Speculation: What happens to Pacioretty?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
35yo, put up decent ppg last year with the Caps after his injury rehab but is still without a contract. There have been rumblings of retirement as the offseason draws closer to a close but Pacioretty *seems* to still want to play since he was seeking a contract with WSH. There was some interest last TDL with the Rangers where he didn't waive, and there have been some minor rumblings that the Habs would take him back. Where does he end up? The KHL has already started playing so it's unlikely he goes there. Does he still get an NHL contract? Does he retire? Or does he go to Europe/AHL/Whatever?
He's 36 years old had a ton of injuries. Imagine he's done

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I mean, I'll link to his pre draft scouting report and you can see why people are frustrated with him nowadays.

"Max Pacioretty is a prototypical power forward in the new NHL with his great frame, long stride and ability to finish around the net. Further increasing his value is his commitment to NCAA hockey factory Michigan. He will fill out and learn to play without the puck before he turns pro. When all of that seasoning is put into place, he should come out as a valuable power forward that can draw penalties and score on the power play.
• HT: 6-2; WT: 203; Shot: Left; Born: 11/20/1988 (New Canaan, Conn.); Final ranking: 16."

Doesn't really sound like the player Vegas or Washington got eh? Instead, they got a high maintenance diva who is a perimeter players. I get there's reasons why that happened (Chara) but it's still disappointing to look at what he became.

Okay, so a player didn't quite fulfill expectations; that happens all the time with prospects. He had some productive seasons, then injuries derailed his career. Perhaps he didn't have the best motor, very common.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I think on right team say edm. With right center and healthy he can hit 20 on 3rd line. Sreen did it on blues. A role transition

What is this post even? Holy homerism.

Suzuki is an all situation player too, he played more of a role in the Habs getting to the finals than Thomas did in the Blues winning the cup (which is fair because Thomas was 19 playing a bottom 6 role at the time).

If you don't see Suzuki and Thomas as being in the same tier of players, that's a homer hill you'll die on.
Um no bro thomas 1c suzuki 2c

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
He's a career 30g / 82 scorer, even 2022-23 in his 5 games for the Canes before injury he scored 3 goals... then 4 goals in 47 games for WSH last season... So the thing that was his thing, was not a thing anymore for him.

Still, I would imagine some GM would still like to give him a shot to see if he can get some scoring touch back. Even last season he was still putting up some points, it's just he was shooting at 4 percent or something. GMs love cheap vets. I think it's up to Pacioretty if he wants to be away from family (or relocate his family) to play hockey for something like league minimum salary.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Okay, so a player didn't quite fulfill expectations; that happens all the time with prospects. He had some productive seasons, then injuries derailed his career. Perhaps he didn't have the best motor, very common.
It's not that he didn't fulfill expectations, being a nearly 40g scorer likely exceeded them, it's how far his game devolved in the grittiness.

Pre Chara, he absolutely would get to the crease and bang in goals. Post Chara, he stopped being a power forward.

Knowing where he came from helps understand where the disappointment comes from. He became softer and more perimeter as his career went along. It's understandable, it's still a bit of a let down knowing who he once was.

Also shows that he's more risk adverse and thinks about his future, breaking your neck does that.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
I would take him on the Canes. Not sure how he feels about the team, but I had high hopes for him and he seemed to be a solid locker room guy. He could at least help the PP.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Player tryout or someone offers him a $1M/1 year contract. A contract they can bury in the AHL (and not count against the cap) if it don't work out.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
PTO. If he can demonstrate that he's recovered from the two Achilles tears, he'll likely get a league min offer. Maybe some bonuses.

Would be nice to see him get to 400 goals. Last couple of years have made that a real challenge.

Reactions: DaveG and zeeto

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Definitely a PTO candidate. Honestly wouldnt be surprised if the leafs send a PTO his was due our lack of depth in the LW now with bertuzzi gone

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
PTO candidate, and if healthy he'll be a bargain for someone.

I thought his development was just more into an offense-first winger than a power forward, but for a late 1st round pick he still exceeded expectations.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
PTO. If he can demonstrate that he's recovered from the two Achilles tears, he'll likely get a league min offer. Maybe some bonuses.

Would be nice to see him get to 400 goals. Last couple of years have made that a real challenge.
400 goals??? he has 330.

He'll need to play 10 seasons to get to 400 based on how awful he was in Washington :laugh:

He is trash. Took bad penalties because he was too slow. His shot is gone and so is his skating.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That body has been through the ringer. The Chara incident, plus a couple devastating Achilles injuries come to mind right off the bat.

Much of his success came from transitional play rather being static which gets harder to maintain with age... combine that with the beating his body has taken, it's no wonder teams are hesitant in the investment.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It's not that he didn't fulfill expectations, being a nearly 40g scorer likely exceeded them, it's how far his game devolved in the grittiness.

Pre Chara, he absolutely would get to the crease and bang in goals. Post Chara, he stopped being a power forward.

Knowing where he came from helps understand where the disappointment comes from. He became softer and more perimeter as his career went along. It's understandable, it's still a bit of a let down knowing who he once was.

Also shows that he's more risk adverse and thinks about his future, breaking your neck does that.

I hear you. He doesn’t deserve the hate he gets though. Injuries changed his career. He didn’t have the character/motor to overcome.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
400 goals??? he has 330.

He'll need to play 10 seasons to get to 400 based on how awful he was in Washington :laugh:

He is trash. Took bad penalties because he was too slow. His shot is gone and so is his skating.
I feel for keyboard warriors that can't read.

Reactions: zeeto

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
At his age and injury history, he's a PTO to probably a contender and that's probably why he hasn't had any news because that's what he wants at this age and I don't blame him or the teams not really lighting up his agent's phone. He's a player that is best signing a bare minimum deal with a ton of incentives based on games he plays given the risk he brings.

He's done. Should retire
He put up a 40pt pace with the Caps after being out for basically a year prior. He had a lot of rust in his game, but I think to a young-ish team that thinks they're on the cusp of being a contender that can also flip him at the TDL, he'd have some value as a PTO and on a 1yr deal heavily incentivized for games, etc.

Or even just go to a team where he knows he'll get some top 6 minutes if he plays well enough and some PP time if he does well, like the Sharks where he can play with Smith or Celebrini if he does well in camp, at this point at 36, his days are numbered, he's maybe got 1 season left in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad