What happened to the once high-powered Stars offense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Yeah but he still had a 67 pts season. Played the whole 82 games as well. Maybe they should've given him time to rest, I don't know. He's been a non-factor since the start.
He had 34 points in his first 35, then 33 in the last 47 after the start of the new year. He was slowing down and even looked worse than the point total the 2nd half of the year. His body is just wearing out. Rest maybe would have helped it a bit but the end of his time is coming anyway. I think thats why pavelski plans to retire even though there is a legitimate shot at 500 goals(he'd only need 24 more when he scored 27 this year) if he played 1 more year.

He kinda knows his body is failing and that if he went one more year it might start to get ugly. It's amazing he played as well as he did for this long.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Pavelski is really old. Benn and Seguin are old as well and feel like yesterday's news. Duchene is Duchene meaning nothing special and never was. Robertson is really sneaky around the net but not overly dynamic or someone who drives play all over the ice. It feels the guy they missed (performance wise) this post-season was Hintz, who's someone who can be that speedy game-breaking presence over multiple zones, I don't know was he injured or something?

This oldness and slowness I guess is supposed to be offset somewhat by these new young guys Wyatt Johnston and Stankoven, but I don't know much about them to comment on it, I don't follow this team slavishly.
Dried up in round 3.
Some teams high powered offense drys up in first round every season .
Stars it was the third.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Duchene: “We have three 1st lines”

Sure you do bud, sure you do.

But HF boards bought the narrative anyways:
Sooooooooo Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppppppp

Reactions: mkatcherin00

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Duchene: “We have three 1st lines”

Sure you do bud, sure you do.

But HF boards bought the narrative anyways:
Sooooooooo Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppppppp

Well they did during the regular season, but half those guys didn't show up consistently in the playoffs unfortunately.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well they did during the regular season, but half those guys didn't show up consistently in the playoffs unfortunately.
And how many times do we need to relearn the lesson that Regular Season means nothing when the playoffs start. Nucks learned the same lesson. As did the Jets.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Edmonton playing very very good hockey, and a mix of the Stars having maybe one too many old guys in their top 9. Hintz dealing with an injury played a factor as well.

But I'm not going to spew out excuses because at the end of the day, Edmonton just was THAT good. I've been giving credit to the Oilers throughout the WCF and I'll continue doing so.

They got a special team and I'm hoping they can finish off Florida. Their organization and fans have gone through a lot of shit since 2006.
You’re too sweet, brother. Hope you guys kill it next year.

1717560005323.gif

Reactions: MBTendy

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Edmonton shut them down. They tilt the ice incredibly which makes it harder to score if constantly defending, coupled with excellent aggressive defensive play.

It’s not simply the case of the Stars players underperforming or offence drying up.

Reactions: Pig Papi

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I disagree. A team without a single PPG player does not have three 1st lines.

However, it might be accurate to say they had three second lines or three scoring lines which sounds a lot less hyperbolic and indicates a well-rounded team that does it by committee rather than a more top-heavy approach like Edmonton's.

Not even the 80's Oilers had three 1st lines.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
He has played 100 games, and 39 yrs old. Tank empty. Every game this year, he's played. Idiotic, when they could have played younger guys toward the last few weeks to spell him, and learn if those guys could play if/when needed in the playoffs. They were getting in the post-season regardless.

The playoff format didn't help them, either. It's no longer a 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc bracket style.

Cold! :laugh:
Dallas would have drawn Vegas in the first round under the old system too.

In the second round they would have got Edmonton who just knocked them out anyway.

I suppose the mental gymnastics here involve the Stars being more tired from playing the powerhouse Avs or something, but that series went 6 and VAN-EDM went 7.

Besides, there was a measly three points separating Colorado and Edmonton in the regular season. This idea that the Avs are a powerhouse is as dated as the idea that the Oilers can't defend.

Reactions: Kerberos

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Who is the Stars PP coach?
I think it's Spott.
But every play offs his teams seem to have a brutal.powerplay. Easy to defend against - Back to the point , throw everything at the net , look for tips and rebounds.
And this year Pavelski was on first unit every time. Mistake.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
And how many times do we need to relearn the lesson that Regular Season means nothing when the playoffs start. Nucks learned the same lesson. As did the Jets.
Canucks won the first round andnthenbwent to game 7 with the oilers putting up a bettee fight than the stars? They had a great season and respectable showing. What lesson did they learn?

Playoffs is hard and requires getting hot at right time as well asnluck. People acting like every team that doesnt win the cup is garbage is just childish.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The media is right. The Stars old guys were too old and their young guys were too young. Literally not a single player in their prime aside from Robertson and Hintz.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Too many old guys, too many games. They looked damn good in the earlier rounds though.
I agree. I was so Cheering for the Stars to beat Vegas in round 1. Thanks for that.

Honestly tho, You guys played a great series. Hell of a game 6

Reactions: Oak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad