Speculation: What happens to Pacioretty?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
35yo, put up decent ppg last year with the Caps after his injury rehab but is still without a contract. There have been rumblings of retirement as the offseason draws closer to a close but Pacioretty *seems* to still want to play since he was seeking a contract with WSH. There was some interest last TDL with the Rangers where he didn't waive, and there have been some minor rumblings that the Habs would take him back. Where does he end up? The KHL has already started playing so it's unlikely he goes there. Does he still get an NHL contract? Does he retire? Or does he go to Europe/AHL/Whatever?

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Was pretty much invisible last season, except when he was taking bad penalties. But It’s possible he just needs more time to get up to speed (a la Connor Brown) after his back to back Achilles injuries.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He's 35, turning 36 in November, and hasn't had even close to a full year since the year that ended with Covid.

Can't see anything beyond a PTO type situation, but most likely retirement and enjoy the millions.

Habs won't bring him back that's for sure.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Possibly gets a PTO, or a team suffers an injury, or two in pre-season and signs him.

If that happens expect him to be really bad.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
He's 35, turning 36 in November, and hasn't had even close to a full year since the year that ended with Covid.

Can't see anything beyond a PTO type situation, but most likely retirement and enjoy the millions.

Harvey-Pinard is going to be out 4 months to start the seasons and is a LW just like Pacioretty.

Maybe Montreal could give Patches a look on a PTO.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

If he's over 35 couldn't you give him a games played bonus contract . So only gets paid if he plays so many games

Plus cap strapped teams love these cuz you can push to the next year if you want

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
The thing with Patches was that he needed a huge amount of prep just to play when he was in his prime, he had Montreal haul around an ice tank for him to plunge into between periods. He had to go through huge lengths to just play the game.

I never got the impression that the passion was there. His injury history plus love of his family means I don't think the thought of playing a full 82 excited him.

If he walks away rather than make league minimum, I'd get it.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
He won't be back with the Knights after the country club comments. I think his departure was part of the reason the Knights won.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He’s missed 63% of the games played over the last three seasons due to injury. Yes, you read that right. He has played only 37% of the games over the last 3 seasons. 91 games of a possible 246.

He scored 4 goals in 47 games and averaged not quite a point every other game last year.

He turns 36 years old about a month into the season. Which would probably make him in the top-20 oldest players in the league. Thanks to cap friendly going away, I can’t even give you exactly where he would rank in oldest players in the league.

He’s a little over exactly one year younger than Phil Kessel, who didn’t get a contract at all last year in the NHL. With Kessel it was more because he was just not good anymore. But Pacioretty has a hard time staying on the ice at all anymore, and he’s also not any good in the event he actually gets on the ice.

I am not at all shocked he isn’t signed.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Where does he end up?
elderly_wheelchair_052119getty.jpg

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
He had a good career for a guy who almost got killed by Chara by accident, that some habs fans called in as murder attempt :laugh:. I'm guessing he'll get a PTO still from some club, then get released and retire.

Reactions: YP44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad