What is Arnold Schwarzenegger's best film?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What is Arnold Schwarzenegger's best film?

• Conan the Barbarian (1982)

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • The Terminator (1984)

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • Commando (1985)

• Predator (1987)

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • The Running Man (1987)

• Red Heat (1998)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Total Recall (1990)

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Kindergarten Cop (1990)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

Votes: 44 38.9%
  • True Lies (1994)

• Jingle All the Way (1996)

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Other

• Total voters

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm watching Predator and thought of asking this. I've not included the obvious joke options, so if you wanted to vote for the one where he gets pregnant or a Terminator from this century then go and have a think about what that says about you.

I got the year for Red Heat wrong, obviously.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Voted for Total Recall, and I think that's my final answer. Maggie, The Terminator, and Last Action Hero were my contenders.

Reactions: TCTC

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Voted other (Last action Hero) . Cannot change my vote but I would actally pick Total Recall.

Total Recall
Last Action Hero
Twins ( yet another unavailable pick !!!!)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm watching Predator and thought of asking this. I've not included the obvious joke options, so if you wanted to vote for the one where he gets pregnant or a Terminator from this century then go and have a think about what that says about you.

I've never seen Jingle All The Way, but it holds a 20% (46 reviews) on Rotten Tomatoes

Terminator 3 holds a 70% (216 reviews)

Jingle All The Way made 129.8 million at the box office

Terminator 3 reached 433.4 million

Have a think about what that says about you that you included a Christmas comedy co-starring Sinbad among the options instead of Terminator 3...

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Total Recall. Followed by T2 and The Running Man. Would’ve put Running Man first but his dialogue in the chopper scenes are bad lol.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Terminator 2 is the best movie-movie on the list. True Lies is my favorite “Arnold” movie, where there’s a ton of hokey action and dialogue that rounds off into a really fun time.

Also, who the hell doesn’t like Jingle All the Way??? Classic family Christmas comedy.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Terminator 2 is the best movie-movie on the list. True Lies is my favorite “Arnold” movie, where there’s a ton of hokey action and dialogue that rounds off into a really fun time.

Also, who the hell doesn’t like Jingle All the Way??? Classic family Christmas comedy.
Jingle All the Way is terrible but it has Phil Hartman in it and the line "it wasn't me, the pavement was his enemy" so I wanted to include something different.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

I think you'll have to do threads for the other action stars now....

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He has a surprisingly strong set of enjoyable movies.

Predator, Running Man, True Lies, Total Recall, they hold up fairly well.

His best performance in my opinion was in True Lies. He really played a bit more of a complex character as opposed to a mildly charismatic tough guy. Twins was a film where you could tell he enjoyed being given a little range.

True Lies may also be his -best- movie. But it's James Cameron and he does good action movies - they are slick and well-planned and executed. They may be a bit tropey and derivative, but they are the top of that particular heap.

But personally I think Predator is my favorite film of his. It's got such a compelling mood and it's a great slow-burn.

Like the best action movies, it establishes all the characters and their skillsets well and very quickly so you like them enough to be more horrified by what is done to them. Alien and Aliens did this well. Die Hard. For B movies, Great Big Sea. Not a faceless sea of henchmen.

Such a subtle use of science-fiction. The less you knew about the Predators, the more mysterious and unfathomable they were, more of a HP Lovecraft unknowable horror. That's the downside of turning these films into franchises. People shoehorn all kinds of knowledge later into the film that wasn't there when it was made.

I watch it every so often and I'm never disappointed.

I loved Terminator 2 but mainly when it came out. It was huge. It was the entire summer. (James Cameron again).

But it hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped. It's less timeless and more awkward. The slang is overused so it sounds like an after school special.

By the time I saw Last Action Hero, I assumed it was the Ishtar of its time, but I really enjoyed it and I don't really get why it was so badly reviewed. The digs at the tropes in action movies are pretty funny.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
He has a surprisingly strong set of enjoyable movies.

Predator, Running Man, True Lies, Total Recall, they hold up fairly well.

His best performance in my opinion was in True Lies. He really played a bit more of a complex character as opposed to a mildly charismatic tough guy. Twins was a film where you could tell he enjoyed being given a little range.

True Lies may also be his -best- movie. But it's James Cameron and he does good action movies - they are slick and well-planned and executed. They may be a bit tropey and derivative, but they are the top of that particular heap.

But personally I think Predator is my favorite film of his. It's got such a compelling mood and it's a great slow-burn.

Like the best action movies, it establishes all the characters and their skillsets well and very quickly so you like them enough to be more horrified by what is done to them. Alien and Aliens did this well. Die Hard. For B movies, Great Big Sea. Not a faceless sea of henchmen.

Such a subtle use of science-fiction. The less you knew about the Predators, the more mysterious and unfathomable they were, more of a HP Lovecraft unknowable horror. That's the downside of turning these films into franchises. People shoehorn all kinds of knowledge later into the film that wasn't there when it was made.

I watch it every so often and I'm never disappointed.

I loved Terminator 2 but mainly when it came out. It was huge. It was the entire summer. (James Cameron again).

But it hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped. It's less timeless and more awkward. The slang is overused so it sounds like an after school special.

By the time I saw Last Action Hero, I assumed it was the Ishtar of its time, but I really enjoyed it and I don't really get why it was so badly reviewed. The digs at the tropes in action movies are pretty funny.
I'd propose Maggie as his best performance by quite the margin. Otherwise a pretty terrible actor (just watched Fubar, just... why?), but like everybody else over 30 or so, I just can't dislike the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad