What if we get Dahlin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
As for Dahlin, as good as he is, I don't see him being an elite #1 right off the bat. Probably by the end of the year. So the plan should be to go all in for Seguin instead :sarcasm:

we had a chance at an elite D in sergachev and gave him up for a bag of pucks,

dahlin is not going to be a saviour....and this is all moot anyway because we aint getting him

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I would really like to hear an argument against tanking from the usual suspects, in the event that we get Dahlin.

Why not try to get Hughes/Lafrenière?

Hughes would solve so many issues, it’s not even funny. Lafreniere as well despite being a winger, though that draft is two years away. I don’t know if my sanity can take effectively 3 years of suckitude. 4 years (within a 5-year period) when you factor in 2015-2016.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Looking back at guys like Ekblad, Jones, Hedman, Doughty were all good players even at 18, but they weren't guys who were that elite #1 D. So the expectation with Dahlin should be 2-3 years (Possibly longer) for him to become that #1 D.

So if we do win the lottery our goal should be to build the team so that our cup window opens up in 2-3 years. And I don't think we could count on more high picks coming our way since we probably be in the playoff race. You'd also want some kind of balance between vets and young guys.

That means in order to address the forward issues (Center), it would have to be through trades or signing Tavares. I don't think a Stastny level player is a big enough difference maker as a #1 C. So it probably means trading either Weber or Petry, which I can't see Bergevin doing.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
we had a chance at an elite D in sergachev and gave him up for a bag of pucks,

dahlin is not going to be a saviour....and this is all moot anyway because we aint getting him

Classic over rating of a guy we traded and under-rating of a guy we got. Let's give it one more year before we write this in stone.

I don't disagree that it was a bad trade but y our terminology is way off.

Calling Sergachev an Elite D? We must be losing our definition of what an elite D is. A very good defenseman yes, a top 4 definitely, a potential top pairing yep, elite? Not yet.

Calling Drouin a Bag of Pucks? Woah now, woah, woah, woah. Did he have a bad season? Yes. Does he have alot to learn still? Yes. Is he under 25, you bet. Was this his first year at center, yes, did it go well? No. Is he a top 6 player? Definitely. Is he a potential top 3? Yep. A bag of pucks? Nope.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
why would anybody give you that for somebody who has never played one game in north america?

I’ll answer this seriously. While I think words such as generational may be a little premature for Dahlin, he certainly has all the tools to be a true franchise player. You can’t compare him to Sergachev as Dahlin is on a different stratosphere.

This was a 17 year old, now an 18, playing in a men’s league, making fools of them.

No way Edmonton or Toronto do it of course, but unless I hear names like McDavid or Matthews being mentioned, I am not trading Dahlin.

Easily the best defensive prospect, North American or not, to come out in YEARS.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Look at Ekblad. He gad a great start but was a bit sheltered. Afterwards he had some growing pains but he seemed to be paning out this year.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
This was a 17 year old, now an 18, playing in a men’s league, making fools of them.

he is making fools of kids though....most of them will never make it to the NHL

thats like saying your the smartest kid out of all the stupid kids

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
he is making fools of kids though....most of them will never make it to the NHL

thats like saying your the smartest kid out of all the stupid kids

?

Kids? I just said he’s playing with men. He plays in the SHL, easily one of the top leagues in all of Europe. Sure, there are some “kids” in the SHL, but the league average age is definitely above 20. This is a pro league, not an amateur league.

This isn’t a kid playing in the CHL, where all three leagues under that umbrella are U20.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Look at Ekblad. He gad a great start but was a bit sheltered. Afterwards he had some growing pains but he seemed to be paning out this year.

Growing pains thanks to concussions. Still made a world of a difference when healthy.

Habs already have a top defender in Weber. He has no partner. You give him a talent like Dahlin, now you have a Top 5 D pairing next year. Petry showed us he can be reliable, just don’t use him as your #1, getting Dahlin changes that, it really pushes Jeff to be a #3, which is what he is. Give him Mete as a partner, now you have a great top 4 that can SKATE. The problem is the bottom pairing.

Yes of course the team has other issues, but to me the biggest difference maker was how garbage the defence was. Weber was hurt and they don’t have a talent like Dahlin. You’re adding two top pairing defenders and (hopefully) a healthy Price. It’s a good start.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
no they don't

that is like saying they have a top goalie in price.....did you actually watch either of them play last season??

You mean the Weber that was injured in Game 1 of the season and only played 26 games, all hurt, yet still managed 16 points? What a garbage player.

Reactions: HankyZetts
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad