Value of: What does Chris Tanev return

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
With Kylington coming back next year, Weegar playing far better on the right side and ideally we can bring back Stecher for a cheaper cap hit than Tanev's 4.5M to play 3rd pair RD, Tanev is the obvious player to move if the Flames want to shed some cap and gain some assets.

Tanev is still absolutely a premier shutdown D its just inefficient roster construction to relegate him to 3rd pair minutes especially when in a cap crunch.

What is Tanev worth in the offseason? I think we could get more for him at the deadline when his type is more sought after but maybe someone would make it worthwhile to move him now. Keep in mind the Flames also do not retain on deals.

My projected Dcore for reference (without Tanev)

Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Weegar
Zadorov - Stecher
Gilbert - Stone

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
With Kylington coming back next year, Weegar playing far better on the right side and ideally we can bring back Stecher for a cheaper cap hit than Tanev's 4.5M to play 3rd pair RD, Tanev is the obvious player to move if the Flames want to shed some cap and gain some assets.

Tanev is still absolutely a premier shutdown D its just inefficient roster construction to relegate him to 3rd pair minutes especially when in a cap crunch.

What is Tanev worth in the offseason? I think we could get more for him at the deadline when his type is more sought after but maybe someone would make it worthwhile to move him now. Keep in mind the Flames also do not retain on deals.

My projected Dcore for reference (without Tanev)

Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Weegar
Zadorov - Stecher
Gilbert - Stone

The more likely to go is Hanifin, he is younger, better and has more value.

Ledge And Dairy

The more likely to go is Hanifin, he is younger, better and has more value.
I don't agree with that. Tanev is 33 whereas Hanifin is in his prime. We will need a top 4 RD to replace him and if Weegar stays on the left side due to trading Hanifin then we are pretty SOL. Calgary should absolutely prioritize extending Hanfin over everyone but Lindholm

As for the OP's question, it would depend on when he's moved and for what type of return. If it's for futures during the summer then probably a few 2nds in value, if it's at the TDL and he's healthy then Orlov level value is definitely a possibility. Could also be moved in a trade for a roster player, something like him + Toffoli for Bratt as a base example (this would assume Bratt extension talks come to a halt).

Reactions: Nanuuk

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Why does everyone want to trade Hanifin? The guy will be a top pair D for another decade. If he wants to sign a Weegar deal then it’s a no brainer for me. The Flames D is elite and should be kept together.

Kylington is no guarantee he’ll be a top 4 guy after a year off. I took a year off competitive hockey and was dog shirt when I came back.
Zadorov should be no higher than 4D on this team.

If someone gives a late first for Tanev, sure move him. If not, he’ll be very sought after at the deadline.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Penguins could be interested potentially.

Would a swap for Granlund make sense? Could provide a nice playmaking asset to the 3rd line to pair with Kadri and Coleman?

Bond

May 10, 2012
Penguins could be interested potentially.

Would a swap for Granlund make sense? Could provide a nice playmaking asset to the 3rd line to pair with Kadri and Coleman?
Flames can’t take on cap really. I’m guessing Tanev would get traded for a couple of 2nds or something

Why does everyone want to trade Hanifin? The guy will be a top pair D for another decade. If he wants to sign a Weegar deal then it’s a no brainer for me. The Flames D is elite and should be kept together.

Kylington is no guarantee he’ll be a top 4 guy after a year off. I took a year off competitive hockey and was dog shirt when I came back.

If someone gives a late first for Tanev, sure move him. If not, he’ll be very sought after at the deadline.
Bouwmeester syndrome. He doesn’t stand out at all and that makes people think he sucks

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Flames can’t take on cap really. I’m guessing Tanev would get traded for a couple of 2nds or something

Bouwmeester syndrome. He doesn’t stand out at all and that makes people think he sucks
He’s always been Bouwmeester 2.0 for me. Yeah he’s not great offensively but he chips in. 5 on 5 he controls the game as good as anyone not named Heiskanen or Makar imo.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Fair enough, wonder if you could get a third party involved? That said, a pair of seconds is a steep price for him. I'd say MAYBE one 2nd but more likely a third and a late pick. And probably not a 2nd from this draft either.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He's a deadline move if you can't get a 1st for him this off-season.

Far worse players routinely go for 1st's every deadline. He's still one of the best shutdown dmen in the game today.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Fair enough, wonder if you could get a third party involved? That said, a pair of seconds is a steep price for him. I'd say MAYBE one 2nd but more likely a third and a late pick. And probably not a 2nd from this draft either.
Your valuation of Tanev is insultingly low

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Your valuation of Tanev is insultingly low
26yo Devon Toews went for 2 2nds. 25 yo Ryan Graves went for a 2nd and a nothing prospect.

So I mean, pump the breaks a tad. I would have said he had value similar to Dumoulin. Pens fans agree that a 2nd was fine.

Not trying to be insulting, trying to be realistic based on historical values other discussion benchmarks.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Hanifin is not signing any Weegar deal, as he’s much younger.

he’s one year from UFA. Posters suggest trading him as he’ll bring back younger assets unless he signs a reasonable extension.

Flames need to cut some cap. He’s a likely place to do it.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I think he is the type of guy GMs will overpay for. He is one of the best shutdown Dmen when he is healthy. If wasn’t injured so often I would be happy if he re-signed with the Flames

Reactions: CF84 and SEALBound

Ledge And Dairy

26yo Devon Toews went for 2 2nds. 25 yo Ryan Graves went for a 2nd and a nothing prospect.

So I mean, pump the breaks a tad. I would have said he had value similar to Dumoulin. Pens fans agree that a 2nd was fine.

Not trying to be insulting, trying to be realistic based on historical values other discussion benchmarks.
31 y/o Dmitri Orlov went for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and middle 6 roster player on an expiring contract.

There is a difference between a team trying to dump 4-5M in cap space and a team trading trading the best defensive defenseman over the last 3 seasons

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hanifin is not signing any Weegar deal, as he’s much younger.

he’s one year from UFA. Posters suggest trading him as he’ll bring back younger assets unless he signs a reasonable extension.

Flames need to cut some cap. He’s a likely place to do it.
50 million guaranteed is not east to turn down I’m.

He might not sign but I’m absolutely trying to sign him before we trade him.

If we trade Hanifin for a mystery box we are looking for another top pair LD with nothing in the system that can replace him. Poirier is at best a second pair D 5 on 5/PP guy.

I’d do that lol
Why not just wait until the deadline when he’s worth a first+?

Bond

May 10, 2012
Unless there is someone really worth moving up for the group between like 7-18 is pretty up in the air, Reinbacher would be the only one and I don't think he'll still be on the table by then. There is almost always a defense that gets drafted in the top 10 and he's the best one going into the draft
Yeah. I’m also a little worried about him being injured at the deadline. I think it’d cost a couple seconds to move up 5 spots in this draft though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
31 y/o Dmitri Orlov went for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and middle 6 roster player on an expiring contract.

There is a difference between a team trying to dump 4-5M in cap space and a team trading trading the best defensive defenseman over the last 3 seasons
Big difference between Orlov and Tanev. Orlov was also a UFA and Washington had the capacity to retain as well.

Isn't Calgary wanting to move Tanev for cap space?

Different situations. The guys I listed were traded in the off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad