What if we get Dahlin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I really highly doubt now that we'll get the first overall pick. I'm guessing one of the 7-14 picks will be top. Always Edmonton or Toronto, Boston, will no doubt have one of the tops

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Where we are, where we will be, where others are, with or without Dahlin and the products of this 2nd round STILL means that we have NO BUSINESS keeping Price and Weber.Their presence will only make us get a worst draft pick to rebuild. And their presence will NOT make us a contender. Any wise people would see this. People should just look at the playoffs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Follow up question: what if we get Svechnikov?

Trade both Patches and Gallagher immediately.

Drouin-Galchenyuk-Svechnikov-Lehkonen-Scherbak-Hudon is a pretty good top 9 set of wingers, all young enough to survive the rebuild and be in their primes when its time to strike.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's the most annoying comment in the world right up there with, "you can't rebuild in Montreal"

Okay, #1
No, of course tanking doesn't work EVERY TIME. Why? Because you need a smart management team in place. You need some bounces to go your way from lottery balls, to puck luck. Sometimes the other tanking teams do it better than you. There's also 31 teams in the league, only one winner every year.

If tanking worked every time, then literally every team would be doing it the minute they got bounced in the first round. Which then, if you have 5 tanking teams, with new teams tanking every year, the math doesn't add up.

You absolutely can rebuild in Montreal. You just have to be up front with the fans about it. Knowledgeable people accept a plan that is well thought out and has a definable strategy. Not something like "get better attitude and more character" and then "if I told you, I would have to kill you."

You can't win the Stanley Cup without a legitimate #1 C. It doesn't happen. Cinderella runs also almost never end up in a Stanley Cup win. The last time I can think of one was the Carolina Hurricanes, they were still a tank team, lead by #1C Eric Staal, and they happened to have the stars aligned where they also met a cinderella team in the Cup Finals.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I would really like to hear an argument against tanking from the usual suspects, in the event that we get Dahlin.

Why not try to get Hughes/Lafrenière?

Forget it. They think they have chances signing JT. They don't realize that our chances are slim to fill in the roster properly with UFAs and trades and that the only way to get the pieces we need is to build a big and strong stock of prospects. No matter if Price and Weber will be done by the time the rebuild is complete. In the span of 3-4 years, we could have much better than those two.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
A rebuild is useless if the drafting and development is still abysmal. High 1sts are helpful, but you also have to nail the rest of your picks. I don't see us doing that with the group in charge.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
A rebuild is useless if the drafting and development is still abysmal. High 1sts are helpful, but you also have to nail the rest of your picks. I don't see us doing that with the group in charge.

A tank or rebuild is exclusively attached to firing everyone in an important position with the Habs for the majority of people here (some still want to keep Timmins but that's about it)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
As for Dahlin, as good as he is, I don't see him being an elite #1 right off the bat. Probably by the end of the year. So the plan should be to go all in for Seguin instead :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad