What is Peyton Krebs?

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Like I said with Cozens getting over 60 points at the beginning of a couple seasons ago.. my prediction for 24/25 is I believe Ruff & staff will do their best to give Krebs every opportunity to succeed next season & he will have a bit of a breakout/resurgent year, an all around competitive & fun player & fan favorite on these boards. The kid just sounds so dialed in, & wants to improve, stick up for his teammates, prove doubters wrong & actually loves this city.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Like I said with Cozens getting over 60 points at the beginning of a couple seasons ago.. my prediction for 24/25 is I believe Ruff & staff will do their best to give Krebs every opportunity to succeed next season & he will have a bit of a breakout/resurgent year, an all around competitive & fun player & fan favorite on these boards. The kid just sounds so dialed in, & wants to improve, stick up for his teammates, prove doubters wrong & actually loves this city.
I think this is a realistic hope. What that “bit of a breakout/resurgent year” will look like is anyone’s guess.

There are certainly some who don’t like Krebs and want him moved on from. But I think a larger group (that includes me) doesn’t have an issue with him staying. Their concern is having to rely on him as our 3C in a playoffs or bust season.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think this is a realistic hope. What that “bit of a breakout/resurgent year” will look like is anyone’s guess.

There are certainly some who don’t like Krebs and want him moved on from. But I think a larger group (that includes me) doesn’t have an issue with him staying. Their concern is having to rely on him as our 3C in a playoffs or bust season.
I have absolutely no problem with him staying, but we need a proven 3C/2C (depending on the player).

Reactions: joshjull

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I have absolutely no problem with him staying, but we need a proven 3C/2C (depending on the player).

But Tage and Cozens..

I know, we have two 2Cs and that’s only if Cozens ain’t crappin the bed, too. Tage can score like a 1C, hope Lindy can add defensive awareness but I think he just yells is all, no real strategy.

Anywho, in my nhl ‘23 Krebs is an 86 overall, playing 2nd line over Cozens. So, problem solved, clearly.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But Tage and Cozens..

I know, we have two 2Cs and that’s only if Cozens ain’t crappin the bed, too. Tage can score like a 1C, hope Lindy can add defensive awareness but I think he just yells is all, no real strategy.

Right, because that's all he was doing in Nj. :eyeroll:
Anywho, in my nhl ‘23 Krebs is an 86 overall, playing 2nd line over Cozens. So, problem solved, clearly.

Oooooh kaaay.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
But Tage and Cozens..

Lindy is one of the most respected strategists in the sport. He’s had success implementing multiple styles from defensive shell to run and gun. You don’t coach that long without a deep understanding for the game and how it evolves.

Seems improbable you wouldn’t know that

If you are looking for the guy who yells and has to have his assistants handle X’s and O’s…he’s in Toronto and the meatheads on After the Whistle are still crying themselves to sleep about it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I disagree.

1. He was kept up in the NHL because the GM wanted to show he got a good return for Eichel, even though his development would have been better getting a year or so of AHL time.

2. Granato, although supposedly a "development focused coach" seems to have been unable to develop anything other than "offense by the rush". The skills that Krebs needed work on were never really emphasized.

3. This is sort of an addendum to point 1, but Kreb's play style really requires more physical development (growth, muscle gain, etc.,), which takes time. But he wasn't given that time and was in the NHL too early.

4. Ruff, as a player and coach, is more aligned with what Krebs needs. And honestly is a much better NHL level coach. I'm interested in seeing what he can do with many of the players that stagnated under Granato.

5. We Sabres fans seem to have a history of running players out of town before they are truly ready for the NHL. Much of that is because of 13+ years of futility. And the fact that our coaching staffs have been mediocre (to put it kindly) over the past decade.

6. Krebs had success as a playmaking Center in Juniors, not a goal scorer. But the past few seasons he's been lined up with Girgensons, Okposo, and other 4th line players. He's never really been put in a situation to succeed, other than later last season after Mittelstadt was traded away. It will be useful to see if he can succeed when given a real opportunity this season. (Assuming Buffalo DOES trade or sign a true 4.)

This is all my opinion, of course. I just see the effort Krebs puts in. The kid has a good attitude and effort, and god knows we need more of that, not less.
A couple counterpoints.

1) The idea that Krebs didn’t get a chance until Mitts was traded is simply not true.

-His first season here (21-22) he played 48gms as a top 9 forward. He played with what offensive talent we had outside the top line. He played the highest % of 5v5 shifts with Cozens (41%), hardly at all with Girgs (4%) and only 21% with Okposo.

-His second season (22-23) started with Quinn/Peterka in the mix now. The first 20-25gms Krebs most frequent linemates were Quinn, Peterka, Mitts, VO and occasionally Hino/Cozens. The team was trying to sort out the middle 6. They even moved Mitts to wing to help Krebs chances of grabbing the 3C spot.

Thats roughly 70gms of opportunity for Krebs to establish himself as a middle 6 forward, especially 3C. But he wasn’t able to. It was only then that he was put with Girgs/Okoposo to help clean up his game and keep developing in the NHL.

2) He wasn’t rushed to the NHL

His numbers the season he was acquired. It was his rookie year as a 20/21yr old.

-Sent to Amerks. 18gms 15pts and gets called up. Nothing surprising about that.
-48gms with Sabres. 7g 22pts (12g 38pt pace). Thats the same production Quinn/Peterka had the following year when they were 20/21 year old rookies themselves.
-Back to Amerks for the playoffs. 10gms 11pts (All assists).

There is nothing surprising about a player with those stats starting in the NHL the next season. Thats before factoring in the Sabres development approach which would have guaranteed it. I don’t disgree with posters who feel he might have benefited from more time in AHL. But thats not quite the same thing as saying he was rushed. Which to me implies he showed nothing to warrant him being in the league.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Krebs showed enough to get chances in Buffalo. He got plenty of them and simply hit a wall, or at least a pretty steep hill. He rightfully lost ice time and role to Mittelstadt. He can improve but he just doesn't have the skills to be an impact, middle-six C. He's not a prototype 4C at all, but I've always been willing to see if he can continue to adapt his game with wingers like/sort of like Girgs and Okposo. Settling on him as the Mitts replacement or a guy that has to play up when TT/Cozens get hurt or struggle is just waiving the white flag.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I think he can be a Maccelli type but he won't ever get that opportunity on the Sabres. It's 3C or bust for him.

I think he is on the roster this season and next season, if its as 4C then thats what it is. He wants to be here, he will buy into whatever system we have, he will do whatever he is asked to do. And he will be cheap (2 years, 1.5 per?)

When we made the trade I thought he would be a 3C and penalty killing stud for us. Stay the course...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad