What do you think will/should happen with Ullmark at this point?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you think will/should happen with Ullmark at this point?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
What do you think will, and should, happen with Ullmark now that we have reached June 22 with no move yet? Whatever combination of choices reflect your thinking.

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
The info Dom has shared about Ottawa is pretty interesting. It would surprise me a fair amount if they bring back a high draft pick or what we would consider a haul from the Sens... but you never know. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Gordoff

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
He will be moved but to a team of his liking not the Bruins. Bruins will be lucky to get a first for him.

Hope they do, but really these things come to fruition

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So what are the odds an off the board team swoops in and turns the tables? I’m not saying it will be The Wild…obviously but…like what if The Wild roll in and we wake up and we have Marco Rossi or something.

Just wondering if this has gone on long enough where there’s a surprise coming. There’s no selection for that…

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't like these poll options because if we are stuck with Ullmark its because he decides to stick it to a team that helped him win a Vezina only for him to let down in the playoffs. Other goalies are getting huge returns this offseason. Won't be on Sweeney at all.

I'm voting top option though. Bussi would be a better backup for Swayman so we gain nothing bringing him back.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Chychrun will be the return .
I think this is a definite strong possibility.

Not trading him at all would be dumb imo as we'd lose Bussi to waivers and then be screwed the year after.

The question mark however, could be Swayman's contract. Will he want more if Ullmark is gone? Will he want too much? Who the heck knows. Just get it done.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So what are the odds an off the board team swoops in and turns the tables? I’m not saying it will be The Wild…obviously but…like what if The Wild roll in and we wake up and we have Marco Rossi or something.

Just wondering if this has gone on long enough where there’s a surprise coming. There’s no selection for that…
I would love Rossi ♥️♥️

I think that would fall under option 1

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I know you said not necessarily MIN, but 1) they don't have cap room for this move 2) I can't see them committing to 5 years of Ullmark with Wallstedt in the pipeline 3) I don't think any team is going to deal a young C for a goalie.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Off the board scenario ... Ullmark plus will be traded after Swayman is resigned sometime after this year's draft, maybe after july 1st. The return being a roster player, prospect, and a first round pick in 2025.

If it's Ottawa they keep both first round picks this year but will not have their own picks in 25 or 26. Giving them time for improvement creating lower first round picks then their own this year and the opportunity to recoup a first in one of those other years with some other deal.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
This is like betting on wrestling whereas the writers and wrestlers already know the outcome - they don’t get Ullmark to agree to go to Ottawa with all the heeing and hawing and then negotiate a deal with the Bruins at serious disadvantage

Looking at What Ottawa can give up and Boston needs the 25OA is most logical, then Ostapchuk looking at the potential losses of LW/C DeBrusk, Heinen & Frederic between now & next July, and Forsberg with 25-50 % retained (and I got 0.0 problem with this especially if there is retainment)

Those seem pretty easy to me

I do think Lauko probably goes and makes sense - and Chychrun would be very exciting to me and others - and could be the catalyst for another deal

The two I pick coming are 25OA & Forsberg

The wild card is Ostapchuk or Chychrun and of course something we really didn’t see happening like Grieg

Donny throw us a freaking bone will yah….

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
This is like betting on wrestling whereas the writers and wrestlers already know the outcome - they don’t get Ullmark to agree to go to Ottawa with all the heeing and hawing and then negotiate a deal with the Bruins at serious disadvantage

Looking at What Ottawa can give up and Boston needs the 25OA is most logical, then Ostapchuk looking at the potential losses of LW/C DeBrusk, Heinen & Frederic between now & next July, and Forsberg with 25-50 % retained (and I got 0.0 problem with this especially if there is retainment)

Those seem pretty easy to me

I do think Lauko probably goes and makes sense - and Chychrun would be very exciting to me and others - and could be the catalyst for another deal

The two I pick coming are 25OA & Forsberg

The wild card is Ostapchuk or Chychrun and of course something we really didn’t see happening like Grieg

Donny throw us a freaking bone will yah….
I would do Ostapchuk one for one, Let the flyers clean up Ottawa cap mess

Reactions: Gordoff and DKH

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
I have never heard of Ostapchuk until this rumor started. Why are people so high on him? His stats aren't amazing so what am I missing?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I have never heard of Ostapchuk until this rumor started. Why are people so high on him? His stats aren't amazing so what am I missing?
I own him in a SIM League and been following him a long time and very carefully

He was also with Lysell his one year in WHL Vancouver Giants

His floor is solid third liner - responsible, tough, honest, good hands - guys like this you win with

I think he eventually plays higher in a few years as he hits mid 20’s

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Gotta get 25 & Ostapchuk, agree

Then at 25 hope Jett Luchanko RC from Guelph is there

Going to be a star second line center would be a favorite here - and fast
Just don't see Ottawa giving up a first wo us taking back money.

I personally would rather use the cash we gained on signing more fa forwards

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
From Saturday,

Flyers might have right pieces to trade for the Bruins’ Linus Ullmark before the NHL Draft​

By Kevin Paul Dupont Globe Staff,Updated June 22, 2024, 9:55 a.m.

Bruins goalie Linus Ullmark goaltender could be on the move soon, and the Flyers have pieces to put a deal together.
Bruins goalie Linus Ullmark goaltender could be on the move soon, and the Flyers have pieces to put a deal together.DERIK HAMILTON/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Five weeks after steering their Zamboni into Causeway’s summer storage shed, the Bruins now head to Las Vegas for what could be an impactful few days alongside the 31 other NHL clubs gathered for the Friday-Saturday entry draft at the dazzling Sphere entertainment complex.
For the Bruins, the draft itself portends to be a low-event affair as general manager Don Sweeney is without a pick to make until Saturday’s fourth round (No. 121). That could change, and dramatically, if Sweeney opts to move roster parts, including the long-rumored trade of goalie Linus Ullmark.
Ullmark has one season remaining on the four-year/$20 million pact he signed upon his arrival as a free agent in July 2021. With such a limited term left on his deal, it’s highly unlikely, though not out of the question, that a club would offer Sweeney a Round 1 pick for the Swedish stopper.
RELATED: Could the Bruins land a top 10 pick in a Linus Ullmark trade?
Advertisement

A year ago, when Ullmark was fresh off winning his Vezina and with two years left on term, would have been the most opportune time for the Bruins to deal for a high pick or a proven roster player. Even then, trade partners would have been restricted to cities Ullmark would approve in trade — all of which remains true today. Neither Ullmark nor the Bruins have revealed the teams he would accept as his new port of call.
Get Sports Headlines
The Globe's most recent sports headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.
Enter Email
Six clubs — Chicago, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Philadelphia, and San Jose — head to Vegas holding a pair of first-round picks apiece. Ottawa owns pick No. 25, the spot the Bruins wheeled to Detroit at the 2023 trade deadline to acquire Tyler Bertuzzi. The Red Wings subsequently dished it to the Senators when acquiring Alex DeBrincat.

ADVERTISING

Of those six clubs holding a pair of aces, the Flyers could be the most intriguing as a potential trade partner. If not for losing goaltender Carter Hart to his ongoing legal problems, the Flyers could have made the playoffs had he been available. The Flyers own Round 1 picks 12 and 32. Would it be worth it for Philadelphia to surrender No. 32 for that last year remaining on Ullmark’s deal? Looks like a no-brainer from here, but, again … Ullmark’s trade list of “yeas” and “nays” remains hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wickenheiser’s front porch.
Advertisement

The Flyers finished 4 points below the wild-card cut line in the East this season. Ullmark (31 in July) and fellow Swede Samuel Ersson (25 in October) would seem to be a fit nearly as perfect as the hug-hug-me-do brothers Jeremy Swayman and Ullmark. For that last pick in Round 1, the Flyers could accept the risk that Ullmark could walk after the one season, while also having him for all of 2024-25, hoping to sell him on an extension.
RELATED: As the goalie market turns: Devils trade for Flames’ Jacob Markstrom, Kings acquire Darcy Kuemper from Capitals
Word around the Flyers early this past week was that they want to move on from Cam Atkinson, the former Boston College star winger, now 35, whose production plummeted this season (13-15–28). Atkinson can play either wing and has displayed some power-play pop over the years (106 PP points).
If the Flyers would eat, say, half of Atkinson’s one year remaining at $5.87 million, he could be a bona fide Line 2-3 plug-in for the Bruins for a season, particularly now that it appears a fait accompli that forward Jake DeBrusk won’t be extending his stay on Causeway.
If the top of the draft order goes off as planned Friday, the Sharks will lead off by selecting Macklin Celebrini, the Boston University forward who just won college hockey’s top honor (Hobey Baker) as a freshman. He’ll turn pro right away and report directly to the Sharks’ top line or head to the Bay Area next spring after playing his sophomore season at the right end of Comm. Ave.
Be it immediately or in the spring of 2025, Celebrini is likely looking at a long, potentially torturous grind in San Jose, where the lowly Sharks have linked together five playoff DNQs. He will be stepping into a scenario reminiscent of that of Clayton Keller, another BU standout, who turned pro at 18 with the Coyotes in the spring following his freshman year with the Terriers.
Advertisement

Keller, a slick and impactful winger, was plucked at the No. 7 spot by the Coyotes in 2016. Eight years later, he’s on his way with the team to Utah, after playing in only nine playoff games since signing with the Coyotes. Had he remained at BU, he could have declared free agency after his senior year (summer 2020) and signed an entry-level deal with the team of his choosing. He already could have his name chiseled into the Stanley Cup once or twice. Instead, he’s off to Salt Lake, his first crack at free agency scheduled for July 1, 2028.
Following the Sharks, the next four picks are owned by the Blackhawks, Ducks, Blue Jackets, and Canadiens, all of whom look destined to finish again below the playoff cut line in 2024-25.
Including San Jose, those five also-rans have combined to post 21 DNQs over the last five seasons. Once down in the NHL, it’s a long, filthy climb out of the Original 32 dumpster.
Bruins’ offseason to-do list

Default Mono Sans Mono Serif Sans Serif Comic Fancy Small Caps
Default X-Small Small Medium Large X-Large XX-Large
Default Outline Dark Outline Light Outline Dark Bold Outline Light Bold Shadow Dark Shadow Light Shadow Dark Bold Shadow Light Bold
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%

3:53

WATCH: The B’s have money to spend and plenty of holes to fill. Boston.com writer Conor Ryan highlights the Bruins biggest needs.

BIG DEALS​

A Swayman swap​

an interesting thought​

Bereft of draft picks, and currently without a first-round pick for a third straight draft, the Bruins are not poised to be major players in Vegas this coming week. A Linus Ullmark deal could brighten the picture somewhat, but otherwise general manager Don Sweeney’s greatest tradeable asset is … hold on, Gallery Gods … Jeremy Swayman.
Advertisement

Unthinkable, right? Until you think it through a little.
Only 25, Swayman looks like he could be a franchise goalie here for eight years or more. He is also a restricted free agent, possibly headed again to the salary arbitration soul-sucking machine. Swayman is a rare commodity, one that could induce an acquiring club to pay him top-of-the-market money (led by Florida’s Sergei Bobrovsky at $10 million per).
The return in a trade from Boston’s standpoint would have to include a franchise center and perhaps a No. 3-4 defenseman — the club’s two critical needs. Both players would have to be, like Swayman, mid-20s, and also under contract with numbers that work comfortably within the cap. Yes, a giant ask, but otherwise it would be managerial malpractice to wheel away a potential franchise goalie who is still maybe a few years from entering his prime performance seasons.
The follow-on step would be to extend Ullmark’s deal by three or four years, along with promoting untested Providence stopper Brandon Bussi, who turns 26 Tuesday.
Dealing Swayman would be, by far, the riskiest, most aggressive move Sweeney has made since taking control of the corner office in 2015. For potential impact, it would have the potential to rival the seismic deal of Nov. 7, 1975, in which GM Harry Sinden wheeled franchise icon Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais to the Rangers for a package that included Jean Ratelle and Brad Park. They were all big names, but also older names, which slightly diminished the overall risk. The Ratelle-Park combo helped the Bruins twice make it to the Cup Final and the semifinals twice more over the next four seasons during what was the height of the franchise’s glorious Lunchpail AC era.
Advertisement

Sinden’s other bold, big-impact moves included the acquisitions of Rick Middleton from the Rangers (1976) and Cam Neely from Vancouver (1986) — two relative unknowns, undervalued by the clubs that drafted them, who soon became franchise forwards with the Black and Gold.
Rarely do we see such impactful, franchise-shifting deals anymore in the NHL’s salary cap/free agency era. Transformations are more likely to occur the day free agency begins (a week from Monday, by the way), which is what happened here when the Bruins signed Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard in 2006.
Swayman’s profile, and the current state of a Boston franchise unable to win more than a first-round series the last five seasons, at least raises the question whether Sweeney could consider a landmark deal. Such opportunities are few, and fraught with huge risk — something that didn’t keep Sinden from making three of the best deals in franchise history.
Jeremy Swayman has the looks of a franchise player.
Jeremy Swayman has the looks of a franchise player.MATTHEW J. LEE/GLOBE STAFF

ETC.​

McDavid earned​

his own hardware​

Connor McDavid’s point production in the Cup Final was somewhat muted out of the gate, at least by his otherworldly standards. He was contained to 0-3–3 in Games 1-3, before piling on with 1-3–4 in Game 4 and 2-2–4 in Game 5.
The Oilers will return to Sunrise for Game 7 Monday night with McDavid the clear-cut MVP candidate in the playoffs, Cup or no Cup. Only one non-goalie in NHL history, Reggie Leach, ever took home playoff MVP (Conn Smythe) honors while playing for the runner-up.
RELATED: Oilers force Panthers to Game 7 in attempt to become first team in 82 years to erase 3-0 deficit to win Stanley Cup
Leach, a Bruins draft pick, won the Smythe in 1976 with the Flyers, who were rubbed out by the Canadiens in a four-game sweep, Leach collecting four goals in the Final, finishing the postseason 19-5–24 in 16 games, including his five-goal heroics May 6 vs. the Bruins that clinched the semifinal series at the Spectrum.
McDavid, appearing in the Final for the first time, will enter Game 7 with a playoff-record 34 assists and points total (42) that ranks fourth all time. Wayne Gretzky set the one-season mark for playoff points during his Oiler halcyon days, connecting for 17-30–47 in 1985 and winning his first of two MVPs.
The four goalies to win the Smythe while backing the Cup runner-up were Roger Crozier (Detroit, 1966), Glenn Hall (St. Louis, 1968), Ron Hextall (Philadelphia, 1987), and Jean-Sebastien Giguere (Anaheim, 2003). None of the four ever repeated as Smythe winners.

Loose pucks​

Just under three weeks after taking over the top spot in the Blue Jackets front office, Don Waddell canned Pascal Vincent as coach, making the 52-year-old the 12th bench boss firing of the 2023-24 season. The others sent packing: Jay Woodcroft (Oilers), Dean Evason (Wild), Craig Berube (Blues), D.J. Smith (Senators), Lane Lambert (Islanders), Todd McLellan (Kings), Lindy Ruff (Devils), Don Granato (Sabres), David Quinn (Sharks), Dave Hakstol (Kraken), and Sheldon Keefe (Maple Leafs). No word yet on Vincent’s replacement, who’ll be charged with hoisting the Blue Jackets back into the playoffs for the first time since they lost to the Lightning, 4-1, in the 2020 bubble games … Jay Leach, two years after leaving the top coaching job at AHL Providence for an assistant’s gig in Seattle, landed in Boston as one of Jim Montgomery’s assistants just days after Hakstol was kicked to the curb by the Kraken. Joe Sacco, 10 years after arriving here as one of Claude Julien’s assistants, also has been promoted to associate coach alongside Montgomery. It’s likely that Sacco, bench boss in Colorado over four seasons (2009-13), will handle some of Montgomery’s off-day workouts and will fill in for some of the daily media interactions — similar to the roles Barry Smith and Dave Lewis fulfilled for years working with Scotty Bowman in Detroit. Montgomery and Bowman are longtime pals and and the two likely exchanged ideas for a different day-to-day approach after back-to-back disappointing playoff runs for Montgomery and Co. … The Rangers on Tuesday put out a teaser when placing veteran center Barclay Goodrow on waivers (with three years/$3.64 million cap hit remaining on his deal) and the Sharks took the bait, easily fitting the former Shark on their payroll. Goodrow, 31, was poised to be cut free once the annual buyout window opened 48 hours after the conclusion of the Cup Final. Goodrow has never been a big producer, but he is a solid (6 feet 2 inches, 210 pounds) left-shot pivot capable of leading the bottom six and winning faceoffs (54 percent this season). At a reduced pay rate, he could have been a solid pick-up for the Bruins, who saw a lot of Goodrow during his days with Tampa Bay, where he won the Cup in 2020 and ‘21 … Reggie Leach’s five-spot in 1976, with Gilles Gilbert in net for the Bruins, tied what remains the record for goals in one playoff game. Montreal’s Newsy Lalonde was the first to do it in 1919, followed by the Habs’ Maurice Richard in 1944. Leach’s five goals came only two weeks after Toronto’s Darryl Sittler scorched the Flyers’ Bernie Parent for five of his own. Penguins superstar Mario Lemieux remains the last to do it, going 5-3–8 against Hextall and the Flyers in a 10-7 win April 25, 1989. Lemieux and New Jersey’s Patrik Sundstrom remain the lone NHLers to roll up eight in one playoff game … As of this fall, four of the five players the Bruins drafted last June will be playing college hockey, including Cornell forward Ryan Walsh, who posted a solid first year for the Big Red. Center Chris Pelosi spent the season with USHL Sioux Falls and now will head to Quinnipiac. Another USHLer, center Beckett Hendrickson will suit up for the Minnesota Golden Gophers. And Casper Nassen, a 6-3 Swedish forward, is headed to North America for the first time and will join the Miami University roster. The only member of the club’s 2023 draft class not playing in the NCAA will be Swedish defenseman Kristian Kostadinski, who’ll remain with Frolunda. It’s possible all five will be in Brighton for the July 1 start of the Bruins’ four-day development camp … Tennis legend Roger Federer, not a hockey guy, just days ago delivered a humorous, poignant commencement speech at Dartmouth. Some of his words, though framed around tennis, apply to all sports, and might resonate with the 18-year-olds who’ll hear their names called at this coming week’s draft in Las Vegas, as well as those left unchosen. Over his career, noted Federer, he won nearly 80 percent of 1,526 singles matches. “What percentage of the points,” he asked the Big Green grads, “do you think I won in the those matches?” Answer: 54 percent, which is also to say Federer lost 46 percent of all the points he chased around the world. The lesson? “When you lose almost every second point,” said the Wimbledon grand master, “you learn not to dwell on every shot.” Accept the failure, and move on. “Be relentless,” said the artful Roger. “Adapt and grow.” … The Sphere, located roughly a mile off the Vegas Strip, was built at a cost of $2.3 billion and looks like it fell out of the solar system and plunked right down there at 255 Sands Ave. in the Nevada desert. Rumors persist that the NHL hoped Al “The Planet” Iafrate would call out the names of the first round Friday night. Globe efforts to contact The Planet were unsuccessful.

Kevin Paul Dupont can be reached at [email protected].

• Love

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
It's not all about stats, this kid screams guts and determination. Just a solid hockey player with great upside.
I’m all over Chychrun, Pinto, Greig, Pick 7 or 12

But if he walks away with Mr Reddit’s nonsense trade of 25OA, Ostapchuk, and Forsberg (any retention would be great) I would be very happy

Forsberg 1 year at $2.75 M with 25-50% retained home run

I would expect if he played here behind this D and responsible F group would be solid good

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad