Value of: What does Chris Tanev return

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
I don't agree with that. Tanev is 33 whereas Hanifin is in his prime. We will need a top 4 RD to replace him and if Weegar stays on the left side due to trading Hanifin then we are pretty SOL. Calgary should absolutely prioritize extending Hanfin over everyone but Lindholm

As for the OP's question, it would depend on when he's moved and for what type of return. If it's for futures during the summer then probably a few 2nds in value, if it's at the TDL and he's healthy then Orlov level value is definitely a possibility. Could also be moved in a trade for a roster player, something like him + Toffoli for Bratt as a base example (this would assume Bratt extension talks come to a halt).
New Jersey would not trade a 25 year old 70 point winger for two much older players that don’t fit the timeline of their team. Bratt is a core piece, if he’s dealt it’s not for expensive older players on the downturn of their careers

Reactions: Conbon

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
It's sounding like there are two ways we can go with Tanev. We can deal him for less value but gain cap space and a potential mid round pick or 2 in this draft or we can keep him and use him to shelter Kylington as he makes his way back into the lineup.

I think the latter is probably most realistic but if that's the case, cap space is tight and we let Stecher walk and probably pair Zadorov with Weegar on the 2nd pair. We then have to decide at the deadline if we keep him and let him walk in the offseason or try to move him for max value but you're hoping he's not injured.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's sounding like there are two ways we can go with Tanev. We can deal him for less value but gain cap space and a potential mid round pick or 2 in this draft or we can keep him and use him to shelter Kylington as he makes his way back into the lineup.

I think the latter is probably most realistic but if that's the case, cap space is tight and we let Stecher walk and probably pair Zadorov with Weegar on the 2nd pair. We then have to decide at the deadline if we keep him and let him walk in the offseason or try to move him for max value but you're hoping he's not injured.
I kind of see it the same way. I'd set my offseason price at 2 2nds or a 1st. If someone meets it then great. If not deal him for a 1st and 2nd at the TDL. The thing we can't do is be in 6th to 10th place, hold him and lose him for nothing.

We have a aging roster, capped out and we're a bubble playoff team. Smart asset management with the upcoming 7 is critical. Signing them to GOOD contracts or moving them for value is essential. Hanifin is the only one young enough to sign to a full market deal.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
No, I don't think he's a top 3 defenseman in terms of possession. My statement was he was top 10 in possession in 21-22. I do think he's one of the best defensive D in the league and he makes an above average first pass out of the zone.

Not sure where you got anything you posted. I never said what you posted. I don't know why people do that. Take a true statement and pretend you made some abusrd claim to try to win an imaginary argument.

You replied to me, not the other way around,

I was referencing the Calgary can who said he was top 3 after Makar and Heiskanen

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You replied to me, not the other way around,

I was referencing the Calgary can who said he was top 3 after Makar and Heiskanen
Yes replied to someone who said he was top 3 in defensive WAR over the past 3 seasons. You then said he's not top 3 at controlling play. I said he was top 10 in Corsi in 21-22. You're inventing things to argue with and acting like we said he's a top 3 play driver when no one said that except you.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yes replied to someone who said he was top 3 in defensive WAR over the past 3 seasons. You then said he's not top 3 at controlling play. I said he was top 10 in Corsi in 21-22. You're inventing things to argue with and acting like we said he's a top 3 play driver when no one said that except you.

Read page 1 LOLOLOL
Nobody brought up Corsi except you

Above replacement metrics are different
Again you replied to me not the other way around

Ledge And Dairy

New Jersey would not trade a 25 year old 70 point winger for two much older players that don’t fit the timeline of their team. Bratt is a core piece, if he’s dealt it’s not for expensive older players on the downturn of their careers
You are welcome to your own opinion. But calling a 70 point winger making 4.5M and the best shutdown defenseman in the league over the last 3 years also making 4.5M "expensive" is just absurd. For what they provide right now they are both criminally underpaid

Reactions: Nanuuk

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
You are welcome to your own opinion. But calling a 70 point winger making 4.5M and the best shutdown defenseman in the league over the last 3 years also making 4.5M "expensive" is just absurd. For what they provide right now they are both criminally underpaid
You’re welcome to your own opinion as well, but if you think any team is dealing a 70 point 25 year old for one year of a 31 year old winger and one year of a 33 year old defensemen who will need new contracts after one season, it is my opinion that you are out to lunch.

Underpaid or not this season the Devils do not have a 1 year window and trading for older players on the presumed decline is a bad move when they are starting a competitive window. They may be cheap now, but they will not be cheap forever. Teams don’t trade core players for 1 year rentals

Ledge And Dairy

You’re welcome to your own opinion as well, but if you think any team is dealing a 70 point 25 year old for one year of a 31 year old winger and one year of a 33 year old defensemen who will need new contracts after one season, it is my opinion that you are out to lunch.

Underpaid or not this season the Devils do not have a 1 year window and trading for older players on the presumed decline is a bad move when they are starting a competitive window. They may be cheap now, but they will not be cheap forever. Teams don’t trade core players for 1 year rentals
Did a very similar trade not just happen last summer?

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
Did a very similar trade not just happen last summer?
From a much more desperate team with a player who wanted out. Jesper has already come out saying he expects a deal to get done with New Jersey. The GM who made that deal lost his job the next year, i’m sure Tom Fitzgerald and the rest of the GM group chat took notice of how that particular deal ended up working out for the Flames.

Remember the Ryan Oreilly offer sheet that got Jay Feaster fired? When GM’s make mistakes, other teams tend to notice and not repeat those errors.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
With Kylington coming back next year, Weegar playing far better on the right side and ideally we can bring back Stecher for a cheaper cap hit than Tanev's 4.5M to play 3rd pair RD, Tanev is the obvious player to move if the Flames want to shed some cap and gain some assets.

Tanev is still absolutely a premier shutdown D its just inefficient roster construction to relegate him to 3rd pair minutes especially when in a cap crunch.

What is Tanev worth in the offseason? I think we could get more for him at the deadline when his type is more sought after but maybe someone would make it worthwhile to move him now. Keep in mind the Flames also do not retain on deals.

My projected Dcore for reference (without Tanev)

Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Weegar
Zadorov - Stecher
Gilbert - Stone

Oilers are interrested.
Broberg or Ceci + something.

Ledge And Dairy

From a much more desperate team with a player who wanted out. Jesper has already come out saying he expects a deal to get done with New Jersey. The GM who made that deal lost his job the next year, i’m sure Tom Fitzgerald and the rest of the GM group chat took notice of how that particular deal ended up working out for the Flames.

Remember the Ryan Oreilly offer sheet that got Jay Feaster fired? When GM’s make mistakes, other teams tend to notice and not repeat those errors.
If you bothered to read my original post the. It says "negotiations fall apart." I am assuming entirely under the pretext that it's a 1 year deal to UFA or he's moved.

I haven't heard a thing about him coming out and saying he expects a deal to get done.

Treliving wasn't fired. He was literally offered a contract extension and refused because of issues with Sutter. Get your facts right before you try to make a point.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
If you bothered to read my original post the. It says "negotiations fall apart." I am assuming entirely under the pretext that it's a 1 year deal to UFA or he's moved.

I haven't heard a thing about him coming out and saying he expects a deal to get done.

Treliving wasn't fired. He was literally offered a contract extension and refused because of issues with Sutter. Get your facts right before you try to make a point.
Proof of Bratt’s comments:

Proof of Treliving leaving as a “mutual decision”, why would he leave because of issues with Sutter when Sutter would end up fired? Yes he was offered an extension “earlier from ownership”

I read your post, I know you said if negotiations fall apart, that doesn’t mean your trade offer wasn’t completely bonkers buddy. The Devils would be able to get much more for Bratt than 2 older players on expiring contracts. But, I’ve already spent enough time with this, cheers to you, enjoy your day

Ledge And Dairy

Proof of Bratt’s comments:

Proof of Treliving leaving as a “mutual decision”, why would he leave because of issues with Sutter when Sutter would end up fired? Yes he was offered an extension “earlier from ownership”

I read your post, I know you said if negotiations fall apart, that doesn’t mean your trade offer wasn’t completely bonkers buddy. The Devils would be able to get much more for Bratt than 2 older players on expiring contracts. But, I’ve already spent enough time with this, cheers to you, enjoy your day

Thank you for the update on Bratt.

Sutter was literally just signed to a 2 year 8 M extension. There was zero indication at the time that he was going to be fired. It wasn't until after Treliving left that Malony looked into the situation revolving around Sutter via team and other staff.

A "mutual parting of ways" goes like this. Ownership offers GM an extension, GM declines and says he wants to pursue his career elsewhere (in this particular situation it was revealed that there was discord between him and the HC), ownership says we understand and agrees to move on. You initially said he was fired, which is completely wrong, now you are back pedalling

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad