What do the penguins have to give up to get Laine?

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
What about a 1st round pick and Graves ? I know the Penguins don’t want to give up future pics, but with Laine he does have that superstar ability and he’s young still. 8.7 million is a nice cap hit specially for a guy who has scored more than 60 points in the last 5 seasons only once over 70 in his career I’d take Geno’s contract any day over that ! With that being said, maybe graves and 2nd round ?

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
What about a 1st round pick and Graves ? I know the Penguins don’t want to give up future pics, but with Laine he does have that superstar ability and he’s young still. 8.7 million is a nice cap hit specially for a guy who has scored more than 60 points in the last 5 seasons only once over 70 in his career I’d take Geno’s contract any day over that ! With that being said, maybe graves and 2nd round ?
(Laine Hasn’t scored more that 30 points in last 5 years) typo line 4-5

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
If they could trade like a 3rd and dump some contracts off on them like Rakell or Smith I’d go for it I’m not sure what they are actually looking for in a return but I definitely wouldn’t give up a 1st or a prospect like Yager or Pickering.

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
If they could trade like a 3rd and dump some contracts off on them like Rakell or Smith I’d go for it I’m not sure what they are actually looking for in a return but I definitely wouldn’t give up a 1st or a prospect like Yager or Pickering.
Definitely no prospect at all!!! Definitely not a first round pick for three players, I wanted to see moved. Most of all this year were Riley Smith, Jarry an graves I could live with Rakell I think he does have some Pedegree I believe he needs to get his nose dirty and get the greasy goals like bunting

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
A one-for-one for Reilly Smith works. A multi-player trade involving Jarry and Merzlikins might work, but the Jackets would have to add and/or retain.

Otherwise, I am not interested in sending futures.
I never thought of a one for one for the Goalie’s. I really like Joel B from Wilks I was hoping that Fleury would’ve came back and mentored him but I don’t see that happening just using bed an Joel and getting rid of Jurry without taking on another, Goalie would save us 3 million in cap. Space.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
A one-for-one for Reilly Smith works. A multi-player trade involving Jarry and Merzlikins might work, but the Jackets would have to add and/or retain.

Otherwise, I am not interested in sending futures.
Nah, they'd have to cough up a 3rd rounder say in '25 if we were to take Laines salary and term. It just depends if he's even ready to play. Have no idea where he is in that process. But IF he's healthy and ready to go and there's clear evidence of that then you make such a deal. We need guys who can snipe. IF we get the good version of him he's capable. But again, we need very clear evidence he's ok.

Laine with one million retained
'25 3rd

for Smith.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Nah, they'd have to cough up a 3rd rounder say in '25 if we were to take Laines salary and term. It just depends if he's even ready to play. Have no idea where he is in that process. But IF he's healthy and ready to go and there's clear evidence of that then you make such a deal. We need guys who can snipe. IF we get the good version of him he's capable. But again, we need very clear evidence he's ok.

Laine with one million retained
'25 3rd

for Smith.
and then flip him.

Reactions: mrd1166

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Laine is a f***ing drunken chronically injured clown shoe.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
They just traded with the Pens last year.

I had no idea who you were talking about and Googled it.
I should amend it by saying "they won't make a trade of significance with us"

On February 22, 2024, The Columbus Blue Jackets traded Emil Bemström to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Alex Nylander and a conditional pick in the 2026 NHL Draft.Apr 18, 2024

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
I had no idea who you were talking about and Googled it.
I should amend it by saying "they won't make a trade of significance with us"

On February 22, 2024, The Columbus Blue Jackets traded Emil Bemström to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Alex Nylander and a conditional pick in the 2026 NHL Draft.Apr 18, 2024
And Alex Nylander scored 10 goals in 15 games all because Sully hates younger players He was reluctant to even give Drew O’Connor a shot. #FireSullivan.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
life, sanity, and reasonable thinking.

Cbus STILL considers Pitt as their big brother that they can never beat. Doubt they ever trade with us

"Hi how yah doing?"

Emil Bemstrom - Pittsburgh Penguins Right Wing - ESPN

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
We aren’t in the position to give up first round picks.
Seriously, I really don't get people that still hope we do.

Last year and part of the EK trade was also to move out a few bad contracts along with the 1st overall that I'm sure KD regrets doing.

Look at how the draft played out, we would have had a shot at Helenius, Eiserman etc..

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Seriously, I really don't get people that still hope we do.

Last year and part of the EK trade was also to move out a few bad contracts along with the 1st overall that I'm sure KD regrets doing.

Look at how the draft played out, we would have had a shot at Helenius, Eiserman etc..
This is exactly it on the EK trade. We got a hall of fame defenseman who was on a contract that couldn’t be traded to 90% of the league. We were in the exact right position in terms of having contracts we needed to get rid of, and not being true Cup contenders, to take on EK’s contract. As fans, instead of watching Petry, Granlund, and Ruutta every night, we had the opportunity to watch EK. But to your point, we lost a 1st. We don’t need to stay in the business of trading away 1sts.

Graves to a team needing a LD.

Maybe Accairi to Columbus and we take Laine.

Not adding anything.
I’m curious to see how this defense does with Rierden gone. I know it will take some time to see how this defense finally shapes out under Quinn, but maybe Graves ends up looking better by the trade deadline, and that is the time to trade him. We don’t need cap space right now, we need assets. . . Graves isn’t an asset unless he establishes himself as being a positive contributor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad