Post-Game Talk: What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

• Total voters

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hard to give a good grade when management has basically done nothing of importance since taking over the team. This is still Benning's team.
Well...yeah. Benning was the GM for 8 years. Not sure how fast you were expecting a new GM to turn over a roster that was mostly brought in by the previous regime.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
C, but a C that sounds like a wet fart.

I understand there was no immediacy other than Motte, but they are super underwhelming and something needs to change in the offseason.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hard to really grade. The market seemed really soft, so I'm not upset we didn't move any big pieces for underwhelming returns. The only guy we were on the clock to move was Motte - obviously felt he was worth more than a 4th, but the market clearly didn't. Is what it is.

Once again, ruing our previous regime's piss poor cap management. Some good players were had for pennies on the dollar by teams looking to free up cap.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I gave it a D, trades made were very low key and borderline useless. At least we didn't bring in any overhyped UFAs nor did we give up any assets.

What's more alarming is that our management either don't know or still on the fence about where the team is going. With Miller's contractual status this is not a good sign, if you want to keep Miller, you need to get the team ready for an actual cup run in a year. This may persuade him to stay for a reasonable contract, then you're looking at maybe another 2 years max before Miller starts to decline.

I 100% believe Miller is traded at some point whether in the off season, draft, next year. They'll move Myers out. Next year will be about dumping cap and inefficient contracts. They year after that they'll be making moves to push for playoffs, contention.

Reactions: Indiana

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
C

Glad to have Harmonic gone. And a 3rd in return? Win/win.
3rd for Dermott? We should be gaining picks and not losing them, but Dermott is supposed to have upside. I would have been happier if we were pick fat and not pick thin, though.
Motte for a 4th? Better than nothing, but not much better.
Richardson? I wish I could manage a meh.

So, we gained some cap space, moved up in the 3rd round, dumped f***ing Harmonic, picked up a decent D and an npc and got a measly return for a depth player we stood to lose for nothing. Didn't move any of our anchor contracts or Boeser... added two mid round picks and traded one mid round pick.

Nothing to write home about, but I'm not pissed off either.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I 100% believe Miller is traded at some point whether in the off season, draft, next year. They'll move Myers out. Next year will be about dumping cap and inefficient contracts. They year after that they'll be making moves to push for playoffs, contention.

If this is the route they'll go with I'd be fine with it.

Right now the management still has not given us a sense of where they want the team to go. Perhaps they're just playing their best poker face, unlike that moron JEB who announces what he and his f***ing cat want to do months ahead with a megaphone.

This TDL showed no sense of urgency, so I assume what you said is what they intend to do. Because if they think they can get away with this kind of TDL performance AND having Miller to do a cup run, they are beyond insane.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Solid C. All moves made sense and they gained value while shedding cap in the defensive swap. Nothing great though and the majority of the work remains to be done to fix this cap situation. Given how little happened overall it's likely there just weren't good deals to be had. This will be best judged once we see how the off season goes. I expect a lot to get done at the draft and or after that. I'm going to miss Motte for sure though. All the best to him.

Reactions: Zippgunn

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm not expecting a new roster, but I'm expecting a new regime with 3 months heading into deadline to make more of an impact on an underperforming, overpaid roster than swapping Hamonic for Dermott.
Fair enough. Allvin did the bare minimum.

Problem is there isn't much on the roster worth trading. The only pieces of value are the ones you might actually want to keep.

I'll leave Allvin the offseason at least before passing any considerable judgement. There will be more flexibility in the summer to move around guys like Myers/Dickinson/Poolman, and facilitate a potential Boeser/Miller/Garland trade.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Hard to give a good grade when management has basically done nothing of importance since taking over the team. This is still Benning's team.

It's not the specific roster that makes it "Benning's team", though – they're not going to overhaul it in an instant just to say it's theirs. Rather, it's the 8 offseasons of dicking around to get to that bubble status that was Benning's signature contribution. And that's not on the current management.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
C for me. Nothing very interesting and honestly I'd ALMOST rather just have Motte for a few more months than the 4th.

Hamonic out and Dermott in a big 'meh.'

As MS noted picking up Richardson pointless with farm guys who should have got a shot.

Not a big deal as this offseason/draft will really be where the new front office starts making a mark.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I approve of every trade made. Hamonic for a 3rd was huge, a 3rd for Dermott is neutral (could go either way; see how he does on a new roster), a 4th for Motte is a win as we would have lost him for nothing and similar players went for less (Cogliano, Namestnikov, etc.). My main knock is Motte should have been traded earlier if the return would have been a bit higher.

The main thing is that the Canucks didn't make any panic moves that would be selling some of our prime assets for pennies on the dollar. I am glad management was patient enough to hold off and see if things improve in the offseason as I don't think too much value will be lost. We haven't seen this type of patience and due diligence since the Gillis regime, it's very refreshing and pleasant to see.

I gave them a D more out of mediocrity than anything else. I am just glad no bad moves were made.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
D

"Tyler Myers camp upset with trade talks"

Ya join like 30 other members of the orginization.

Im sure Garlands super pumped at the next 4 years on that deal.

I see more and more today why after years and years and years of WILL HE WAIVE, Alex just said no then hahaha, bye.

Looks like this years trade deadline aftermath bingo piece is.. "Watch media all one by one walk back all the garbage they spewed while kicking the can down the road to offseason".

A city of Eklunds running the media. We will never have nice things.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
This is absolutely a C.

This offseason is extremely important and they do have time to "redeem" themselves with sexier/bigger moves.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Gained some cap flexibility, moved pending ufa Motte, grabbed a defenseman on a good buy-low deal.

I wasn't expecting any big fish to be moved - off season makes more sense for the market.

My expectations were low and management made decisions that were well calculated. Didn't want them to move a big player for a mediocre return just to appease some of our impatient fans.

Gave a B.

Off-season will be the real evaluation for this group. Way bigger decisions need to be made.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
I gave it a D, trades made were very low key and borderline useless. At least we didn't bring in any overhyped UFAs nor did we give up any assets.

What's more alarming is that our management either don't know or still on the fence about where the team is going. With Miller's contractual status this is not a good sign, if you want to keep Miller, you need to get the team ready for an actual cup run in a year. This may persuade him to stay for a reasonable contract, then you're looking at maybe another 2 years max before Miller starts to decline.
I mean, they tried making deals but either didn't like the prices or had their hands tied.

They tried moving Boeser for Marino but Pens said no.

There were lots of discussions about Pearson, but he has a full NTC.

They were talking to LA about Garland, but LA completely lowballed on us.

They talked to NY and TOR about Miller, but TOR refused to include Sandin, and NY probably refused to include Schneider.

They tried to trade Halak, but the guy sucks and there's no market for him.

It's pretty clear management knows pretty damn well which direction they want to go, but they also know that they don't have to make these trades today and they can hold out to the draft.

They wouldn't be in talks with a divisional rival we're trying to catch about Garland if they weren't all in on punting this season.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Theory: Pettersson is about to go back on the shelf for a while?
I'd buy that. I think he's only playing because they had a (small) chance at the playoffs. The smaller that gets I think they shelf him. Probably OEL too.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I would give it a C
Not great not terrible. I understand moving out cap space to free yourself up to be more flexible at the end of the season.

If they couldn't sign Boeser this off-season they would be in a rush to ship him out and would be negotiation from a position of weakness. Since they basically pushed the can down the road till the off-season I'll reserve judgement again for the off-season. I was kind of looking forward for a spicy trade though.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I gave them a D. I think they did a bare minimum, and I'm not convinced they didn't mess up some potential returns doing this "give the core a chance to make the playoffs" BS after this core is granted that privilege every year and never makes the playoffs.

I also don't think the Hamonic trade was some sort of coup like certain members of the media. He is a solid, RH NHL defenseman on a relatively manageable deal, and I wasn't overly surprised with the 3rd. It wasn't like getting a draft pick for Poolman or something.

Also, they didn't get enough salary out the door for my liking.

Reactions: Tact and MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad