What happened to the once high-powered Stars offense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The Oilers team defense is getting discredited big time in this thread.

People still can't wrap their head around the fact that they are really good defensively since Knoblauch took over, or maybe they just refuse to believe it.
I do because of some of the guys they have on D.

I also believe they had the puck more than Dallas. Which in turn meant less stress on the D. In this series, they will need to overplay McDrai, get great goaltending, and not have guys cost them games outright. If they are going to lose, they need to make the Cats earn it.

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
They met the high powered Edmonton Oilers defense and couldn't get it done, just like the Kings and Canucks, unless Skinner was feeling generous.

Reactions: o98

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
After they beat the Avs, I thought they were a shoe in to beat Edmonton and make the SCF. In retrospect, their poor record at home and not finishing Vegas/Colorado earlier did not help.

Oettinger was fine. But I didn't see great goaltending from him.

4-6 at home in the postseason.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Teams hit bumps in the road especially in the playoffs. The better team did not win just the team with more heart did.
No, the better team won. Outside of Game 6, the Oilers had the better of the play more times than not. This wasn't a little engine that could like the '97 Oilers over the Stars, the Oilers were the better team flat out.

• Haha
Reactions: Unspecified

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Robertson is a streaky scorer. Hintz and Pavelski peaked last playoffs. I knew their run last year was very unlikely to be repeated. Hintz and Pavelski were lights out last years playoffs, not so much this year. Pavelski looks like he’s ready for retirement.
I understand your point... just feel strange to read Pavelski peaking at 38, the year before possible retirement...

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Dallas looked way too unimpressive the entire series for this to be the case in this one
This series they were not good but the rest of the playoffs they were really good for the most part. Edmonton is not better than Dallas in terms of talent overall and goaltending Dallas has a sharp advantage although this series Skinner was better. Our big players didn't step up and its simple as that.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
After they beat the Avs, I thought they were a shoe in to beat Edmonton and make the SCF. In retrospect, their poor record at home and not finishing Vegas/Colorado earlier did not help.

Most did, and if Dallas had played against the Oilers the same way they did against Vegas and Colorado, this thread wouldn't exist.

But their powerplay just went belly-up at the worst time, could not generate anything all series. I don't think either team scored a powerplay goal til either game 3 or 4, which is funny enough on its' own, but from around the midway point of the 1st period of Game 4 Dallas just.....didn't have it.

Jan 13, 2023
This series they were not good but the rest of the playoffs they were really good for the most part. Edmonton is not better than Dallas in terms of talent overall and goaltending Dallas has a sharp advantage although this series Skinner was better. Our big players didn't step up and its simple as that.
Having more overall talent is not a precursor to winning when you're up against McDraiChard, and you said it, Skinner was better (shocking tbh).

If your players can't step up during an entire conference finals, they're just not that good. Hintz's stats prior to his return and Robertson's goal drought bear that out.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

This seems to have been the case the last few years. It is really distressing for those of us (like me) who paid $167, $262, and $304 per ticket. The Finals would have been $457 per seat.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
They got shut down.
I don't see enough people saying this, usually they just say Dallas failed the show up, or some excuse like injuries or point to game and oilers have 10 shots.

Dallas flat out got shut down in every aspect of that series. They had moments of domination, but they were just that moments and they were usually after being dominated in the first period, having a strong second period and then just a regular season style third period.

I know it's tough pill for some people to swallow, to be be shut down by the Oilers playing D because people still think this Oilers team is the team from 2015-2019 and either haven't watch since then, or update their opinion since then. Oilers have evolved and play a strong 2 way game. There is buy in for team defence that simply hasn't happened since probably 2006.

Most did, and if Dallas had played against the Oilers the same way they did against Vegas and Colorado, this thread wouldn't exist.

But their powerplay just went belly-up at the worst time, could not generate anything all series. I don't think either team scored a powerplay goal til either game 3 or 4, which is funny enough on its' own, but from around the midway point of the 1st period of Game 4 Dallas just.....didn't have it.
kind of tells you something doesn't it?

That the other team was better.

Also the Golden Knights get too much respect. They were bad this year and almost missed the playoffs. The Avalanche lacked depth they had in recent years and had bad goaltending. These were not the same teams that won the cups in their respective years.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
:facepalm: . Yea no one can beat the Oilers but the Oilers. What a take.

Lets say the Oilers make the cup final and lose to lets say Florida. Its only because the Oilers beat themselves? What a homer take.
Bro is a clairvoyant

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
Too many Stars players are old and slow.

John

Against Edmonton, the “old guys” Benn and Seguin led the team in points along with Johnston.

Pavelski and Duchene being non factors (0 pts) for guys 0.8 ppg in the regular season really hurt. and Hintz & Robertson only had 1 good game (5 of their collective 6 pts scored)

Benn, 34, had 7 pts
Seguin 32, had 5 pts
Johnston 21 had 5pts
Robertson, 24, had 4 pts
Hintz, 27, had 2 pts (4 games)
Pavelski, 39, had 0 pts
Duchene, 33, had 0 pts
Marchment 28, had 2 pts
Stankoven 21 has 2pts
Steele 26 had 1 pt
Dadanov 35 had 1 pt
Smith 34 had 0 (3 games)