Speculation: What is Swayman's Trade Value?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is on the GM.
Sweeney is usually a sharp guy, but not this time.
Don't think he gets traded.

Does anyone know why, Swayman annointed himself as the Savior of goaltenders salaries, and is dying on the sword for his brothren?
Going trough the arbitration process is notoriously bad for the long-term relationship between a team and player. I am not necessarily surprised this is evolving the way it has.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Skinner(stuart) + Nurse (some retention) + 1st or 2nd round pick 26/27
Where do you think Nurse (and his salary) would slot in with Lindholm, Zadorov and Lohrei?

Swayman on the Oilers would be filthy... what about Stuart Skinner, Evander Kane, and significant futures?
Mitch Miller situtation, the Lucic situation.... I know some of the more salacious Kane and domestic issue stories have been shaky at best and possibly disproven, but I just don't think that's a headache they want to take on.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Going trough the arbitration process is notoriously bad for the long-term relationship between a team and player. I am not necessarily surprised this is evolving the way it has.
Supposedly one of the comps the B's gave was Dan Vladar. Vladar's resume was 55 games, a GAA close to 3 and a slightly sub .900 save pct.
Whereas Swayman has played like 120 games with much better stats. Swayman publicly accused the team of using false or untrue stats (I infer that he didn't mean the stats themselves were fake but that they weren't a true comparison of the players).

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
At LEAST a late 1st, a nondescript 4th liner faceoff ace, and a player on a multi-year, $4m deal who is arguably the worst player in the league at his position. Probably more.

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
10 mil or + is ridiculous in my mind. I'd give him 8 on a long term contract,( more than he deserves in my mind), less on a short term contract. If he doesn't like it , let him sit out. Don't forget all these ridiculous contracts and increasing caps just get passed on to the fans to pay for it. An average fan can't afford to go to too many or possibly any games and it keeps getting worse. I think GM's have to draw the line at some point and these ridiculous contracts will hurt the team overall. Look at the leafs the last 5 years as an example, 4 ridiculous contracts have left little for the rest of the team and it has showed. Have to admire Yzerman in Detroit, getting most of his stars signed long term around 8 mil. I also think Korpisalo will be a better goalie on the Bruins than Ottawa and Swayman wouldn't be quite as good on a weaker defensive team. Will be interesting to see how Ullmark does with Ottawa this year. Be interesting to see how ready Bussi is as well.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Worry not, Marner does not fit our mold. There are many wingers I would prefer over MM
Would make no sense to be trading in same division anyway. Its either the Bruins sign him or trade him to another team like Utah. Alot teams will be out of competition based on tight or above salary cap. Also, Utah has the picks available if both teams would want to go that direction. Vejmalka + Hayton or McBain + 1st 2025 or 2026(top 10 protected) + 2- 2nd (2026) for Swayman would be fair trade in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: RI.B FAN

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Mitch Miller situtation, the Lucic situation.... I know some of the more salacious Kane and domestic issue stories have been shaky at best and possibly disproven, but I just don't think that's a headache they want to take on.

That's fair tbh.

I was also thinking RNH (instead of Kane) but I don't think Edmonton would be willing to move RNH, and there's no other realistic option for them where the salary works.

Ultimately I think Swayman stays in Boston, but it's just such a match made in heaven for Edmonton, that I tried to find something that may (but ultimately doesn't) work.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Habs offer Montembeault, 2025 1st - Calgary's, and a 2025 2nd - Pittsburgh's..OR B-level winger like Mesar or Luke Tuch.
Value is fine, but I just don’t see a reason to do this from the Habs’ perspective. He’s asking for too much, and we are going to have a lot of young players coming off ELCs in the next few years when our window is opening up - cap space is going to be very valuable. Not to mention, we have Fowler, Dobes, Primeau, Volokhin in the system and of course Montembeault to hold us over until one of them takes the reins. Habs are actually probably the last team that would be interested in this.

Reactions: HuGo Sham and Dog

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
What team has the cap space to pay him what he wants to be paid AND are willing to give up what the Bruins want? Feels like the Bruins would lose a 2nd goalie trade in 3 months if they moved him

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Value is fine, but I just don’t see a reason to do this from the Habs’ perspective. He’s asking for too much, and we are going to have a lot of young players coming off ELCs in the next few years when our window is opening up - cap space is going to be very valuable. Not to mention, we have Fowler, Dobes, Primeau, Volokhin in the system and of course Montembeault to hold us over until one of them takes the reins. Habs are actually probably the last team that would be interested in this.
you're not wrong
;)
But having a young, proven goalie does accelerate the rebuild.
You're correct about money though, it's incredibly unlikely that Hughes wants to pay Swayman CP31 type money with him still on the LTIR books for another 2 years; it blows up the salary structure they're trying to maintain - even with the Laine trade.

If however if he was willing to sign longterm for 8 mill, I would leave that offer on the table and groom fowler to replace him down the line.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
What team has the cap space to pay him what he wants to be paid AND are willing to give up what the Bruins want? Feels like the Bruins would lose a 2nd goalie trade in 3 months if they moved him
Utah would fit nicely. They are not going be push over team like last season. Be nice fresh start and with Swayman could maybe be playoff team(6-8 range). Yes, won't be like the Bruins but he could end up being paid more there.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Here's the challenge I see.....

Jeremy Swayman has 3 years in the league as a true tandem goalie. Over those 3 years, he's averaged a .916 Sv% and 2.41 GAA on a team that most would consider good to excellent defensively.

Over that same time, as copared to other goalies in the league, he's ranked 6th in both Save percentage and GAA. Maybe you "knock him down" a bit because he's only played 122 games over the past 3 years, whereas guys like Saros (195 gp), Oettinger (164gp), Demko (147 gp), Vasilevsky (175 gp), Jarry (156 gp) and Bobrovsky (162 gp) have stats that aren't that much worse than his, and have played much bigger roles.

The B's have $8.5m in cap space... this shouldn't be that difficult. Do $8m x 7, or $7m x 5, and move on?

Given that the sides seem to be so far apart, it would lead me to believe that Swayman doesn't want to bet on himself at all, and wants to secure a $10m x 8 bag. That's a tough pill to swallow for a ton of teams.

I feel like Utah & Anaheim are the only somewhat reasonable targets. If in fact he wants that much money, he basically has to go to a bad team, as they're the only ones that can really bring on that hit, and live with the short term pain in hopes that the cap jumps.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Two options as third option think won't be possible of sitting out the season. Boston signs him or they trade him.

Last edited:

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
We'll offer you Gibson, take it or leave it.

Jokes aside, I am still fairly certain Gibson could become a bonafide number 1 goalie again in a different market and with an actually capable defense in front of him.

Maybe something around Gibson @30% retained plus a B-level prospect like Sidorov could be considered fair value.

Boston gets a proven goalie with a somewhat high probability of bouncing back and rejuvenating his career as well as a prospect that pots goals en masse in juniors but is completely unproven amongst men.

Anaheim gets a great goalie, who can easily mentor Dostal to take over in a few years and some redemption for the lopsided mess that was the Lindholm deal.
Just to move Gibson, Anaheim is adding at least a 1st as multiple years of beloew league average doesn't scream "bouncing back" to anyone but the seller.

Reactions: luiginb

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Bruins aren’t trading him, this is a negotiation and a deal will be struck. Both sides flexing their muscles trying to see who blinks first. Swayman camp will blink first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad