Value of: What does Chris Tanev return

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Big difference between Orlov and Tanev. Orlov was also a UFA and Washington had the capacity to retain as well.

Isn't Calgary wanting to move Tanev for cap space?

Different situations. The guys I listed were traded in the off-season.
Big difference as in Tanev is way better?

Ledge And Dairy

Big difference between Orlov and Tanev. Orlov was also a UFA and Washington had the capacity to retain as well.

Calgary needs to clear ~1.5M cap space and have 3 NHL ready goalies. Moving Tanev for that cap space is overkill. Only reason to consider moving him is if the value coming back is worthwhile

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
31 y/o Dmitri Orlov went for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and middle 6 roster player on an expiring contract.

There is a difference between a team trying to dump 4-5M in cap space and a team trading trading the best defensive defenseman over the last 3 seasons

You’re comparing off-season trade value to trade deadline trade value. They are not equivalent.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
11th for 16th and Tanev. Re-sign for life and pretend these past few years never happened.

I’d do that lol

Unless there is someone really worth moving up for the group between like 7-18 is pretty up in the air, Reinbacher would be the only one and I don't think he'll still be on the table by then. There is almost always a defense that gets drafted in the top 10 and he's the best one going into the draft
Canucks could even throw in a prospect like Rathbone, Jurmo, Silovs, etc.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
There's no way Vancouver can make a deal unless it includes you guys taking back Myers, Garland, Boeser, Beauvilliier

Not saying those players all hold similar value, but those would make the money work.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks could even throw in a prospect like Rathbone, Jurmo, Silovs, etc.

We all love Tanev, and we’re mad he walked, but reacquiring him for that package wouldn’t be good.

If the Flames wanted a top 6 winger back, and a prospect, I’d do that. We don’t need to bring on more cap without giving any back.

I also don’t want to go from 11 to 16. I think that’ll be a bigger swing than people think when all is said and done.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
We all love Tanev, and we’re mad he walked, but reacquiring him for that package wouldn’t be good.

If the Flames wanted a top 6 winger back, and a prospect, I’d do that. We don’t need to bring on more cap without giving any back.

I also don’t want to go from 11 to 16. I think that’ll be a bigger swing than people think when all is said and done.
He didn't walk, he was let go.

Nucks biggest need would be filled overnight. The PK, and a proven legit partner for Hughes. We would have aquired 2 of the top 20 RD in the league in a matter of months, while still having a non playoff teams 1st.

At that point the roster is looking real nice, and buyouts should be on the table.

Name him captain as well, to pass on to Hughes should he extend in 3 years.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Calgary's window to go into a rebuild was last off season., they chose to not rebuild. Flames had a terrible season where everything went wrong but they should have made the playoffs and probably will next year. Flames are built to get in the playoffs, if that is the goal then you don't trade Tanev unless you are out of it at the deadline.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
With Treliving (for better or for worse, probably the latter) to be named Leafs GM, what’s the cost?

28th overall?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Defensively absolutely, he's been top 3 in defensive WAR 3 years in a row. And the only guy to finish top 5 in all 3 years

Defensively
that doesnt mean one controls the play completely 5v5
if you were looking at some of the top season for above replacement metrics he is not top 3 or top 10 the past 2 seasons

he finished top 10 in the covid divisions

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Calgary's window to go into a rebuild was last off season., they chose to not rebuild. Flames had a terrible season where everything went wrong but they should have made the playoffs and probably will next year. Flames are built to get in the playoffs, if that is the goal then you don't trade Tanev unless you are out of it at the deadline.

They really shouldn't have. They definitely had the ability to, but I've never seen a team give away points like they did.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Different situations agreed. Similar value players. The question the Flames have to answer is whether the increased return at the TDL is worth not having the cap space and the extra pick/prospect you'll get then. If he's worth a 1st OR 2 2nds now I take it. If he's not, I roll the dice and go for the 1st and 2nd I'll get at the deadline if he's healthy.

Defensively
that doesnt mean one controls the play completely 5v5
if you were looking at some of the top season for above replacement metrics he is not top 3 or top 10 the past 2 seasons

he finished top 10 in the covid divisions
He was absolutely top 10 in 21-22. Calgarys top 4 was the best in the league analytically that year. Definitely passed the eye test. He had a hodgepodge of partners this year. He plays better with a skater like Kylington or Hanifin.

Reactions: SEALBound

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah. We can't afford to move Tanev. I'd rather try and re-sign him
That is why fans shouldn't be GMs. Are we learning nothing from our years of bad contracts to players who used to have value? Cash out on him and Toffoli for a certainty. Loved both guys and the value we got out of the deals. Won't like their next contracts.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Different situations agreed. Similar value players. The question the Flames have to answer is whether the increased return at the TDL is worth not having the cap space and the extra pick/prospect you'll get then. If he's worth a 1st OR 2 2nds now I take it. If he's not, I roll the dice and go for the 1st and 2nd I'll get at the deadline if he's healthy.

He was absolutely top 10 in 21-22. Calgarys top 4 was the best in the league analytically that year. Definitely passed the eye test. He had a hodgepodge of partners this year. He plays better with a skater like Kylington or Hanifin.

So you actually think he is a top 3 defenceman at controlling play 5v5?

In above replacement he was 11th in 21/22
And was 47th this season

There is nothing that backs up he is a top 3 defenceman in the league behind Makar and Heiskanen with his 5v5 play currently

Defensively he is elite you can make that case 5v5
Offensively though is a different story

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
He didn't walk, he was let go.

Nucks biggest need would be filled overnight. The PK, and a proven legit partner for Hughes. We would have aquired 2 of the top 20 RD in the league in a matter of months, while still having a non playoff teams 1st.

At that point the roster is looking real nice, and buyouts should be on the table.

Name him captain as well, to pass on to Hughes should he extend in 3 years.
I love Tanev, but he’s 34 years old next season. He’s a short term solution at best, and I don’t want to pay considerable value for a short term solution.

After next season, if he’s still playing at a moderate to high level, let’s bring him home as a UFA. I don’t want to trade a bunch of value to bring him in next season.

If the Flames wanted to trade a defenseman for a younger winger, or something like that, then sure, let’s do it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So you actually think he is a top 3 defenceman at controlling play 5v5?

In above replacement he was 11th in 21/22
And was 47th this season

There is nothing that backs up he is a top 3 defenceman in the league behind Makar and Heiskanen with his 5v5 play currently

Defensively he is elite you can make that case 5v5
Offensively though is a different story
No, I don't think he's a top 3 defenseman in terms of possession. My statement was he was top 10 in possession in 21-22. I do think he's one of the best defensive D in the league and he makes an above average first pass out of the zone.

Not sure where you got anything you posted. I never said what you posted. I don't know why people do that. Take a true statement and pretend you made some abusrd claim to try to win an imaginary argument.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
You're assuming he would he moved in the offseason

I’m assuming nothing of the sort. I don’t have a dog in this fight. But it’s pretty widely known that values change at different times of the season.

Kevin Fiala was traded for Brock Faber and a 1st in the off-season.
Viktor Arvidsson was traded for a 2nd and a 3rd in the off-season.
Tanner Jeannot was traded for almost a whole draft class at the deadline.
Ben Chiarot was traded for a 1st, a 4th and Smilanec at the deadline in 2022.

These are just some examples. People overpay at the TDL but that value is simply not equivalent to off-season trades

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad