Its only natural and actually overdue. Like I said somewhere in here most clubs would wish for what Bruins have done say this century. +/-.

I think perspective may be influenced by generational too though. I see it in my own kids all born in the 90s. Being all around Boston fans they simply have never lived through truly lean times. Times when you knew you stand no shot. In any sport.
I keep telling they born into the golden age of Boston sports and they are pretty damn lucky.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The 80s core only had Bourque Neely and Oates. The owner Mr Burns and his lackey Sinden refused in the no cap era to spend the money to put the Bruins over the top. That’s why you get the takes on the owner today that he’s cheap even if he spends to the cap. Fans that followed those teams were begging for them to do something we will never forgive or forget. The best day for this organization will be when they sell the team.

Oates never played for the Bruins in the 80's.

And lackey Sinden made 3 great deals to acquire those 3 players.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinDust

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The day everything changed:

Bruins sign sought-after free agents Chara, Savard​

Jul 1, 2006

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins signed two of the top free
agents on the market Saturday, inking 6-foot-9 defenseman Zdeno Chara and center Marc Savard.
Chara got a five-year deal worth $37.5 million dollars, and
there is also a no-trade clause in the contract. Savard left
Atlanta to sign a four-year deal worth $20 million with Boston.
"We were really aggressive out of the gate," interim general
manager Jeff Gorton said on a conference call. "It made it much
easier to sign Savard after Chara signed with us. He could see how
serious we were about winning."

...The Bruins are overhauling their entire organization after
finishing out of the playoffs and in last place in the Northeast
Division last season with a 29-37-16 record for 74 points.
The team fired general manager Mike O'Connell late last season
and hired Ottawa assistant GM Peter Chiarelli to replace him last
month. One of Chiarelli's first moves was to fire coach Mike
Sullivan and replace him with former Detroit Red Wings coach Dave
Lewis.

Per the agreement between Boston and Ottawa, Chiarelli -- who
does not officially take over the Bruins until July 15 -- wasn't
allowed to advise Boston about any of the Senators free agents.

• Love
Reactions: BMC and BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The day everything changed:

Bruins sign sought-after free agents Chara, Savard​

Jul 1, 2006

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins signed two of the top free
agents on the market Saturday, inking 6-foot-9 defenseman Zdeno Chara and center Marc Savard.
Chara got a five-year deal worth $37.5 million dollars, and
there is also a no-trade clause in the contract. Savard left
Atlanta to sign a four-year deal worth $20 million with Boston.
"We were really aggressive out of the gate," interim general
manager Jeff Gorton said on a conference call. "It made it much
easier to sign Savard after Chara signed with us. He could see how
serious we were about winning."

...The Bruins are overhauling their entire organization after
finishing out of the playoffs and in last place in the Northeast
Division last season with a 29-37-16 record for 74 points.
The team fired general manager Mike O'Connell late last season
and hired Ottawa assistant GM Peter Chiarelli to replace him last
month. One of Chiarelli's first moves was to fire coach Mike
Sullivan and replace him with former Detroit Red Wings coach Dave
Lewis.

Per the agreement between Boston and Ottawa, Chiarelli -- who
does not officially take over the Bruins until July 15 -- wasn't
allowed to advise Boston about any of the Senators free agents.

I remember going into July 1st, 2006 that I wanted Pavel Kubina as I didn't think there was any chance whatsoever of the Bruins getting Chara given their reluctance/inability to acquire the big ticket UFAs. When word came down Chara was headed to Boston I was absolutely floored.

Reactions: McGarnagle

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Good, but should've been great.

Always a piece or two short due to a shitty GM post Chiarelli, and a nasty habit of losing game 7s to inferior teams (MTL in 04, Canes in 09, WSH in 12, MTL in 14, and STL in 19)

I can't lump Philly loss in there despite blowing a 3-0 lead. That team was injured, had a mediocre roster to begin with, and had no business being up 3-0.

Should've had at least 2 cups.
I second this. 2013 would have been a miracle to beat the Hawks. I’m good with that. 2019 was there for the taking and so was 2014 IMO. That team was good enough to go all the way. Should have had one more Cup over the past decade.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I remember going into July 1st, 2006 that I wanted Pavel Kubina as I didn't think there was any chance whatsoever of the Bruins getting Chara given their reluctance/inability to acquire the big ticket UFAs. When word came down Chara was headed to Boston I was absolutely floored.
I remember being at many Bruins/Senators games in 2005-06.
Chara and Redden terrorized the B's.
I remember turning to my buddy, saying "Imagine if we somehow got THAT guy?".

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I knew the Bruins had interest in Chara, but they always kicked the tires on guys and never landed the big fish. I thought LA was going to outbid us for him (and they did offer him more money). When they did sign him I was totally floored. With Savard I was a lot more skeptical until I saw him get on the ice and play. He was a good player but there were a lot of questions about him, whether he was a real #1 center or a glorified offense-only #2 who was carried by playing with Kovalchuk and Hossa in Atlanta, about his character (I remember people going crazy bringing up an incident where he allegedly bit someone), etc. But he definitely was worth it in the end.

I remember being at many Bruins/Senators games in 2005-06.
Chara and Redden terrorized the B's.
I remember turning to my buddy, saying "Imagine if we somehow got THAT guy?".

For me it was watching the 2006 Olympics where Slovakia paired Chara with then-Bruin Milan Jurcina and me thinking that they'd look mighty nice together in Boston. I don't recall if they paired together much in 2006-07, I think Chara mostly played with Brad Stuart before he got traded then eventually settled in with Aaron Ward as he would for a few years following that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For the record, the Big Bad Boston Bruins with Bobby Orr also were underachievers. It doesn't mean I hate them to say this. It doesn't mean I root against them. It simply means they didn't win enough cups despite the insane amount of talent they had on their rosters at that point. Growing up and seeing this team over the years, you can easily say the 70s era didn't win enough because they had enough talent. The 80s and 90s era with Bourque and Neely didn't have enough talent to get past the talent laden rosters of the Islanders, the Oilers, and the Penguins. So I can't call them underachievers. They overachieved, in fact. The 2000s era the team sucked. The 2010 through now simply haven't achieved enough. They should have won at least one more cup, and arguably 2. That's their legacy. They did it and they need to own it. It's well deserved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad